Sponsored by:

P Zero inside wall splitting

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2001, 08:44 PM
Badger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I've just changed the front pads on my P1 so i decided to give the wheels a good clean while they were off the car, while doing this i have spotted a split in the tyre just below where the tread pattern ends & the side wall begins the split is in a wavey type pattern and goes virtually all the way round the tyre. the other front tyre is the same but not as bad, is this normal for tyres that have only done 7K & no track days.

Badger
Old 26 June 2001, 10:14 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I would say take them to the place where you got them and let them have a look. Sounds like it could be a manufacturing problem.

Maybe Tyres Northampton could help.
Old 26 June 2001, 10:56 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its the way you drive m8, hehe

SCOOP
Old 27 June 2001, 07:46 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

P.S.

If you want to have a word with Pirelli their phone No. is 01283 525355 ask for the technical dept.
Good bloke works there but can`t remember his name,

Cheers

SCOOP
Old 08 August 2001, 03:06 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I am in exactly the same situation.

On Saturday, I got a puncture on the M40. Fortunately, I was 100m from a
slip road and, lucky again, there was a petrol station 100m from the top of
the slip road.

I tried to put air in the front left, hoping it was a slow puncture. The
air came out as fast as it went in.

On removing the wheel, the inner side wall had split around the entire
circumference of the wheel and had broken through for about 50mm. We then
took of the rear, so as to have good matched tyres on the front (brakes,
steering etc). This tyre was also extensively cracked.

Upon returning to Basildon, we removed all wheels. All tyres had the same
cracking.

I have spoken to Pirelli customer services, who did not show any surprise at
this and asked for the tyres to be returned. My local tyre fitting centre
said they knew of a few other owners that had experienced exactly the same.

John Thorne on IWOC has the same problem.

If you are using 17" or 18" Pzero tyres, I would get your inner sidewalls checked ASAP.
Old 08 August 2001, 03:55 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well th same sort of thing happened to one of my Pzeros, thought the rest of them are ok (all now replaced though) though I will look for cracks when I get home. It would be good if Pirelli can give me some new tyres though!!!

The details of what happened to me are here -
Old 08 August 2001, 05:45 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I was chatting to my local (independant) tyre fitter last time I was in and he reckoned that Pirelli's were the most badly manufactured tyres he had ever seen! He said that the big remould companies wouldn't take worn out Pirelli's to put new tread on as they were so badly made.
I can't say whether it's true or not but he had no reason to make it up !
Old 08 August 2001, 09:00 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Josh has had the same problem I think.

Tyres Nton sorted it out & I think that he got pirelli to pay some of the replacement cost. Brought toyos

he is at Bedford on Friday so you could get more info from him then

simon
Old 08 August 2001, 10:52 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

We've had several cases of Pirelli P-Zero OE P1 tyres splitting reported to us (tyre wholesaler)by IM dealerships.

Pirelli have said that the tyres should be replaced by Rossos & as far as I'm aware the tyres should be replaced by the dealerships concerned with Pirelli footing the bill.

One slight problem though....the Rossos don't come in the standard P1 fitment at the moment. D'oh!!

Would suggest that ALL P1 owners get their tyres properly checked. A split at high speed may not be welcome!

PeteT - your local independent is talking boll**ks re the quality of Pirelli manufacture. These instances not withstanding, the quality is very good, nay excellent. The level of complaints that we receive about Pirelli tyres is minimal.

Not connected to Pirelli....!!

Hugh
Old 09 August 2001, 08:48 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I should add that the loss of pressure I suffered was entirely due to the failed sidewall and the tyre had no entry marks on the tread or sidewall.

Despite severe vibration through the steering, the car remained completely stable when pressure was lost. I was doing approx 80mph at the time.

Don't delay in getting yours checked.
Old 09 August 2001, 01:55 PM
Badger
Scooby Regular

All my tyres were replaced at NO cost by the dealership (Listers), but i am still paranoid that the new set will go the same way...
Paul
Old 09 August 2001, 05:35 PM
WiseGuy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Pirelli tyres don't seem to have changed much then
My last car was a Cavalier Turbo which had P zero's all round (205x50x16)one of those experienced a sidewall defect where by the inner sidewall had bubbled as it was on the inside I knew I could'nt have kerbed it, so I had it returned to Pirelli.
Pirelli did not except that there tyre could be defective and would not pay for a replacement
I now would'nt use Pirelli's if they were giving them away
Old 09 August 2001, 05:55 PM
old but gold
Scooby Regular

On a standard P1 with original wheels / tyres what other options are open to me?

Old 09 August 2001, 07:05 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

Are PZERO ROSSO's effected too???
Old 10 August 2001, 07:53 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Alex
No.

And only SOME P zero's. I suspect they probably originate from one tyre plant only.
Old 10 August 2001, 05:32 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Checked the tyres on the P1 this morning (18 inch upgrade) and found all four tyres with cracks appearing virtually all around the diameter of the tyre where the tread pattern meets the side wall,I have contacted the dealer concerned and awaiting a response...will keep posted
Old 10 August 2001, 07:55 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Prodrive are aware of a problem with 18" PZero's and are awaiting a response from Pirelli

Mog
Old 10 August 2001, 11:17 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have the same problems ,...but I think in the earliest stage !

All 4 tires on the innersidewall allround,...just a dark thin line is coming up,NO splitting yet,...but i changed wheels,...and they are going back to the tyresshop ! !

I run 225/35/18 Pzero Asym.

Old 11 August 2001, 12:49 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have any other makes of car fitted with P Zeros had this problem?

I don't know if it's true with Subaru but certainly with Porsche, the tyre has an N rating that is different to that of the tyre you would purchase off the shelf, the OE tyres have been developed specifically for the car (article in August's PCGB mag). Might be worth checking if it's a specific version.

Steve.
Old 23 August 2001, 02:34 PM
Dave Mackey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had the 18inch upgrade tyres on my P1 checked the other day to find all 4 had these cracks. Contacted my local dealer who was not aware of any problems. Whilst I was there he spoke with either Prodrive or IM (not sure which) who informed him it was a known problem. Dealer was shocked that the issue has not resulted in a recall on safety grounds. I am now waiting for a new set of tyres to be fitted free of charge.

Once again if in doubt get them checked out and insist they are replaced. My set had done less than 2000 miles with no track days.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Mackey (edited 23 August 2001).]
Old 23 August 2001, 02:53 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

I too have this problem.

However, my dealer (Walldonway - Maidstone)was very understanding and replaced the 3 affected tyres on the warranty.

I now have the same problem with the two front tyres another (although only 2mm left :-). I have therefore decided to switch manufacturers, (wouldn't want a blow out at any speed). The two fronts are split and going in the bin, I will take offers on the two rears - just under half worn with no splits (according to my dealer). They will be available @ Trax (TN will be fitting my new ones). Those of U that know TN I am happy for you to get their views on the state of the rears at the time if U want to make me an offer...

..R

Old 23 August 2001, 05:38 PM
old but gold
Scooby Regular

So what else could I put on a P1?

Old 23 August 2001, 08:42 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

My Pzero's are being replaced under garantee,....They have never seen this before overhere in Holland,...but how much do they sell from the 225/35 tires,...just a few I think ! (the 225/35 isn't that common)

but I get new one's,..if they are available,...and they are not and they can't say when so I want the Rosso's but this one isn't available in the 35 range so I get my money back !

Then I wanted the S03's ,...but not to find in 225/35 at this moment,...so I choose the S02's ...Perfect tyre (have it before) but gone in a few mile of hard driving

....and more expensive than a P zero (£170 each )

But No Pirelli's anymore for me,...Italian disaster

[This message has been edited by Theo (edited 23 August 2001).]
Old 23 August 2001, 10:52 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Cool

Going to try Toyos

...r
Old 24 August 2001, 03:42 PM
old but gold
Scooby Regular

Took the P1 to my local Subaru dealer this morning. They had had no problems with PZeros. They rang IM who denied any knowledge of any issues at all. Got my tires checked - no problem but apparently on standard 17 inch can only use the PZero or Michelin - can anyone pls confirm this is the case?

Old 24 August 2001, 07:29 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

According to prodrive the 18" P1 wheel can only take a PZero due to the way the tread rolls over on the edge rather than being square cut and this avoids rubbing problems.someone will shoot me down but there you go

Mog
Old 24 August 2001, 10:11 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yeah, I had the same problem.

A while ago when I got new wheels under warranty, my dealer changed the tyres over. Upon doing so, they spotted the splitting of the sidewalls. I figured it would take a lifetime to sort it out so I just bought some new ones.

At the moment, I've been waiting 6 weeks for the two new 18" P-Zero's I have on order. My tyre people can't get any from Pirelli. Maybe the production delays are attributed to trying to sort this splitting problem out.

Ta
Kurt
Old 24 August 2001, 10:13 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

What do prodrive suggest if you get a blow out at 170 mph (in Germany of Course ).

If the the Toyos rub I shall (although I suspect this is an issue with SO2s due to the extra rim width) change them. Hopefully I will not have cracking inside walls.

There have been many things that are wrong with the way the P1 was delivered, but even with all that I still love the car. This tyre problem is the only thing that has really got under my scin - because it affects mine (and others) safety. Totally un-acceptable, this time the cracks appeared with 2 mm left, last time it was 4 (half worn). If I hadn't changed wheels for track I would have never noticed.

So really don't care what Prodrives views are on this I will never fit pZeros (225/35s) again. And any future cars with the italian rubber will get a regular check, and then changed.
Old 24 August 2001, 11:23 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Prodrive aka Mike Woods suggests raising the tyre pressure slightly to stop side wall flexing in the short term. I dont think this very responsible considering the tyre is the only point of contact the car has with the road and thus has to be 100%.Also the short term is in effect when the manufacturer decides what they will do about the problem.

Mog
Old 24 August 2001, 11:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

Sounds to me that Pirelli have failed to issue a warning about this tyre. if they know ,why the hell have they not stopped selling this Tyre.
If this is true I would never buy a tyre from them again.

I hate it when these companies think that a problem will go away

Are Pirelli and IM connected....( In the way that they deal with their customers)

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 25 August 2001).]

Quick Reply: P Zero inside wall splitting