ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

For the record

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2002, 09:21 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think the new MY03 looks fantastic, especially in non prodrive style Sti form.

I also think it will look significantly better again in the flesh, from a standing up beside the car perspective.

For the first time the low level rear spoiler looks coherent with the rest of the design. Overall, a more solid, quality look IMHO.

Personally, if I had just bought an MY02 bugeye or ordered one I'd be either kicking myself or cancelling that order

This is the car the bugeye should have been all along

D
Old 26 September 2002, 09:31 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
100% agree.

LOL at all those bug-eye owners now saying how beautiful their cars are. Such short memories.

And full marks to Subaru for admitting they got the bug-eye wrong with such a major face-lift after just two years.

Richard.
Old 26 September 2002, 09:42 AM
Scalidge
Scooby Regular

Guys

The only thing wrong with the bugeye was the bugeyes. Stick morrette lamp converstions on and the thing looks awesome.

Don't rubbish any scoob, the're ALL nice cars. I personally bought a MY02 coz i loved it (only with morrettes on though). Don't see why you should try and gauge "new age" drivers. You aren't one and i can tell you from 1st hand experience that i am in no way kicking myself. I've had mine for one month and seen the pictures of the new one (already called the blobeye) when i was debating to wait or buy. I thought the cars looked very similar but opted for the bugeye with morrettes. So what!

Don't try and be some sort of experts on other drivers, i could rant on about how i hate the Classic but why should i, its a scoob, it was bought for a purpose by you and you like it. Great anyone who buys any scoob has got great sense. Don't go and lose all that sense on calling other scoob drivers. You sound like Pr1cks, which i know you arn't coz you wouldn't have bought a scoob in the first place.

Respect guys thats all you need

Pete
Old 26 September 2002, 09:57 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The only thing wrong with the bugeye was the bugeyes.
I disagree - IMHO they still look a bit naff even with Morettes. It was the bonnet and swage lines leading to/from the bugeyes which also made it look ugly.

I also think the rear door areas still need some work. The way the back pillar joins the body line is too angular IMO
Old 26 September 2002, 09:58 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Scalidge Chill man!

They only said that they do not like the looks, no slagging or nastiness.
Old 26 September 2002, 10:02 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep it looks a lot better than the bugeye. Only bugeye that looks half decent is the STi7 Prodrive version or one thats been heavily modded cosmetically (Phil Stephens WRC springs to mind). I for one couldnt be arsed with that so bought an MY00 Classic which IMHO looks good out of the box.

Dunno if I will get an MY03 when Ive paid for the MY00. Might have to move to an Audi S3

Simon.
Old 26 September 2002, 10:07 AM
ROLIWRX
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a bugeye and yes I'm getting morettes. I'm not kicking myself though it's a great car. It's the first brand new car I've ever had and I had to wait six moinths for this one!
If you don't like bugeyes don't drive one,at the end of the day people are entitled to their opinion.
Old 26 September 2002, 10:12 AM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Gotta say the only two bugeyes I like are the Prodrive STi and the UK300, because they got rid of both my pet hates a. the lights b. the ironing board for a spoiler on the boot
Old 26 September 2002, 10:23 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

well they are all opionions nothing more, I remember when the new age pics were shown in True Grip about 3 years ago and I thought to myself what a piece of $hit, I didn't think they could have done a worse job but here we are in 2002 and Ive got one and damn pleased I am with it too!

It gets sooooo tiring everyone saying they look crap, its like ok *you think* it looks crap doesnt mean that the car *is* crap.

I think they've f*cked the bonnet scoop on the MY03 but hey thats just MY opinion!!!!

Gary

[Edited by GaryK - 9/26/2002 10:23:25 AM]
Old 26 September 2002, 10:47 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hey, chill a bit, Pete

No way am I dissing the bug-eye. I really don't care much about what my car looks like, so long as it goes like the clappers (which is why I'm sticking with my modded and much lighter and faster UK00).

In fact my first thought on seeing the 03 pics was that I might be able to pick up a cheap STi bug-eye in the new year. A bit cruel and selfish, I admit, but from a purely financial point of view I think bug-eye owners will not be happy at trade-in time.

Just a comment. I could easily be wrong. Nothing personal

Best regards,

Richard.
Old 26 September 2002, 10:51 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

IMHO, they are lacking the bonnet vents!!!! Someone really needs to get some developed to see if they work

I do and don't like the new MY01/02, still undecided and probably will be in the near future

Have to admit, the MY03 looks like it is going to be a tempting eastie
Old 26 September 2002, 11:18 AM
uxg
Scooby Regular

I think that the bugeye can be made to look nice if you chuck some moeny at it and the MY03 doesn't look too bad but as other people mentioned I think the main point is being missed here.

I have been in a couple of STI VII's and let's just say that I was a bit underwhelmed by the performance. The cars were obviously slower and heavier than my Type R. Like I said the looks you can do something about and the performance can be improved similarly but the fact that you need to spend money to make the car look nice and then some more money to bring the performance up to a par with the older models is sort of defeating the purpose for me.

Mitsubishi have made the same mistake with the Evo 7. Why make a newer model which is slower, has less power and is heavier than it's predecessor? Evolution? Next Generation?....well not really IMO
Old 26 September 2002, 11:55 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I gotta admit.... I reckon all scoobs look pretty grim (obvious exceptions being the STis and P1s which do have a pretty agressive look). The standard imprezas (old or new) have never been nice looking cars.

I don't think there ane many folk on here who bought the car for looks. The reason we bought them is thier abilities. Old or new, the impreza is a very fast car with great handling.

Would anyone here be saying the same thing about imprezas if they didn't have the same ability?... If the fastest impreza out there was 2 litre non-turbo, front wheel drive, with the performance and reputation of a mondeo would you still be saying they look good?

I doubt it.

I bought a classic shape myself and i think it looks pretty bad. Improved by bigger wheels but still ugly.

Marty .

<reaching for the fire extinguisher>
Old 26 September 2002, 01:05 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

uxg

I have had similar thoughts to you re the newer generations of cars. They get heavier and slower but more comfy. Is that good?

Just look at the Golf GTi and how that got fatter over the years. Performance per BHP has gone backwards too, probably due to weight, just look at the Ibiza Cupra R - 180bhp in a supermini. That should be a rocket ship but only manages 60 in 7.2???? My old Astra 16v only had 156bhp and was bigger yet managed the same in 6.9.

When the Ford Focus Cossy comes out, if it can't beat 5.0 and 150mph for less than £22k then why bother? - Classic scoob could.

JMHO.
F
PS where's the latest official pictures then?
Old 26 September 2002, 01:15 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are the pictures out ?
Old 26 September 2002, 11:32 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
They are now....

And they've improved the power on the std WRX - hoorah! They must have heard me.

F
Old 27 September 2002, 01:15 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

well, i disagree with some of this. I love the shape of the classic scoob. Especially from the front. I think it looks aggressive, yet also kind of cute. My wife loves the look of it too (we have a MY00).

As for the bug eye WRX i dont like em at all, but i think the STI7 Prodrive is a good looking car, the differences in the styling definately help to make it a more attractive proposal.

Now the MY03: i think that the WRX is a vast improvement (hate bug-eye WRX), and i think the rally car looks AWESOME! It's only a shame that the STI doesnt look like the rally car and that it has such a freakish scoop! I hope subaru have done this for technical reasons not because they think it looks good!

In short if i didnt have my MY00 i would consider any of the cars except MR bug WRX

It is also a shame they have'nt upped the torque and power, as most new top of the range cars now seem to be promising around 400Nm of torque, it would be nice if the STI was still a street or two ahead of things like volvos and fords!

but i really want that MY03 rally car! Lets hope they bring out a special edition a la 22B!
Old 27 September 2002, 02:07 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Cool

I love the classic shape...

The MY01 / MY02 has grown on me a lot, but I still don't think I could love it...

I reckon the new MY03 looks the business... and would definately want one

But these are just my humble opinions - and who really cares about them except me...
Old 27 September 2002, 10:09 AM
yoza
BANNED

Wink

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..........

If this new blobeye is the be all and end all,god help all the styling and accessory outlets coz nobody will want to change it

PS does anyone know if the scoop will fit on my morrette eye
Old 27 September 2002, 10:18 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Diablo - well rest assured neither the pre '01, '01 & '02 or '03 is as ugly as you!

Each model scoob has its own merits, I've had pre'01 scoobs and '01, '02 - lived with all as a day to day car. At the end of the day, they are ALL ugly compared to other makes car (bar proton and Kia! ).

IMHO
Old 27 September 2002, 12:32 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Talking

Now everyone's had a chance to look at the MY03, do you really like the front lights?

It looks like a cross eyed-Jap !

Give me my MY02 with Morrettes anyday...
Old 27 September 2002, 12:38 PM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

Talking

We all have our own opinions, if not there would be a shortage of some models