Sponsored by:

EXTENDED WARRANTY - BEWARE !!

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2001, 08:10 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Last service (45K) garage diagnosed piston slap. Subaru engineer came to listen - after 3 weeks no word so phoned Extended warranty "manager" who read my file on his PC and read selected bits - slap when cold + when hot - ah ! its been modified - "fuel boost valve" and exhaust mods.
He said - "the increased HP caused the slap". I pointed out that standard cars with fewer miles also had slap - he said "the higher HP would increase the wear so could have caused the slap", (ignoring the facts and evidence that it occurs without the help of modifications !), "and ANY mods invalidate the warranty". I said surely only if the mod can be shown to have caused the problem. He said we deal in facts (!) and the car is modified so the warranty is void. So I said if you use the argument that the increase of approx 5% on the PPP car from my mods were responsible for the slap, you will use the same line if there is any transmission failure to avoid payment. "I cannot say, as it depends on the facts of what failed" !!!!

So I asked for some of my £588 back (paid in March) if you are not going to honour any claims - "we do not refund any warranty payments".

BE WARNED - think carefully before buying extended warranty as Subaru attitude seems any modification (non standard part)allows them instant get out - REGARDLESS AS TO WHETHER THE MOD COULD HAVE CAUSED THE PROBLEM OR NOT.
My advice - do not touch extended warranty if you are going to fit ANY non Subaru part.

Stan
Old 03 September 2001, 08:20 PM
Jon Jonzz
Scooby Regular

Two things spring to mind.

1. If you purchased the warranty from the supplying garage, speak to them. They will usually have more clout than a single individual.

2. Small Claims Court - relatively cheap to pursue.
Old 03 September 2001, 08:27 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice. I'm just about to buy a Subaru (hurry up bank clearing!) and as it's a MY97 was considering getting a extended or even third party warranty.

eeeeek decisions, decisions!

Matt
Old 03 September 2001, 08:47 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

JJ - thanks,
1 - warranty came from Extended Warranty Dept.
2 - I don't think SC Court exists anymore as I suffered 4 buckled rims (2 on 2 separate occasions) in very deep pot holes last winter and inspite of photo evidence and a brief the Co Council's get out was -"if we aren't aware of the holes we can't be expected to repair them" !!! (in spite of last inspection being 88 days before my incident, which seems too long an interval !)Brief said they know it is not now cost effective to pursue small (£580) claims through the court as it costs more than the claim, so they stone wall.

Also Subaru say if it aint "failed" ie broken, and is not affecting the performance of the car it is not covered. But the warning about mods seems clear to anyone thinking of fitting ANY non Subaru part.
Stan

BTTT - will repost this for as long as I remember in hope that no one else will "waste" their hard earned.

[This message has been edited by StanS (edited 11 September 2001).]