Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p1 and a nomal turbo in a race?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2002, 02:16 PM
Catalunya 051
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem I think with the modded Nova/COrsa/Saxo brigade (and I am generalising a bit here) is that they tend to do certain mods for fashion sake. For example, chopping suspension/changing shocks and sticking huge rims with rubber band tyres might make the car look good/aggressive but on the average UK road it probably just increases tramlining, bumpsteer and lack of traction on unevan surfaces. The practice of sticking a big 2ltr turbo lump into a Nova also creates handling problems due to weight distribution/balance. These are just two examples there are others where improvements do not make a fast road car. It is for this reason that I like my old MY97 because it is not too crashy and it appears to absorb anything my local roads can throw at it without it unsettling the car in any way (and I do push cornering grip pretty hard - I always end up with feathered outside edges to my tyres way before the rest of the tread gets near the tread wear indicators!) Maybe I should get the prodrive suspension setup!

[Edited by Catalunya 051 - 10/9/2002 2:21:47 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 12:06 PM
scoobyboy/p1
Scooby Regular

Angry

i have just got a p1 and was shocked when i raced a friends 100% standard turbo x reg 215bhp. this wasnt from a standin start but it was the same speed i cudnt pull away with mine havin 280bhp i was shocked 2say the least. any ideas y??? but i also raced a turbo wi both cats removed & i was loads faster. strange! im planin on taken the centre cat out asap. whats the best back box & centre decat exhaust around? not stupidly loud tho. all input welcum cheers.
Old 07 October 2002, 12:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Well, for starters a UK standard Turbo is acclaimed at having more than the stated 215BHP.

When on the road; it matters little about BHP when they are so close, other factors are much more important.

I have always considered those on here who throw £1000's at supposed performance packs to have more money than sense - its entirely up to them but when you are gaining a fraction of a second here and there its really all a waste of money isnt it?

A saxo gave me a good going over the other week he caught me with a topbox and trailer, but I doubt a P1 with 300BHP could have done any better!

Pete
Old 07 October 2002, 01:46 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Lol at PSLewis. You should have told the rolling road that my car should put out more than 215BHP in std form. It struggled to make 201bhp!!!!!!!!!! MY00. 100BHP ATW - I kid you not and there was nothing wrong either.

F
Old 07 October 2002, 01:55 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wink

Here we go again...

At just 210Bhp I can safely say that this 'UK Standard Turbo' would be no match for my two years olds tricycle. After adjusting the unsprung mass and adding a Garrett T48 with titanium bearings, wastegate and NOS, the unladen flight velocity of this 'Swallow Trike' or 'VMAX' is now equivalent to Concorde with the added benefir of acceleration better than Thrust I on a cool morning.

Who cares if you got blown away - you still love your car dont you? If not - sell it ... and get a Saxo or a Cossie - both are faster than a Scooby until they get to the twisties!

Mak.

Old 07 October 2002, 02:10 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Damn, where ca I get a "swallow tricycle" with those mods from?
Old 07 October 2002, 02:16 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

i also got a x plate turbo and raced my mates P1 the other week, there was nothing in through the gears. but at 140 on the motorway he came flying past me

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2002, 02:39 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Assume that to be a 140 MPH on a private motorway, or an Autobahn?!
Old 07 October 2002, 03:15 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

of course
Old 07 October 2002, 05:56 PM
scoobyboy/p1
Scooby Regular

yeah from a standin start my p1 is very fast. lots faster then a stardard turbo. also on top end iv had 170mph out of mine thats with a itg air filter. on a old air field OF COUSE. but on a rollin start i think all turbos r the same or very close. bhp dont same 2 matter that much. also sum turbos r just fast then others. sorry i cant c a saxo bin as fast as any scooby turbo, my m8s gota vts & mine p1 kicks it *** big time.
Old 07 October 2002, 06:07 PM
Catalunya 051
Scooby Regular

I would sum up by saying it is not necessarily figures on a RR that make a car quick. Its the way that it's driven, you may be keeping in gear too long and getting out of the power, poor gear changes etc etc. And on twisty roads, good brakes and technique are worth more than extra bhp IMHO.
Old 07 October 2002, 06:22 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Well said Cat. I hate to say this but Rich proved this to me last Sunday as he seems to know his car better than I know mine. The only thing that saved me from further being embarresed is the extra power in my lighter car. Now I've got to learn how to get into third gear properly.
Old 07 October 2002, 08:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Scooby boy P1 be careful mate, the supercharged VTS's can run upwards of 200bhp in a car with only 2wd losses and 935kg to lug around. I've arranged a crail run against one and expect to lose despite being P1 fast. If it was a motorway battle it'll probably hump you and me both.

As a rule of thumb never underestimate a nova/saxo/gti/etc as you never know whats been done to them. My standard VTS was very close to standard UK turbos at the end of the 1/4 mile...a lot closer than most UK driver would expect. That's why I've tuned my scooby to make sure the hatches aren't too much trouble
Old 07 October 2002, 09:50 PM
TUR80
Scooby Regular

There seems to be one after another of these type of debates on here nowadays.

It is simple, once you've got a certain amount of power and a half decent set up and driver, there is very little in it. Other factors become far more important like oncoming traffic and unforseen cow **** on the road.

My mates and I have run a lot of different 'performance' cars back-to-back but just take this scenario:-

My previous day to day car was an MY00 UK turbo (no mods to speak of). My mate bought an STi RA which, when you were in the driver's seat was blatantly quicker. Put them on a give and take road and there was nothing in it. I then bought a P1 which, believe me is well quicker than my MY00 and there is still nothing in it. To top it all off my brother runs a turbo Legacy with no outstanding mods and he is still well on the pace. Ergo they are all as quick as each other - of course not. (BTW, Swap the drivers and there is still nothing in it)

These cars are NOT the same but on a give and take piece of road there is very little between them. The whole P1 v STi v Turbo 2000 v WRX v Evo v whatever, really is pointless, we are talking degrees of greatness between these machines!! The road conditions and your own ability, even how 'on it' you are on the day will have a greater effect.

At the end of the day I agree with anyone who says just enjoy your car, surely you picked it because you like it and it suits your circumstances.

Memo to self: every time you post on here it becomes a rant, stop doing it, people will think you're strange. (Also stop writing memos to yourself - that really is strange!)
Old 07 October 2002, 09:51 PM
joop!
Scooby Regular

still rather have my scoob there's just something about them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gets me every time
Old 09 October 2002, 04:37 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Cat 051,

I've got the Powerstation setup and previously had my geom sorted and my tyres still do that Just means you corner even faster than OEM. You'll be amazed at what a good geom setup will do for you though, go get it done