Sponsored by:

Annoyed by model Updates??

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2002, 12:06 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Why do Subaru feel the need to update the Impreza all the time? Have to say If I was the owner of a bug eye I wouldn't be too happy at the moment.

Look at other cars such as the Audi TT and Porsche Boxster, neither of these manufacturers feel the need to radically change the look of their cars every few years. Porsche for example have tweaked the Boxster recently but left the body shape untouched.

I purchased a MY00 and was incredibly happy with it until the new age Impreza was announced. Then I was annoyed that I was about to own an out of date car that had just cost me £21K. New age Impreza comes out and two years later a major facelift is announced.

I personally never want to buy a brand new car only for it to be out of date within a year. Don't forget everytime a new model comes out it is costing you several thousand pounds come trade in time.

Look at the history of the Impreza over the last 3 years :

1)MY00
2)P1
3)New Age Impreza
4)UK300 at £24,995 + £1600 for PPP (Yes it was really that expensive!)
5)STi7 comes out at £25995 and the UK300 suddenly looks very silly
6)New Age Impreza restyled

Old 26 September 2002, 12:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

IMHO

The classic shape was around for 8 years or so with minor cosmetic tweaks

The Bug eye style is not to a lot of peoples tastes and Subaru have come in for a lot of critisism over it.

Looks like they have taken this on board and revised the shape to appeal to a wider(maybe) audience.

The Justy(Swift) and Legacy and Forester have not been changed much over the last 6 years years, manly cosmetics so it is not like Subaru are doing this all the time.

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 9/26/2002 12:20:54 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 12:24 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

Yep this wasn't a planned change but rather a forced one. Subaru had to do something after the bugeyes got a pasting by press and public for their looks so Subaru had to do some quick plastic surgery.
Old 26 September 2002, 12:25 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I find the bug eyes to be rather appealing now.
Old 26 September 2002, 12:38 PM
steve77
Scooby Regular

Angry

I am the owner of a UK300 and I agree with the first message that when it comes to trade in it will probably cost me a lot of money as it did when I traded my RB5. Since trade in the RB5 has actually appreciated in value due to people preffering the classic style. I got no more for my RB5 than when I traded my original standard scooby and yet in each case the RB5 & UK300 cost considerably more. Dealers always tell you that the trade in value of a limited edition will always enhance your trade in value . I don't think so !
Old 26 September 2002, 12:39 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Just sitting here with a smug grin and 220+bhp/ton

[Edited by chrisp - 9/26/2002 12:39:50 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 12:39 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that Subaru's direction these days hasn't really been thought about. I've come round on the new shape and to change it so drastically, so soon doesn't give you me much confidence. Still I think Subaru should go back to the fantastic customer care that they used to be so well known for before they spend money on re-styling IMHO.

[Edited by HELLOM8 - 9/26/2002 12:40:38 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 12:53 PM
NickB2
Scooby Regular

The reason the TT and Boxster haven't changed much is the designs were spot-on from the outset. (911 must srely be the ultimate example of this?).

Subaru got it wrong with the bug eyes to the majority of the population (at least in looks, the car is still a great scooby). So D'ohhh to Subaru design, but as had been said earlier at least they had the ***** to admit it and change it.

The point about model changes is OK it may affect residuals but at least they are improving an already great car.

Its just like PCs - don't by a Pentium because the PII, PIII, PIV will be out next year. So what - you've made a great choice, enjoy it for what it is.
Old 26 September 2002, 01:14 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

IMHO I feel the Joey's original post was a little unfair.

As Paul pointed out, the original was around for 8 years or, and the bugeye wasn't dur to be replaced until around 2005 or so (I think). Frankly that's not too bad.

The other cars you mention are special/limited editions, and do cost more. Yet, in my experience, they do seem to retain a bit more. In fact the reason I went for a P1 was because I didn't fancy the bugeye, and wasn't prepared to pay the ludicrously high prices being asked for an RB5.

Looking again at your post, it looks more like you have been a victim of bad timing.

Josh
Old 26 September 2002, 01:43 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I disagree.
The original was around since 1994, but it went through some quite major changes.
The complete interior, brakes,spoiler,front & rear bumpers,bonnet,vents, grill, scoop, wheels & internal mechanicals all went through change in those 8 years.
I remember buying a 95MY in 96 then feeling pissed off as soon after I bought it Subaru announced major changes to interior styling & mechanics....then not that long after that they changed the front bumper, rear spoiler & brakes.
The look of the car IMHO changed quite a bit & to drive it was a different car after the turbo was made smaller - quicker & smoother.
I gave up & went out & got an import with all the bits on as standard !!

Ro.

[Edited by RoShamBo - 9/26/2002 1:44:14 PM]
Old 26 September 2002, 01:47 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

i would be gutted if i bought a new car and it changes but that's life, everything changes all the time mate. But i think the bug eye had to be changed as it was ugly though modifications have been v.nice.
Old 26 September 2002, 02:25 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Japanese manufacturers change the designs of their cars every 2-3 years. British manufacturers do not (think Mini, Range Rover). It's just the way they do things. Although there weren't any major changes to the classic shape, there were numerous detail changes, almost every year (seats, dashboard, bumper grille, wing mirrors).

Also, remember that most people do not buy the same car twice, so Subaru are far more interested in enticing non-Scooby owners.
Old 26 September 2002, 03:21 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Back in the 80's & early 90's, the Japanese economic boom meant ppl changing cars regularly, so the local manufacturers usually have a model life-cycle of around 4-5 years (facelifts are done usually around mid-cycle time). In this case, Subaru's product life-cycle is longer than say Toyota or Nissan.
It is only recently that Japanese manufacturers stretch the life-cycle to around 5-6 years in order to save costs, but this also meant 2 facelifts within 1 model cycle. So its not surprising that a facelift on the New Age is imminent, as the car is already on the market for over 2 years.
It is interesting to note that German manufacturers shorten their model cycles from 10 years to 6-8 years. For example, the W126 S-class was made between 1980-1991, but the W140 was only made between 1992-1998. The same applies to BMW.
Old 26 September 2002, 04:24 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Smile

I must admit to being rather pleased I bought a MY01

The MY03 looks like a vauxhall omega

Phil
Old 26 September 2002, 04:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Face it, all Imprezas are ugly!

I knew that when I had my 98, my girlfriend - at the time - thought I drove a Hyundai Accent FFS. I knew it when I bought my 01, well I did once I'd read this board for long enough.

My car might look like a startled deer, but she sure can dance.

Old 26 September 2002, 04:57 PM
Little Miss WRX

The original was around in Japan in 1992, the UK first officially received the original classic shape in 1994.
Old 26 September 2002, 05:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

When did those "cough" 1.8GL's appear? "cough"

Tony
Old 26 September 2002, 06:14 PM
IFG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

How can you possibly complain that a manufacturer is constantly investing in improving their product ? Would you really like to still only have the option of buying a 209bhp early shape classic with crap interior ?

If Subaru sat back and rested on their laurels they'd soon loose all their new car sales to mitsubishi, audi, ford ....... skoda.

Be thankful that in 2 years time you can buy another Impreza that will be beter than the one you have now.

If you don't want improvement then don't sell what you've already got.

Cheers, Ian.
Old 26 September 2002, 06:38 PM
Des
Scooby Regular

Hi

Clarence, out of interest the previous S-class was changed faster due to the fact that people saw it as ostentatious. It was viewed in much the same light as the bug-eye scooby was. Of course this doesnt mean that they wont make change over a more regular thing in the future though.

For those scooby owners who feel they are being done, I can assure you 'facelifts' are a reality on any model car. For example the BMW M3 is (supposedly) about to get the same front light layout as the ordinary 3-series. This despite the fact that the car was only released in 2001. No doubt to the dismay of some M3 owners.

If you want to avoid major changes you can usually check the motoring press to see when new release dates are due. At least you will then be able to make an informed decision.

Cheers
Old 27 September 2002, 02:30 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Yes, but manufacturers usually have a set timetable for model developments, so MB did not really rushed the development of the current S to replace the W140. The largest market region for the S is Asia Pacific, and the W140 wasn't regarded as 'too big' over there.
The W210 E-class was made from 1995-2002 (7 yrs), & the previous W124 was in production for nearly 10 years. The trend is for Jap cars to lengthen model cycles & Europeans to shorten them. I won't talk abt American cars here, cos they tend to keep on restyling the cars using the same mechanicals. The Firebird/Camaro still uses a 70's floorplan.
Old 27 September 2002, 02:49 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

"The classic shape was around for 8 years or so with minor cosmetic tweaks"

I can think of 3 completely different front end treatments of the original Impreza.