Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods to new WRX

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 12:37 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it will be interesting to hear mike wood/pete c comments on this as i belive they said the new wrx wont benifit from lowering like the old car did???

tiggs
Old 18 July 2001, 10:20 AM
Brian Thornton
Scooby Newbie

For those of you interested, I have had my
new shape WRX fitted with an Eibach spring kit that lowers the car 25mm.While this was being fitted, I had the front camber adjusted by .75 of a degree.What a difference!
Also had the Morrette lamp conversion,WR complete exhaust system,Quickshift,white indicator set etc..
I ahve some pictures of the car( blue black mettallic) for anyone who wants to see them.
I think all would agree that the difference is quite dramatic!
Old 18 July 2001, 10:32 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I would, post the pics on this thread.

cheers

Jer
Old 18 July 2001, 10:38 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

Brian - quick question, the spring kit, is this a subaru thing or 3rd party??

My WR Blue MY'01 currently has: morettes, front/side/rear subaru body kit, clear side repeaters/reflectors, OZ 18" Super Ts (silver), ScoobySport mid/rear, Defi gauge pod (carbon interior due in a week or so) and some new audio + new security stuff!

Cheers, Alex
Old 18 July 2001, 11:51 AM
Brian Thornton
Scooby Newbie

the spring kit is from Eibach.
Available from the guys at Demon tweaks
for 124.00 + VAT.the springs are progressive
rate and apparently very good quality!
How do you put up photos does anyone know?
Old 18 July 2001, 02:54 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

mmmm, Intersting. I'd heard that Eibach's didn't work properly on the WRX and that new dampers were required too. Can't remember why, but I think Prodrive were looking for a solution. Perhaps Mike W can advise?

Old 18 July 2001, 03:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tiggs:
<B>it will be interesting to hear mike wood/pete c comments on this as i belive they said the new wrx wont benifit from lowering like the old car did???

tiggs[/quote]

Errr - speaking as owner of 45mm lowered Leda WRX (same as Pete's) - what Mike and Pete said is the car was awful with lowering springs only - it was on the bump stops. 10-15mm drop would probably be ok, but no more. Without lowered spring platforms you are just using up bump travel without even moving a wheel.

Old 18 July 2001, 05:59 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Dave,

thats pretty much as i recalled their comments- hence its interesting that brian finds it a big improvement.

tiggs
Old 19 July 2001, 12:35 AM
Brian Thornton
Scooby Newbie

As I said before,I have covered over 8ksince having the kit fitted by someone in the know.
This guy works on some of the WRC cars that the irish boys use over here and bearin mind that there are more of them in the republic than anywhere else in the world apparently!
Anyway, I digress, I have yet to experience any difficulties so far either on the road or indeed on track.The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and any one who wants a look is more than welcome!
Old 19 July 2001, 12:51 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

So its taken you nearly 2 years to post 7 threads. Guess your a true Hardcore Scoobynet fan then?
Old 19 July 2001, 08:16 AM
Brian Thornton
Scooby Newbie

Take it from me, the improvement is quite
significant.The guy who set the car up after the spring kit was fitted is an ex rally driver who knows his stuff!I covered 60K in my previous 98 turbo in 2 years, and have done 11k now in 4 months in the new car.This
has covered driving in Europe,UK and Ireland and also a track day at Castle Coombe.The kit
I bought from Eibach fitted perfectly and I
have had no problems so far.the roads re in far worse condition over here than in the UK and believe me, if there was a problem with hitting the bump stops etc. I would know about it!
On another small point, I have discovered in the recent weeks, that it is better not to believe everything you are told from the so called tuning experts in the UK.I recently purchased for example, a complete exhaust system for the new car from one of THE leading Subaru after market tuners who shall remain nameless unless you ask in private!
Not only did this system not fit, the quality of engineering,apperance and sound was of the same ilk as that when I fitted a 1275GT rear box up the centre of my mark 1 fiesta 15 years ago!
It was appaling.
It has now been replaced with a proper system which suits the car perfectly.
Dont get me wrong,their not all bad, just obviously make your own decisions.
Quick one:
Wouldnt you expect to be told that a £124.00 lowering kit,from one of the best spring manufacturers,-25mm only remember, wouldnt be as good as a 1,000.00 shock and spring kit?
Your comments please.....
Old 19 July 2001, 10:16 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Brian,

I appreciate the jist of what your saying, but both Pete Croney and Mike Wood say that the handling is adversly affected by lowering the car - its a different set-up to the ~MY00 cars.

I dont believe either of these guys would put your safety second to their own ££££'s

The car hits the "bump stops" regularly as you've lowered it (my non-technical explanation - anyone who "knows" please correct me), under load, and the dampers etc aren't suited to lowered springs.

Please search in the suspension section - Mike Wood had tested lowering springs and commented that they didnt work well.

I would be concerned that that could be dangerous when your on the limit - you may not notice it when driving under "normal" conditions.

Are you sure its not going to bite you one day when your going for it?

Jza
Old 19 July 2001, 10:39 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

That's exactly why you should opt for new struts altogether.

I think Mr and Mrs Muppet are on Ledas on their fugly spec Scoobs. I think asking them what they think would be a good idea.

/J
Old 19 July 2001, 03:55 PM
Kev S
Scooby Regular

Question

Brian,

I'm certainly interested. I was speaking to TSL in Nottingham recently and they were planning to start fitting the Eibachs to the MY01 as soons as they were available. I didn't realise they were available now. They said August when I last spoke to them about a month ago.

What's the part number? I would also love to see a picture. If you can't post them on the BBS, then maybe you could e-mail them to me.

I'm prepared to try them, especially at that kind of cost - £150 v £1500.

Kev S
Old 19 July 2001, 04:06 PM
SilverScooby
Scooby Newbie

Hi Folks

Brian requested that I post these for him....

Cheers

Simon

[This message has been edited by SilverScooby (edited 19 July 2001).]
Old 19 July 2001, 04:14 PM
Brian Thornton
Scooby Newbie

Steve,

Speak to Steve King at Demon tweeks in the fitting department.He supplied them to me and I had them fitted by my own mechanic again with a slight adjustment to the front camber.
What do you think of the pics?
Old 19 July 2001, 04:39 PM
Kev S
Scooby Regular

Question

Brian,

Looks excellent and IMHO just the right ride height. Was it Demon Tweeks in the UK?

Also, what's involved making the camber adjustment and what effect has it made? Excuse my ignorance.

Kev S
Old 19 July 2001, 04:57 PM
Grant Swan
Scooby Regular

We at A W D Motorsport can supply and fit these spring to the new wrx and can tell you that it does help with the bodyrole on the car and gives the car a much better ride.
Old 19 July 2001, 05:07 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Grant Swan:
<B>We at A W D Motorsport .....can tell you that it does help with the bodyrole on the car and gives the car a much better ride.[/quote]

Well you would say that wouldn't you. Think I'll wait abit and see what the consensus is. Not attracted by the cost of the Leda's, I know that much.

Old 19 July 2001, 05:42 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

well this is starting to look interesting...
i had gone off the idea of just changing springs after the negative comments a couple of months back but this might be the way to go after all?

i cant justify £1000+ on suspension- its not that bad to start with, but £150 is a bit different.

tiggs
Old 20 July 2001, 12:11 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

A quote from Mike Wood on
Old 20 July 2001, 12:22 AM
Kev S
Scooby Regular

Talking

From Brian's report, it doesn't sound as if his car is running on the bumpstops. Maybe the Eibachs springs are a more progressive spring which stops this.

It would be interesting to hear Mike Woods response though.

Kev S
Old 20 July 2001, 12:34 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

mike

any comment?

tiggs
Old 20 July 2001, 11:03 AM
SUPAGLU2U2
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>So its taken you nearly 2 years to post 7 threads. Guess your a true Hardcore Scoobynet fan then<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> by Jza.

So what, maybe the guy was out driving his car while you were staring at a screen. Maybe he knows more about his car from driving it than you do from <B>reading</B> about them!

I must say I think this is a bit rough, and I didn't realise that people on this forum had aquota of threads to start within a certain period of time........it didn't mention it at "Sign Up" !

Anyways, I reckon that the cost of the Eibach springs is low enough to justfy buying, fitting and trying out for oneself !

If you are not happy, spend a few grand !

Better than doing it the other way round innit !! JMHO
Old 20 July 2001, 01:22 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

LOL @ SUPAGLU2U2

Damn,

Your first thread and its a bitch at me!!!! LOL

I was joking you muppet - thats why i put a at the end - to indicate a joke

Get used to the way of the Net young jedi

Jza

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited 20 July 2001).]
Old 20 July 2001, 02:59 PM
SUPAGLU2U2
Scooby Newbie

Sorry Jza, I missed that, I didn't wait long enough for the smiley to load ! :O

Anyway I've heard that the Morette lamp conversion is being offered free of charge on all WRX's...........nice one !

From my experience in various cars, lowering one by 25-30mm should be just fine with standard shocks, and as Brian has said he's driven on many surfaces without any problems and also the car has performedvery well on track.

Well I know which I'm going to buy !!

Old 20 July 2001, 03:07 PM
Kev S
Scooby Regular

I'm with you SUPA, with only £150 to loose plus fitting, it's got to be the way to go. Plus I can't get use to the high ride height, 25mm is all it needs.

Kev S
Old 20 July 2001, 03:18 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SUPAGLU2U2:
<B>
Anyway I've heard that the Morette lamp conversion is being offered free of charge on all WRX's...........nice one !

[/quote]

Sorry - where did you hear that??? Dealers are going to fit them????? TELL ME NOW!!!!
I really hope so!!

Jza
Old 20 July 2001, 04:35 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kev S:
<B>Brian,

I'm certainly interested. I was speaking to TSL in Nottingham recently and they were planning to start fitting the Eibachs to the MY01 as soons as they were available. I didn't realise they were available now.
Kev S[/quote]

It seems that for a uk spec wrx MY01 the old eibachs (97+) are fine, only jap spec cars need the new spring which is on its way.

this means demon tweeks,tsl,etc are now able to fit the eibachs they've allways had.

speaking to eibach they say they've sold lots (whatever that means) for MY01's and have had no problems as yet.

sounds good

tiggs
Old 20 July 2001, 07:01 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

I stand to be corrected on this by Mike or someone else in the know.

The P1 couldnt be fitted with 18" alloys as you couldnt fit snow chains, and there wasnt type approval.

If the UK300 has 18" as std, and then was lowered would it allow the fittment of snow chains, and have type approval ?

Also. The cost of fitting a different spring to a car like the UK300 might of had people balking at the cost.

The other thing Mike didnt state was how much lower the springs were that they tested. I would imagine with 25m lower springs the car is still going to look high. To get the lowered stance right 45mm would be needed. Then the car might not work ?

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Mods to new WRX