Subaru Owners Unite - Your support needed <<Read In>>

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2002, 01:59 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Referring to the previous threads about the sudden IM price cuts

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=141344

Please post if you are prepared to act as a group to approach IM to discuss what can be done (if anything) to compensate people who have had paid list price (or thereabouts) for the impreza/legacy prior to the recent price cuts. This issue also affects anyone with PCP's and the residuals of ALL subaru models so as much support as possible would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

Old 16 October 2002, 02:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Don't you think your all being a bit pathetic over this, would you go back to tesco's the day after you bought something and complain that they had dropped the price over night, get real!!!
Old 16 October 2002, 02:10 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Angry

Couldn't agree more, Wurzel.

See what happened with the XBox and PS2, and see whether Sony/MS cared about wasting the punters' money.
Old 16 October 2002, 02:11 PM
Luke
BANNED

I dont care.Hard luck...But if there is going to be a free fight ,I'm coming!!
Old 16 October 2002, 02:14 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, come on guys.

My personal stand point may not agree with what Ru$$Rip is trying to do (I would rather not say either way)... but give the guy a break.

Please only post on THIS thread if you WANT to support what he's doing, otherwise you're off topic, and not actually helping anything at all.

Feel free to post your views against it in the other thread.

All the best

Simon
Old 16 October 2002, 02:14 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I think all you guys have a point but why not just leave the bloke alone and if he can get support then fair enough. If not then it is obvious most people share your view. What he's looking to do does not effect you in any way...
Old 16 October 2002, 02:15 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Moved to the 'other' thread as requested.

David

[Edited by Shark - 10/16/2002 3:04:21 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 02:20 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Mods - Now you see what a bunch of retards I am trying to work with here. Please delete this thread and I will go it alone. So much for team spirit.

[Edited by Ru$$Rip - 10/16/2002 2:21:46 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 02:20 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mods - here's an apple for you. Can I sit at the front?
Old 16 October 2002, 02:28 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Red face

Get your facts straight Marko - MS actually compensated Xbox owners when they dramatically cut the cost of the console. I would say shaving 3.5k off the new price of a car overnight is pretty dramatic wouldnt you!
Old 16 October 2002, 02:29 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I personally dont agree with the petition but I think it is a real shame people have to knock the guy who clearly feels very strongly about this.
This thread is now completely useless as IM would just laugh at it. Try again Ru$$Rip (if you can be bothered) and good luck to you.

Steve
Old 16 October 2002, 02:30 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8, and just for the records the petition was not my idea!!
Old 16 October 2002, 02:31 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MS actually compensated Xbox owners when they dramatically cut the cost of the console. I would say shaving 3.5k off the new price of a car overnight is pretty dramatic wouldnt you!
Fair point. But MS's compensation was nothing more than a publicity stunt - and they didn't give the money back, they gave away a few games which probably cost them a total of £5 per person.

Would you be happy if IM compensated you by giving you, say, a £150 jacket (which probably cost them £20) to make up for your £3k?
Old 16 October 2002, 02:32 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

What a deep shame.

MarkO (and others, but particularly MarkO as he is the only one who posted originally and then continued after I had politely asked that you don't post unless you want to support this - no victimisation - purely that).

Can you not see that you are just getting in the way of the community helping each other. This is what we should all be about. Just because YOU don't personally find something important, it doesn't mean that nobody else does.

What you have done in this thread is rude, and beyond that it is trying to force your views and ideals on the entire community, not letting the community speak as a whole.

Imagine if the person or organisation running scoobynet were to do that. It would be a damn site easier, but it would also mean that everyone had to sing to MY tune, or they couldn't post.

You've spoilt something today, and I think the community has lost a little something due to it.

I personally DO NOT think that Ru$$Rip's point was valid. That is MY opinion. But I don't know whether a good chunk of people may well have thought that, so all I was trying to do was offer the community a chance to speak. You've helped take that away.

I personally think it's about time ScoobyNet starts to crack down on this kind of anti-community spirit behavior, but as with all things, I will post a thread asking if this is what people want. If it isn't I have absolutely no problem with forgetting all about it, but if it is, I will do everything in my power to help.

PLEASE don't start a flame war about this, as I'm not interested and don't have the time to respond.

Dissapointed regards

Simon
Old 16 October 2002, 02:34 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Apologies. I genuinely didn't see the request not to respond in this thread other than positively to Russ's request.
Old 16 October 2002, 02:38 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If i had bought a car for X price & the next day they reduced the price by £3500 then i would feel well aggreived, just like any other normal human being!! its very easy for anybody who didnt get affected by this to criticise them as whingers, im afraid this is a fact off life with any product these days, but every credit Ru$$, if you dont try to address this issue with IM then you will never know & if you do get something out off this than you can have the last laugh can you not.....
Old 16 October 2002, 02:40 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

To respond to Russ,the dealer in question may not have known about the drastic changes to the MY03 but i totally agree that a 3k price drop, on a car you payed full list for less than a month ago is outrageous.
I would contact the sales manager at the dealers and state your feelings (you may have already done this) me personally i would push for him to trade your car against an MY03 model and see what he says and keep pushing,remember i was only offered 12k for my MY01 by the same dealer but it ended up at 15k after some gentle negotiations.
I'm with you on this Russ and i wouldnt let it go you may be suprised what you get if you ask to see the sales manager in question,in my experiance he is very approachable.
Remember he knows he is up against IM's set prices for the car and can only act on their approval.

Zippy
Old 16 October 2002, 02:44 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys and I totally agree. Whats the saying.... 'If you dont ask then you dont get'
Old 16 October 2002, 02:45 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

If I'd just bought an sti I personally would agree with this trying to get compensation. I think its diabolical personally. And if I bought an expensive item from a shop and the day after it was dramatically reduced, you bet I'd go and say something.

I don't have an sti though, so I can't add my name to this (can i?)
but I certainly don't think russ should be mocked for trying to make a stand.

Have the people who've disagreed own sti's / wrx's ??
Keep it up Ru$$rip.
Old 16 October 2002, 02:49 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

I never intended to mock Russ but price cuts are a fact of life and car dealers are no different to anyone else, If Russ thinks IM should give him compensation after owning his car for 2 months before the price was cut then good luck to him but I would be VERY suprised if IM/Subaru didn't tell him tough luck.

[Edited by Wurzel - 10/16/2002 2:50:00 PM]
Old 16 October 2002, 02:49 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

Everyone has clearance offers from time to time, and this is all this is - an exercise to clear excess stocks of the f**kugly bug-eyed model.

Audi were offering huge savings on S8's recently and Toyota are offering £3k off current Avensises to clear the way for the new model.

Its par for the course. Imprezas and rock solid residuals haven't been issued in the same breath as each other since grey imports really took off 5 years ago.
Old 16 October 2002, 02:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

I agree with Ru$$rip. I think that the people with the biggest grievances are those who ordered, and agreed a price, b4 the MY '03 was announced.
MY'02 prices should have fallen as soon as IM knew that a model change was imminent, not when they felt like telling dealers, or when the new model has been unveiled. No, stuff that, it should have happened when Fuji Heavy Industries knew!
I'm well aware that this sort of thing does happen, but IMHO, IT SHOULDN'T!
IM: My car will be 5 years old next year, and I'll be looking.
IF you're still the importers, and if nothing has benn said about this, I'm unlikely to have another Scoob. Sad but true.
Evo, anyone?
Alcazar
Alcazar
Old 16 October 2002, 02:57 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

MarkO.. my apologies for mentioning you above other people in that case.

regards

Simon
Old 16 October 2002, 02:58 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

This is not really the same. You would expect a model of car (and it is the flagship model) to be around a little longer than the bugeye has.
The model has only been out a little while and is replaced already, then to add insult to injury the price is dropped without warning.

I certainly understand why people are p1$$ed off.

Pumpkin / wurzel / marko - have any of you just bought a wrx / sti.

Paulb
Old 16 October 2002, 02:59 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Evo anyone?
LOL. I think you're forgetting that nearly the same thing happened with Evos. Mitsu slated the importers, taking out ads in Autocar claiming that the Jap imports were dangerous, overpriced and generally a bad thing. Then 2 weeks later they announced that they would be officially importing the cars, at a premium price. So far so good.

But then they announced that grey imports could be serviced at proper dealers, meaning that those who'd paid a 4k premium for an 'official' import might as well have bought a 'grey'.

It happens all the time - it's called market forces.
Old 16 October 2002, 03:02 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Pumpkin / wurzel / marko - have any of you just bought a wrx / sti.
Yep. Bought an STI IV Type-R for £27k 4 years ago. When I went to sell it earlier this year, I found that it was worth £11k - about 3-4k less than it would have been if IM hadn't reversed their decision about "never officially importing the STI in to the UK". I lost £16k in 3.5 years.

But so what? 99% of cars are not an investment. Sports cars such as the Scoob even less so. Anyone who buys an Impreza of any kind at any price and expects it to do anything other than lose a lot of money on it in the future is a fool, frankly.
Old 16 October 2002, 03:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

No I have a 2000GT.

The only reason Subaru changed the design after such a short space of time was because you lot complained it was fugly and now subaru have heard you and done something about it your still not happy and have found something else to complain about.
Old 16 October 2002, 03:09 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

I gave my views about the price cuts in the other thread(s); i.e. i'm not all that bothered, and for the record, I bought an STi in July this year and paid list price for it, didn't have much choice as there was a waiting list.

Charlie.
Old 16 October 2002, 03:13 PM
cullenj
Scooby Regular

Red face

Guys, I had a similar situation with porsche 5 years ago when they cut 7 grand off the list price of 996's. I think they reimbursed anyone who'd bought in the last 2-3 months but anyone else was basically fcuked. This happened around the same time as euro imports really took off. I lost about 13 grand in 18 months but could have been worse. Euro import is the way forward (and has been for a while). Dealer cuts u r now seeing still fall 2 grand short!

James
Old 16 October 2002, 03:18 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

The best positive advice I can give is write to Sam Burton, the MB of Subaru UK and ask him - got to be worth a try!

Subaru UK Limited
Ryder Street
West Bromwich
West Midlands
B70 0EJ

David

Quick Reply: Subaru Owners Unite - Your support needed <<Read In>>