Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Toyota MR2...nothing to be afraid of!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2000, 07:34 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before the untimely demise of the last incarnation of this thread, Ian Cook wrote:

"Surely if the thread was closed it was done so for a reason, opening another will not win you freinds"

What on earth is going on here????? I was under the impression that this BBS was a forum for free speech?

Confused,

Pat.
Old 10 February 2000, 07:52 PM
yunus
Scooby Regular

Thats what I though Pat, but obviously the scooby doos are scared of the word "Afraid"
Old 10 February 2000, 08:27 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

OK so you want to start talking about road racing and burn ups from the lights which is what all these threads are heading towards, ie if i meet so and so in his XYZ at the lights should i be afraid of him beating me???

Very helfpul
Old 10 February 2000, 09:33 PM
yunus
Scooby Regular

Ian, chill out man, no point getting stressed about it, its not that people are abusing each other, or insulting individuals!

People see a car that could be a match for the Imprezza, they use the word "afraid" as in should *we* or *you* Imprezza owners worry about a supra? or a Evo? or what ever? mearly a different way of expressing the many ways you can sentence a topic heading.

Like pat say there should be free speech, as what is the whole point of having a BBS if people are not allowed to say what they want?

For sure filtering out swearing etc is okay, but to restrict what people say, or topics they etc etc...well thats just a form of control.

So what if people use the word afraid? its a light hearted fun topic heading...

afraid to use octane booster?
afraid of a gatso?
afraid of speeding?
afraid of admiral?

you see there are many ways to use the afraid word, i say who ever wants to use should be able to do so with out any risks of the topic being closed.

Ian dont take this the wrong way!
Old 10 February 2000, 10:25 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I will have another word with Phil (the Webmaster) tomorrow and see what his opinion is, whatever he says goes. He was quite happy we were locking the pointless threads the other day when we checked, so i dont see him changing his mind.

BTW Pat, its not a forum for free speech, and never has been, or would you like us to allow talk about child molesters and rapists on here as well ????

If everybody would like it to degenerate into a slanging match and talks about racing on public roads, and burning cars off at the lights, contact the webmaster.

[This message has been edited by Ian Cook (edited 10-02-2000).]
Old 11 February 2000, 02:08 AM
Charlie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you wish to talk about random stuff, including, how crap Lotus Notes really is, what you've had for lunch, how many Kit-Kat Chunkies you've eaten today, and slagging off Supras and MR2s, and getting involved in the ongoing debate about whther permies or contractors are better off, please feel free to join us on i-chat, the anarchist wing of the Impreza Web Owner's Club.

To subscribe, send a post to I-chat-subscribe@onelist.com

And keep the BBS for vaguely scoob related stuff?

Old 11 February 2000, 11:25 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

Ian,

how can you tell where a thread will ultimately lead? the last incarnation of this thread was barely started, and seemed more a laugh about the word "afraid" than anything else...

FWIW, the MR2 Turbo is a very capable car, and with the right mods *will* outrun a Scoob in a straight line. Whether it's sensible to even attempt such antics on the open road is another issue entirely. But then there's always the safe haven of Santa Pod if someone thinks they have a point to prove.

As to whether you should be afraid of someone beating you, the answer has got to be no, regardless of what car it might be.... it goes without saying that racing on the public road is not a good idea at the best of times!

That would bring the issue back to an academic one (barring Santa Pod, I suppose) and a valid technology comparison. Eg, it's impossbile to damage a Toyota 3S-GTE engine due to cam belt failure simply because it's a non-interference design. A good idea? Yes. Worth looking into for the Subaru Phase III engine? Definitely. Relevent? Yes, if you've ever been unlucky enough to have a cambelt break.

Hopefully Phil will see the light and realise that censorship is a thing of the past. If not, there's always the alt hierarchy of Usenet which could carry the same traffic! As to free speech, I am not advocating that the BBS be turned into a haven of child molesters, as you put it. What I am a bit concerned about is the closing of threads which have barely started and have not, as yet, had any offending content. If the thread was blatantly promoting unsafe driving practices, that might have been different....

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 11 February 2000, 11:44 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The thread that was closed was asking if the owner of a WRX should be afraid of meeting a freind in an unmodified MR2 turbo at the lights at the end of a dual carriageway, read like he was asking if he would beat it in a race from the lights to me ???? The subsequent threads that were closed relating to the same topic, with similar headings were also closed because of the way the topic appeared to be heading.

BTW I havent closed all the "afraid" threads, as some of them appeared to have a point, but even they are degenerating into a pointless argument about whether mine is better than yours etc It all boils down to how much you want/or can afford to spend on your car. You could make almost any car quicker than an impreza if you had the budget!!
Old 11 February 2000, 04:14 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I agree with both parties here. It seems like a sensible thing for the webmaster to close certain topics when they feel it is getting perhaps out of hand. God forbid, what would happen if the press or any other found out about this board after one of us had an accident after racing from the lights. They would have a field day and after all, which Subaru drivers amongst us deny enjoying the odd blast from the red, amber and green? We just have to remain private about certain things and not so much public. Perhaps by voicing our questions in a more discreet manner we serve to protect our interests instead of advertising them. It seems appropriate that the administration peeps at scoobynet make sure that they never get into a situation where they would be held responsible for any consequence of our occassional motoring pleasures.

However, I also feel that the SIDC is also one of the most mature motoring organisations I have been involved in. To make sure it has remained so without getting boring has been quite impressive. We must make sure that this board, the main form of contact and discussion between many SIDC members and others, doesnt turn into an area of fascist regime. I would hate having my opinion silenced by the decision of one man.

So what I suggest is that <snip> THIS THREAD HAS BEEN EDITED BY THE POWERS THAT BE </SNIP>

(cue twighlight zoneesque music)

doh....

Cem
Old 11 February 2000, 08:05 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I hadn't read the original thread, just one of it's reincarnations. The original thread may have been about which car would be faster away from the lights on a dual carriageway. The answer would be that the MR2 would not keep up. This I know because I used to own an MR2 Turbo... :-)

Back to the point, though, is such a *hypothetical* discussion a Bad Thing(TM)? It could reveal some interesting engineering details... like how a car that's not a lot lighter (if at all), has a less powerful engine and less torque could, on paper, keep up with the Scoob and possibly even outrun it. Thoughs of torque curve and gear ratio optimisation come to mind. Relevant? Perhaps if you're thinking of engine mapping or changing your gearbox (some imprts run different ratios to UK cars, for example) it may give some insight. Perhaps not. But I guess we'll never know becasue the thread is no more.

Point about taking any car and making it faster than a Scoob taken.... look at some of these weird machines where someone has miraculously crammed an RB12 engine into a mini.... but would you want to drive to the shops in it? :-)

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 11 February 2000, 09:06 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Its not the cars we should be afraid of its the nut behind the wheel. They drive all types of cars with various low levels of skill. This is not meant to be patronising but :

If you really want to collect a few scalps in safety then go to Santa Pod, at least then you know the other guy is trying .

Cheers

chrisp
Old 11 February 2000, 09:54 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi..

I agree with Ian (and Phil) on this issue.

This is a Subaru website, that is here to assist and help prospective, current and ex owners with issues, problems and other matters pertaining to Subarus.

I have noticed that recently (over the last few months) that the content of this website has gone down hill. Only a small percentage of the posts are what I would call relevant (IMHO).

This is why I and a few other people dont post on here much more.

Please remember this is a commercialy run system, and isnt here for everyone to abuse.

Perhaps the quality and relevence of the posts has dropped due to the "quality" of people who are starting to buy scoobs ? *flame suit on* lol

As a previous post has stated... keep the crap to I-chat and other BBS's where they appreciate that sort of rubbish...

If anyone wants to reply.. email me... to save posting to the BBS

J.

Old 12 February 2000, 10:21 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ah..Cem... I was waiting for you to reply.

The BBS is a forum.... a place to discuss ideas... discoveries...concerns... but about subarus and their experiences - not about complete other crap.. use newsgroups or other BBS's for that.. or better still I-chat.. I think that was formed for that purpose (I dont know, I have never used it)

This BBS is not here to talk about crap..waste peoples time in either browsing the topics, waste the admins time in monitoring the threads, or waste the technical resources required in running this BBS.

Like I said, this isnt a Subaru club BBS, this is a commercial entity, that is being provided free of charge to its users.

Look what happened with the Chat service. Scoobynet invested money into that facility and what happened ? People started to abuse it. So.. Scoobynet pulled the plug.

Scoobynet is trying to maintain a good and valued service, and also establish itself as a pioneering online Subaru company, it doesnt want to provide or obtain a bad image by letting people degrade the service it provides.

People maintain this BBS/Service free of charge and out of their own pocket. The Webmaster is still trying to raise funds as it isnt self sustaining yet and as such is subsidicing it himself. He would like a professional, but yet interesting and funny centre for chat and information sharing...

Anyways.... I need breakfast.

J.

ps - I said mail me diret as a joke.. hence the smiley ?
pss - I am concerned the content is slowly gettting worse and worse. People seem to want to "challenge" people about what they can post and what they cant...
Old 12 February 2000, 12:13 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hmm..
I have to disagree with you there firefox. The whole point of this board is to provide a forum for discussion with as many like minded people as possible. With all due respect, what is the point of this board if we are all to start emailing each other privately instead of sharing our thoughts and opinions?

Cem
Old 12 February 2000, 05:10 PM
ChrisB

I have to go along with Firefox and Ian here.

Freedom of speech is fine in the Public Domain, but as J says, this is a commercial operation. Thus the 'management' can do what they see fit. If they believe a topic is pointless and thus wasting bandwidth then they can close it.

I've exchanged e-mails with Phil 'the Webmaster' on the traffic levels and if you read
Old 13 February 2000, 02:13 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Granted.
This forum may have its running costs and all things must be considered. However, I find it interesting that you may brand things as 'crap'. What may well be crap to you could well be light hearted, humourous, entertaining, informative, whatever, to someone else. It is impossible for you to judge the interests of all the boards members.
I dont think that this board will continue to be as succesfull as it is if the 'crap' as you say isnt posted anymore. I think it is these posts which essentially bump up the number of hits the site gets and essentially maximising your advertising potential.

As for bandwidth, well thats irrelevant. If you dont want to read it, dont click on it and save the bandwidth. There may be many people out there that may find the topic interesting.

Now the reason 'I' use this domain is because it is a cool place to find out about a LOT of things, events, items for sale, general opinions, etc. If the 'management' were to start acting like megalomanics, then I would stop using it and return to using IRC where 15 year olds are system ops and are revered like gods. I really dont expect to see hierarchy here. If people feel that the quality of the board has deteriorated, then perhaps they should stop using it and not force others to change their ways. If this IS a commercial forum, then what does it matter if this board is being filled with junk. Surely you are better off for it?
Im not too keen on the idea of emailing each other with topics and replies. I find it then becomes personal.
Cem

p.s. Just out of curiosity, can you give me a hint as to what kind of threads you guys dont like. Just outta curiosity.

Old 13 February 2000, 11:44 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lets waste some "bandwidth" then..

Cem.. I agree, what I might find "crap", some people might not... what I am saying is, that if there is any uncertainity about the content.. then leave it. But management has final say.

Some threads are becoming obviously non-scoob related.

Bandwidth will be taken up... just by downloading the topics screens.... although small... it still contributes.

You said "Now the reason 'I' use this domain is because it is a cool place to find out about a LOT of things, events, items for sale, general opinions, etc".. Arent all those topics Scoob related ?

This board used to be part of the SIDC (sort of) and when it was there, there was far greater control.... since ScoobyNet has regained the board, they have eased off alittle....

But people are now trying to be awkward.. and push it.. and see what they can get away with.

I love to read the posts... I laugh most days from people posting stuff. It is a great place. I was one of the first.... Maybe I was the first when Phil had just installed it to test the BBS.. I have been on here ever since...It used to on one of my servers. I have seen the BBS grow... and how it has "evolved"... I am just concerned about it turning into something like the RSOC BBS..... Which I know it will.

I get many emails each day off people, asking questions and requesting info about sccobs... I dont mind it. Some things are specific to that user, hence not worth going public.

This BBS is a commercial BBS.. it strives to provide a quality service, before cost. Hence why the content does matter and why Phil is subsidising it himself. The content is important to gain business. Yes hits are the initial attraction, but when prospective clients look at the content and see "I wasted an R5 down the M1 at 120pmh* it doesnt present a good impression. Perhaps companies wont care, and think "hey, if they are dumb enough to race and speed, they will be dumb enough to buy our product".

My company, and also Phils company strive to provide a 110% quality of service to customers. I value customer service and company apperance very much. I always try to provide the best for everything, even if it costs that little extra and goes that little bit further...

Anyways.. I'm rubbling on.

Management are now watching the BBS... and they have final say... and they dont expect people to suddenly jump on their backs when they do something. Remember they arent being paid to provide this BBS. So give them some space.. and lots of thanks

J.

ps - I think its time to lock this thread... anyone objects ? lol
Old 13 February 2000, 08:28 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yeah,
I take all those points in and i'd be stupid not to agree with you as all your comments are totaly valid.
I haven't seen the RSOC board, but i can imagine the kind of content it generates and I would be the first to advocate that kind of community.
I suppose we DO have to be reminded time to time that this IS a commercially run operation and the boss is the boss at the end of the day.

Long live scoobynet etc.

Cem