Sponsored by:

Ban old bu66ers off the road

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2001, 12:16 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Unfortunatley NOT restricted to old duffas, but they are often causing chaos.
I am in favour of retests at certain ages and on a yearly basis when they hit 70+.
One example was driving up from Brighton to London on a dual carriageway - Metro parked up on hard shoulder, just before start of slip road to roundabout. We were approaching and the Metro, driven by Gramps, pulls a U turn and heads straight down the fast lane into oncoming traffic! How a death wa avoided I do not know!

Seriously needs looking at. The government should look at this issue instead of penalising good driving.

Speed does not kill, inappropriate speed kills as does bad driving!

Mossman
Old 30 August 2001, 11:04 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just picked up the Clio 172 from the garage (no fault found, lumpiness is a characteristic - funny that) and was bumbling down the a329m towards Bracknell at about 85.

All of a sudden, with no one in front of him, some silly old sod not doing more than about 55-60 pulls out right in front of me. Thank god the brakes in the 172 are so good.

Shook his head at me when i went past so when we stopped at lights to get off i wound window down and asked him which cereal packet he got his license from. He looked like he was going to cry !!!

I am all for retests for old gimmers. Have already been shunted into a wall at about 40 by an old dear who "wasnt really looking, i was concentrating on Radio 4".

Rant over.
Old 30 August 2001, 11:23 AM
RAver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Too true mate..
Just driven my RA back from having a fresh clutch fitted
Noticed that everyone else was driving around @ 40-50 mph cross country..
These were clear straight country roads mind, with very little traffic, it's not just old dodderers but mothers too..
I am beginning to feel the odd one out..
I think track days beckon??
Old 30 August 2001, 11:23 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately you dont have to be old to drive badly.

Some encountered yesterday on M4/M25... Middle age sales rep leaning against side window, middle age person shaving at 70, woman in range rover that 'wobbled' in to 3 lanes 'cos she was not paying attention and over corrected. Sales rep in renault 'bus' who thought it was a good idea to sit 2 feet from the back of our Porsche because it was not going as fast as he would like (even the Porsche cannot go over the top of traffic). All of the people who pull out without having any idea how fast they are going compared with the traffic they are pulling in to... to name but a few.

Ok rant over I feel much better now
Old 30 August 2001, 11:33 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yup - they're any age.

Trundling up the A34 this a.m., not in a hurry to get to work, inside lane, dense line of traffic in front of me, truck off my back bumper.

Just past 300 yard marker, woman in Megane comes up in outside lane, puts on indicator and tries to push through me!

Then looks at me like 'why aren't you getting out of my way?' Maybe it's coz I don't like the thought of a 38 ton enema! Stupid cow.

So, if you were held up by sudden panic braking in the outside lane of the A34 northbound near Abingdon, look out for a dark blue Megane 4 door. Think she got in behind the truck!
Old 30 August 2001, 02:09 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Not just old people mate. Last weekend I was leaving the M1 at J23a, travelling along the exit road towards the roundabout, when a REALLY DOSEY GIT took a left turn off the roundabout towards me!!!
I flashed my lights at him and pipped the horn, but he just gave me a blank stare and continued the wrong way down the slip road!!!
This bloke was only 40ish! The last time I looked in the mirror at him he was about 100 yards away from the main carriageway, with cars swerving to avoid him!
Old 30 August 2001, 02:15 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Yep, had a 40ish woman coming towards me round a roundabout the wrong way not so long ago....
Old 30 August 2001, 02:19 PM
dholmes
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Seems that several of us have had bad experiences with older drivers see:
Old 30 August 2001, 02:58 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Dave mate - you do get into some situations

This grandad wasn't driving a TT was he??
Old 30 August 2001, 03:01 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by druddle:
<B>i wound window down and asked him which cereal packet he got his license from[/quote]

ROTF