ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Afraid of Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo 91???

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 1999, 07:50 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

My friend bought an Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo (built in 1991). I have to drive him on
the motorway to Thun (Switzerland).
On the way back, he wants to show me, that the 3.0 Turbo is as fast as my MY98
(+downpipe+backbox+ind.kit).
Should I be afraid of him?
He sais, that on motorways his car is faster, because he has more power (I think
240bhp and about 280lbft?).

Old 11 December 1999, 08:51 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

It may be better at 100 mph plus due to aerodynamics.

Thats the main reason that Impreza`s/evos/integrales etc are relatively crap over 100mph. The gearing is also a big factor.

I`ll be interested to hear the result though.

Bye!
Old 11 December 1999, 10:27 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

There are lots of cars with a higher top speed than the scooby but not many that are as quick over twisty, wet A and B roads.

I rarely drive on the motorway these days as the A and B roads are just so much more fun, even if you do have to hone your Gatso spotting skills.
Old 12 December 1999, 12:32 AM
Branners
Scooby Regular

A 1991 Supra would probably be a match once its rolling, and they have a top speed of somewhere near 145mph. From almost any gear they pickup well, but the faster it goes the more chance there is that it will beat you.

If he has any mods such as downpipes or bleeder valve then the power increase will be huge. It runs 6.8psi stock, and on a 3.0 engine thats nothing.
Old 13 December 1999, 08:38 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

My mate had a 1989 (I think) he had it superchipped, it was monstrously quick (apparently), for the 300 or so miles that it lasted. He rekoned it went of the clock!?

robski
Old 13 December 1999, 09:20 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Careful. They're bloody fast.
At least my mates one was.
And that was automatic!
Old 13 December 1999, 10:56 AM
NickM
Scooby Regular

Yeah but Bajie that was a MKIV!!

I know very little about the MKIII's so er, over to Branners...

Nick
Old 13 December 1999, 04:04 PM
Rapture@Work
Scooby Newbie

Ooooo...I've got an opinion there...
A friend had a '91 Turbo (with fake 70's **** movie blue velour interior) and my old clapped out Calibra Turbo blew it away (yes I did have one - sorry - it was good bhp/£ at the time)
neway...the old Supra Turbo...slow slow slow

after my friend upgraded his 91 Turbo to the 93 Import Supra Ti Aero thingy....he suddenly became fast fast fast (in very straight lines)

his impression of all the cars is the same I fink. My 276bhp (no mods) STi is quicker round the newsagent but he's gone when we get to the long straights of the supermarket. An anology from hell that one ,but i like it.

Apologies if this sounds 'boy racerish' with all the other stuff going around on this site. It is only childish banter.

btw the ceramic turbos in the Ti Supra turn into sand when they go
Old 13 December 1999, 04:08 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

I know a guy with a MKIV with some HKS bits (exhaust, boost controller, cone-filter...). It's fast in a straight line, but not on real roads with bends and stuff. I have a better power to weight ratio anyway!

Moray
Old 13 December 1999, 05:04 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

A little story...
A friend took out a "new shape" twin turbo Supra jobby the other day (he currently has a 97MY turbo.
Came to a wet roundabout, floored it & ended up in a hedge (written off)
Everone OK, but his words to me were...."I just drove it like I do in the Impreza..."

Ro
Old 13 December 1999, 05:34 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Pah!

Not sure about motorways, but the Scoob whoops the standard Supra at Santa Pod!
I reckon you'd win on all counts actually. If he has only got 240 bhp he won't hold a light to you in acceleration, but he has got a 3 litre turbo so may win top end.
Either way, be careful out there.

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 13-12-1999).]
Old 13 December 1999, 07:06 PM
Dino555
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Hi

Any of you chaps ever sprinted against a Nissan 200 SX (200 bhp)???

A guy I know has one, and he's been bragging to his friends that he's gonna "blow me away" one day. As we are not the best of friends, I want the be sure that, when he's standing beside me one day at the lights, I'm not going to be humiliated...

The mod's I have: SS Downpipe and backbox, ITG airfilter, Leda B (doesn't help much in a sprint race I guess !!!).

What are my changes, I HATE LOOSING !!!!

Dino from Belgium

[This message has been edited by Dino555 (edited 13-12-1999).]
Old 13 December 1999, 08:10 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

...."I just drove it like I do in the Impreza..." and how many Imprezas do we see in hedges and badly damaged at track days....

The conversation goes round and round about handling and performance. I have a lot of respect for Scoobs (if only they didnt all look the same) and I know it would be an even fight but Im sure you would be suprised at how quick they are. The cornering is close to a Scoob, and the straight line speed far exceeds most Imprezas so its really each to their own. I would drive an Impreza as a company car, but for a private car Im happy to spend more and get better looks.
Invite us along to a track day next year and see how quick we really are, and just because your midly tuned Scoob beat stock Supras doesnt mean they are slow. What is the 1/4 mile time for a totally stock Impreza?
Old 13 December 1999, 09:13 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Dino555 >>>

You have nothing at all to worry about with regard to the 200SX. I drove one before buying my 99MY turbo. It was noticeably slower. I also have a friend who has one, and when I took him out in my impreza, he said that the acceleration of the scoob was definitely quicker.
Old 13 December 1999, 09:58 PM
Dino555
Scooby Newbie

Cool

GCollier,

I'll take your word on it!!!

Let's kick some ***

Dino
The Nissan 200 SX Slayer

Old 13 December 1999, 10:45 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Branners.
I guess a completely stock Scoob would be a much closer match for a stock Supra, but I would still bet on the Scoob due to it's much, much better getaway.
Perhaps we can sort it at the pod next year?

Dino.
As has already been said, you've got absolutely nothing to worry about, certainly not off the line!

Stef.
Old 14 December 1999, 12:04 AM
NickM
Scooby Regular

Yaaaawn.

"I've got a scoobie, it's the best car in the world, Supra's are only good in straight lines, blah blah blah"

Same old crap and it bores me to death.

I wanted the best performance car within my budget. Rapid both in acceleration and top end, tunable, great handling, a pleasure to drive and great styling. Supra fitted the bill perfectly, and as for tunability the potential is infinite.

I suppose if I wanted a car that was great in the wet and on twisty bumpy B roads I'd have bought an Imprezza, EVO or Gti-R.

Blasting along empty A roads late at night is my thing, that's what I enjoy. Not hacking down mud and cow ****e covered country lanes dodging horses, tractors and various farm animals.

Two of my mates have Imprezza's, one a STUNNING Terzo and the other an absolute satanic WRX with more mods than, well a thing with a lot of mods. They're both great cars but not for me.

Each to their own, so please don't bore me with this "only good in a straight line" bollocks.

Oh, and as for the bloke that floored his Supra on a wet roundabout he deserves everything he got. 320BHP + RWD + wet + no respect = trouble.

Nick

[This message has been edited by NickM (edited 14-12-1999).]
Old 14 December 1999, 01:56 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

I've got a STi4 and my brother has a Supra MKIV, both have exhausts done.

On the highway theres virtually nothing in it, who ever floors it first usually holds the lead. The supra has a very nice progressive power curve and high revs feels much stronger than the scoob. It does feel sluggish in the mid range especially in the first/second turbo transistion.

I like driving both, but feel much safer in the scoob. I've witnessed the supra spin right behind me on a damp and miserable day, scary stuff!
Old 14 December 1999, 09:15 AM
Justin Foden
Scooby Regular

Scoob STI vs Mkiv Supra

In stock form, at speeds below 100'ish
on dry roads, I believe that theres nothing in it.

BUT with the mkiv supra and a few £000
you can get 500bhp+ very reliably, qtr miles in the 11's and top speed 190mph ish
what would win then eh?

on twisty wet roads the impreza wins,
no competition, but then it bl**dy well should.
Old 14 December 1999, 02:12 PM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

My opinion: Supra looks cool, but not as much fun to drive as a WRX.

Once going, very little in it between Supra and WRX STi. Top spead is higher if you remove the limiter, but who cares. Incidently, isn't 320bhp for the American version and 280 for Japanese? Not sure which one you get in the UK.

I'm not so keen on the twin turbo, can get very confused if you back off in the transitition point from first to second turbo. Also, the stock boost level is lower and you don't feel the acceleration as much as the WRX, subjectively.

Turbo lag seems worse in the Supra, dispite it's twin turbo. E.g. pull out to overtake somebody, if in the right rev range the Impreza just takes off instantly, but the supra appears to need time to build up boost. Although from slow speeds it feels like it has more torque.

Tuning potential of supra should be higher, but be very careful in the wet.

Oh, I should say my experience is with 97 SupraTT with Superdragger exhaust, and WRX STi4 with exhaust + downpipe. Downpipe to be fitted shortly on the supra, should be interesting...
Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Banks (edited 14-12-1999).]
Old 14 December 1999, 02:13 PM
Walt
Scooby Regular

I used to own a third generation ('89) Supra Turbo. It was not a very quick car. Magazine tests showed 0-60 in 6.5-7.0s and 1/4mi in 15.2-15.7s. I would say a UK Scooby would beat the 3rd gen Supra Turbo by at least a full second in the 1/4mi. Even with exhaust, downpipe and induction kit, the Supra was absolutely no match for an unmodified '93 RX-7 twin-turbo (8 car lengths behind at the 1/4mi).
Old 14 December 1999, 02:22 PM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

So how about new RX-7. Looks very impressive on some recent Best Motoring VCD's.

It would win in the looks dept for sure, and probably has the best track handling out of these three.

BTW, How much does a new Supra & RX-7 cost in the UK? Are they officially available?
Old 14 December 1999, 02:35 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Guys guys guys.
Horses for courses and all that but how many people do you know who buy Supras on the premise that its able to blat about around corners.
They are members of the BIG Horse Brigade and if thats what you want great.
We call ourselves petrolheads and then look for 'faults' in anything non-scooby.
Had I wanted this from a 'club' I would have bought a Beemer.
The gentleman making nice noises on this thread are the ones who DON'T drive Impreza's.
Let's show a bit of respect eh!
Roll on the abuse ...
Old 14 December 1999, 02:46 PM
Justin Foden
Scooby Regular

BTW, How much does a new Supra & RX-7 cost in the UK? Are they officially available?

you can still buy a new, imported Supra TT for just less than £30k, but only a few remain as they have just stopped production.

Sod the RX7 & Mits3000GT they are just too unreliable

>top spead is higher if you remove the >limiter, but who cares

I do!

As for bhp , uk & us supras 320-326 bhp
Jap supras, weve had a stock one at 316bhp
,they use smaller injectors, and turbos have ceramic impellers rather than steel.

BTW add an exhaust+downpipe+bleeder valve and youve got something approaching 400bhp

Old 14 December 1999, 02:55 PM
NickM
Scooby Regular

Andy,

For the MKIV Supra 320BHP is figure quoted for the UK vehicle and 280BHP is the offical figure for the jap imports. The Jap cars seem to vary in power though between 280BHP and 320BHP. The Jap motors also have ceramic turbos which spool quicker but do tend to fail if not looked after properly.

The stock boost is around 11psi which is nothing. The boost can be increased to around 17psi cheaply and reliably and makes a hell of a difference. After this things become more expensive but the potential is as big as your wallet.

Can't agree with you about the turbo lag. I've always found the sequential turbos to give nothing but instantanious power and loads of torque.

I havn't got the downpipe fitted but I know people who have. I'm told you'll notice a difference, quicker turbo spool and more power. If you remove the second cat though you may get boost creep and hit fuel cut...

Nick

Old 14 December 1999, 03:03 PM
NickM
Scooby Regular

Bajie,

Good point well put.

When I need a speed fix I'm in my Supra!!

When I want to be laughing insanely with my head squashed against the side window down a wet country lane I'm in an Imprezza!!

Nick
Old 14 December 1999, 04:02 PM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

I know that in Hongkong they cost around 600K (50K GBP) for a new one.

STi5 costs 300K (23K GBP).

Quite a difference...not sure how u can buy them for 30K brand new in the UK? From where?

Cost of Supra is almost in TVR price range, if you like big horsepower, RWD cars.... But then the Supra is probably less likely to go kepapkepkakclunk and let u down.

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Banks (edited 14-12-1999).]
Old 14 December 1999, 08:17 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

Stef - whats the best 1/4 mile that a stock Impreza has done? I wriggle out an almost dead 14 sec at 102mph and my car is totally stock in every way.

Perhaps we need to invite Mike into this conversation as Im sure he's said all this before, ie each car is designed for a different purpose.

If anybody finds a Supra 'laggy' then they probably need to check their turbos as the main reason for fitting sequential turbos is to avoid that annoying delay when you put your foot down. You might have to wait for the auto box to kick down, but in a manual you wont have any time to worry about delay.

Removing the cat on a Supra raises the boost from 11psi to 15psi without any other mods. Thats a 30-50bhp increase for £200, which is good value in my mind.
Old 14 December 1999, 09:34 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Branners.
Honestly don't know. I can manage 13.5 with only breathing mods, but it's not 'stock'.
As I've said, we'll have to get a pair of 'em together at the Pod.

NickM.
If we're 'boring' you with the straight line malarky don't read it! Supras are nice cars in a straight line and pants round bends, period!
It's not a case of slagging off anything that's not a Scoob, but this IS a Scooby site so what do you expect?
It is horses for courses, but the two cars are so different it's snowing!?
One's fast in a straight line in the dry, and the Scoobs fast everywhere, in all conditions.
Nuff said!

Stef.
PS Isn't a '91 Supra the old shape anyway?

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited 14-12-1999).]
Old 15 December 1999, 02:32 AM
Mark Pattison
Scooby Regular

The Scoob is so dam easy to drive fast, point and squirt and if your going too fast round a corner you generally come out the other side in one piece (all be it with some additional tire wear .

The supra requires a lot more skill, and I'm certainly not able to get the most out of it. Nor would I want to...thats what tracks are for.

Both great cars and are equally as fast, at least ours are at the moment.

Quick Reply: Afraid of Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo 91???