Sponsored by:

Webby, any chance of a new forum?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2001, 03:51 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Do you think there is a need/would be a good idea, to have a forum for group buys? Also where people could mention special offers they have found on various websites that may be of interest?

I know it sort of crosses over into other forums, i.e. Non-Scooby, Private, Wanted, etc. but it would keep these things visible and may be of use to people who haven't got time to trawl the net looking for the cheapest offer?

Would probably be more like a commercial private section (if you get what I mean?)

Thoughts?
Old 29 August 2001, 04:00 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

This has been suggested before. Scoobynet get's the money to run from day to day from banner sponsors. If a group buy forum was set up then it could undermine the purpose of the banner adds. I.e companies would get free advertising by using the group buy forum, thus undermining those companies who pay for ads.

It's a very good idea. But If I remember rightly nobody could think of a good way of implementing it without potentially miffing off the people who pay for the running of scoobynet.

I suspect Simon DB will clear things up that i've managed to muddy

Old 29 August 2001, 04:04 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Neil, perhaps the companies that already sponser the bbs could do these offers. Maybe one a year from each.

Dan
Old 29 August 2001, 04:14 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

Good point Neil, hadn't really thought if it that way.

Only mentioned it as I am organising (well trying to) a group buy and didn't know where to put it.

Ended up in General but due to the flood of posts in there, visibility could be lost very quickly.

Don't want to undermine the sponsors of the BBS so I'll live with things as they are
Old 29 August 2001, 04:51 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

The SIDC could possibly help out with this if required. At the end of the day it falls well within one of our goals "improve buying power for members".
Old 29 August 2001, 06:15 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lee, would that be on the SIDC BBS? Have no problem with that, just don't want to put anybody out or annoy the good suppliers that allow us to give them all our money

I'm OK with things as they are on here at the mo, but if anything could be done then I would back it, provided suppliers didn't get pee'd off and users treated it with respect and not bid suppliers off against each other for fun
Old 29 August 2001, 08:00 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I'm getting together with a number of people over the next couple of weeks to try to once and for all sort out a way of organising / moderating this so it is still a benefit to everyone, but doesn't devalue the advertising on scoobynet / devalue the products our advertisers are selling us.

This is a very important and delicate issue, which is the reason no decision has been made as yet, and will not be made until I've spoken to as many people about the subject as possible.

I *hope* to be at least half way towards a decision after tomorrow.

All the best

Simon

All the best

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 29 August 2001, 08:27 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dont forget Simon, I'm your state of the art entrepeneur !