Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people keep putting P1's down?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 11:20 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenny, driven my P1 and then my mates sti5 type-r and i couldn't disagree with you more. Sure the sti feels quick, but its all over too soon (short ratio box) and the handlings crap in comparison, way too nervous for our b roads. My mate who owns the sti even agrees that the P1 is way nicer to drive.

PS, adj centre diff just seems to fvck up handling even more, its sounds good in the pub, but not really much use on the road (IMO).

[Edited by Steve Fort - 10/6/2002 11:23:29 PM]
Old 10 June 2002, 11:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

LOL

you miss the then

and seriously, the centre diff control is incredibly useful, you just have to learn how to exploit it, and by that i dont mean just learn how to drive with it, but learn what settings work best in what road conditions and speeds.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 10/6/2002 11:50:02 PM]
Old 10 July 2002, 01:43 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

No doubt everyone is referring to me
what i actually stated was that the P1 was over stated which is it. For what you got and for what it was meant to be it didnt meet the criteria
It is an excellent car, something that i did state, it is however not perfect by any means, something P1 owners seem to forget....
The Later STi's (ie the 7) is a better all round car, something that P1 owners dont seem to understand.
Basically John F has it spot on, if you know how to drive a Subaru you wouldnt buy a P1, you would buy something like John has (and is basically a better all round package in standard form to what Prodrive did to the Type R).
If i was destined to buy another classic shaped car (god forbid and i already own one ) then it would be what John owns, definately not a P1, but my sights are higher now so an STi7 would be in order (a nice type RA C type would be nice or an S202 ) but im just into something thats more reliable than old tech
P1 owners will probably sit there and slate UK300 owners saying that what they actually got was a WRX with a body kit, so what actually is a P1?
I'll let you think about it

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 10/7/2002 1:44:52 AM]
Old 10 July 2002, 09:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Simon,
STi5 type R, 280ps
P1, 280ps
The only real enhancements that the P1 got was an ECU that was mapped to run 97RON fuel, a longer 5th gear and a suspension upgrade (available from your local dealer )
Mind you, the interior is nice except that they removed the climate control and shoved a rather naff aircon system in (ie the same one that you can get as an optional extra on a UK turbo ) which lets it down, so really for a small ammout of cash the STi5 type R would be up there for less overall money with just a suspension upgrade (and if you wanted some 17 inch alloys you could have those as well )

Tony

Edited due to cr@p typing

[Edited by TonyBurns - 10/7/2002 10:27:20 AM]
Old 10 July 2002, 08:19 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I had a 98 UK Turbo and went to look at a P1, very nice car but ended up spending the cost a new MY00 UK turbo on a brand new MY00 RA import. Yep I had no SUK/IM warranty but saved 9K and its a blast to drive and good spec. It doesnt make the P1 a bad car just a more expensive one. As someone said P1 are now about 20K thats 11.5K loss, I have been offered a lot more than 11K for my RA of the same age . I didnt do it for the depreciation though and I could have had a P1 but I brought the RA because it was a limited edition and was something different and it scares EVOs .

[Edited by chrisp - 10/7/2002 8:22:42 PM]
Old 06 October 2002, 08:40 PM
marty
Scooby Regular

I would just like to know why when people say should i buy a P1 somebody comes up and says,My uk turbo is as fast as one of them because it has got a de-cat not worth buying one.I have a P1 with a prodrive back box and scorpion de-cat centre.I have 2 friends one has a my00 model car and the other a 98 prodrive.I have raced them both on a dual carriage way once i get into third and fourth gear i fly past them.Any ideas?
marty
Old 06 October 2002, 08:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Could be any one of a few reasons:-

1. They are jealous

2. They are jealous

3. They are jealous OR

4. They realise that spending close on £30,000 for a 2 door coupe without a Radio is NOT a wise way to spend that kind of money!! And I must say - I happen to agree with them!

Pete

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2002, 08:53 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Its Jealousy! Ignore them.
Having previously owned a modified MY00, and now being the proud owner of a P1, i can tell you that MY00 turbos are good....but not that good!
Old 06 October 2002, 09:15 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Smile

dont even mention radios(see recent ice moan) p1s are great and that is that
martin
Old 06 October 2002, 09:32 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

p1 mmmmmmmmmmmm very nice!
Old 06 October 2002, 09:33 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Either lack of knowledge or pure jealousy I would guess. I wanted one (no **** everyone says looking at my nick) but could not justify the extra money to buy and insure one and couldnt wait any longer to get a scooby so settled for an MY00 Turbo as I dont like the bugeyes unless seriously modded cosmetically.

For me the P1 is the best impreza. Ive heard talk about the RB5 being better over the last few days - how I dont know. They and the 22B may be more rare but the P1 just looks, sounds and drives like the dogs bollocks IMHO. Luckily I know P1 Enthusiast on here and have been out with him a few times - best was at a Cambs Evo Mag meet where we toasted every car in site.

Simon.
Old 06 October 2002, 09:44 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

seems p1 is a target for people to knock.it is over the top price wise but then so is sti7.they are superb for perf/handling etc but dont forget its only a car there are loads better and loads worse..u pays your money and make ur choice
Old 06 October 2002, 09:46 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

P1's are a lot better buy now. For gods sake someone is selling a 5k minted for £19k on here. Wish Id bloody waited
Old 06 October 2002, 09:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

My car is almost certainly P1 fast now but there is no way I'd turn down a P1 if I could have one. They totally rock
Old 06 October 2002, 09:55 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Why do people think that P1's are overpriced?!!
Show me another car that offers that performance for 20 grand (and is still within its warranty), and i'll eat my legs!!!!!
(except evo6's maybe )
Old 06 October 2002, 09:57 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Haven't a clue. There are several morons who just seem obsessed by putting them down. One of them has already posted on this thread.

On the recent RB5 / P1 thread these people emerged to slag off the P1, together with those with a blind loyalty to the model. Personally, I even suggested the guy might want to wait until the '03 arrived, yet he...................bought a P1.

The thing I find interesting is that I have only once seen someone try to offer a considered arguement against the P1, as opposed to usual, highly considered, comments such as 'they're crap/a waste of money'.

Others have suggested, not unreasonably, that people might want to look at imported STi 5s & 6s, but there are a great many people out there who feel happier having a decent warranty.

I don't moan about the people who modify their cars to extremes, neither do I criticise who drive their unmodified cars like a grannie, so why can't these people mind their own business. These are probably the same ones who appear on the 'For Sale' forum with helpful comments like 'you'll be lucky' etc.

Josh
Old 06 October 2002, 10:01 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

P1 knocking probably started because it was -

1 dearer than suggested
2 late compared to quoted delivery date
3 essentially an STI 4 door in the 2 door body with a body kit
4 over-supplied - originally 500 but they sold quickly so 1000 were built.
5 discounted hugely to shift late models knocking the residual values significantly

Probably loads more reasons, did look at one prior to going skyline, but would have an STI6 in preference to the P1 - can't beat discount.
Old 06 October 2002, 10:41 PM
Spudgun VI
Scooby Regular

Wink

because they drove an evo and realised the P1 IS ****

only kiddin'
Old 06 October 2002, 10:54 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

They just don't understand
Old 06 October 2002, 11:03 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

Cool

3 words....

STI type R

Cheaper, quicker, no ABS, adj. centre diff.

Old 06 October 2002, 11:27 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

oy, dont forget the TypeRA version, thats even quicker than the typeR.

P1's are great cars, to me though, IM took the **** on the pricing and extra 500 build. I wont go into the techy side of the car, to me it's not as good as it could easily have been.

P1's are superb, just way too pricey for what you get and outside my budget. I can understand why people buy them though.

It's also a shame that it is banded about as the best Impreza built to date, because that plainly isnt the case. That probably doesnt help it's cause either.

all IMHO.
Old 06 October 2002, 11:33 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

you and your mate need to learn to drive the car properly if you think the centre diff control isnt useful and ***** it up on the road.

Maybe thats the problem, people need cars that drive themselves these days rather than gaining knowledge of how to get the best out of a package that is ultimately superior.

The P1 is probably the ultimate for mr average, but dull for mr i would like to learn to drive properly.
Old 06 October 2002, 11:39 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Sorry, i forgot that this board was only for superhero racing drivers like yourself .
Us average drivers will just have to sit down and shut up !
Old 07 October 2002, 01:46 AM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Why do people keep putting P1's down?

Nice to have variety of opinion isn't it.

There are lots of people who are pro P1, so I hope no one feels like things are unfair
Old 07 October 2002, 02:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'll just say, supply and demand
444 RB5's (sold out )
No need to mention anything else me thinks

Tony
Old 07 October 2002, 08:47 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

TB

In answer to your question to your misguided "statement" , a UK300 is a standard UK WRX with different headlights, wheels and spoiler with no perfomance upgrades.
A P1 is an STi 5 Type R without the centre diff but with ABS. If one wanted to knock the UK300 (I couldn't give a toss either way) you could say that it was quite a premium to pay for a few parts from the spares bin....
Yes the P1 was overpriced new which is why I didn't buy one new.

I drive my P1 everyday on my commute to work. It beats the pants off my my decatted MY00 PPP in every category. I didn't buy an STi because I don't need and wouldn't use adjustable centre diffs and prefer the ride and gearbox of the P1. Simple as that. Test drove an STi7 and didn't like it (don't want to hear about how much better it is blah blah - I drove and didn't like it, simple as that). Test drove an Evo6 and whilst it blew away pretty much every thing on the road I decided it would get on my **** a bit driving it every day to work.

Why do people knock P1s? No idea. Don't care really - I've got one and love it.
Old 07 October 2002, 08:53 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Right where do you want me to start
I think if you pick one up second hand it is a pefrormance bargain BUT If you were unfortunate enough to but one from new like I did
Old 07 October 2002, 10:06 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

The P1 for me is everything that my MY99 RB5 wasn't. Quicker, smoother, Stiffer and generally a better ride. The gearbox in the RB5 used to annoy me. Although it had the Quick shift aspect it wasn't an STI box so was still not as smooth as the P1 box. That is something i have noticed lots since saturday. Perhaps my RB5 gearbox was just no good to start with but i'll tell you something it needs a new one now. Fourth is just obismal...crunch grind...etc.

Also The 4 door aspect of the RB5 didnt't really bother me too much. In a way it was nicer because the people could just get in and out freely without me jumping out first although the two door looks a little nicer.

The ONLY reason that i changed the car for a P1 was because i realised that with the compensation money i have from an accident last year if i did spend it on the RB5 yes it would be quick and yes it would still be very nice cosmetically, but it wasn't going to give me more money when i come to get change it. So i spend say £2500 on the engine and then in a few years loose not only the £2500 i spent but loose money on depreciation as well.

As for the people on here who put P1's down, let them do it dont bother wasting your effort and time replying to silly threads and posts. It only makes things worse and at the end of the day we are ALL entitled to our own opinions. Thats what makes us human!

p.s P1 haters look out....lol
Old 07 October 2002, 10:15 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tony lol

208ps???? Check your figures big boy.

"P1 280ps, max speed 155, 0-60 4.66" that's what the brochure says and the seat of my pants suggests it's not far off!!

I think everything has become clear...
Old 07 October 2002, 10:21 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Tony, whilst I assume you were taking the p155 with the 208ps bit I still think you're missing the point somewhat.

Why buy a car then have to mod it to get exactly what you want when there's a product on the shelf that does what you want anyway? I bought an MY00 turbo and found myself endlessly adding bits to it to try and make it into the car I'd wanted. P1 prices are now such that I could get rid of the turbo and get myself a P1. Job done.

I do like the jap cars and always fancied an STi6 but in the end I prefer the look, feel and performance of the P1. I also like being able to take it to my local dealers and saying "this is broken, please fix it" without any faff.

Quick Reply: Why do people keep putting P1's down?