Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fuel for my scooby in France and Spain

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2002, 07:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Don't know about Spain, but France is ace, even tiny supermarkets have 98, and it's MUCH cheaper than over here.
Have you got a route down France? Do try to get off the motorways if you can, driving over there is more of a pleasure too.
Alcazar

[Edited by alcazar - 10/8/2002 8:00:09 PM]
Old 08 October 2002, 06:51 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it has been asked before, but I (and my wife) will be driving to Spain (2 days through France), what is the correct fuel to use....

I know it is "Super" or something, but don't know the exact word..... (I use Optimax in the UK) for Spain and France.

Also are most petrol stations self serve??
Old 08 October 2002, 06:54 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I don't know about Spain but 98RON is available everywhere in France (even the two pump stations in the middle of nowhere) and is clearly labeled as 98. NUL is also clearly labelled 95.

Matt
Old 08 October 2002, 07:50 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Steve,

France only - 98RON is labelled Sans Plomb 98. Most of the service stations are self-service, as are the supermarkets where you'll often find a small difference in price (to your advantage). Just fill up and hand over your credit card, they'll do the rest

Old 09 October 2002, 08:47 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Driving through the tunnel (eurotunnel).

Then staying one night in Rouen, one night in La Rochelle.....

After that Spain, north (not finalised town yet) for one night, Milan for one night, then Andalucia for a few nights.....

Same (or similar) in reverse to get home.....
Old 10 October 2002, 06:33 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

PETROL....
Old 11 October 2002, 03:32 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Having spent a month and 4448 miles driving round europe this summer I think I'm pretty qualified to answer this!
France - Sans Plomb 98 is the one
Spain - something similar 98
Most places have 98 and the pumps are easy enough to work out. Motorway signs tell you how far it is until the next services so you shouldn't get stuck without fuel.
Expect to pay 1.1 euros per litre in france and 1.03 euros in spain, andorra is about 0.7euros per litre.
Both French and Spanish autoroutes are excellent, uncrowded and well made. The tolls on the french ones are frequent but cheap, whereas the spanish ones are further apart and more expensive each time. I reckoned on doing 5-6 hundred miles a day at about 85mph on the motorways.starting around 9am and finishing around 5 only stopping for tolls and fuel. Most autoroutes are dual carriageway, but due to a lack of traffic that's not really a problem. If you are tempted to use the French 'N' roads, they are good, but you can get slowed quite considerably around towns and cities even if there is a bypass.
Be careful on sundays as most hypermarket petrol stations are open, but the pumps will only accept French issued credit/debit cards!!!!!
Also Let your card provider know that you will be bombing round europe, as they disbled my GFs cards as we used them in France, Germany, Austria and Italy in the space of 3 days, having not used them at home for ages.
Enjoy your trip!
Toerag