ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

LOL - MY01 All over again

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2002, 08:28 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Anyone remember when the MY01 was launched. It split people into 2 camps. Those that liked it and those that thought the Mk1 was the best thing since the wheel.

Now its happening again. But this time with 3 camps.
1. Those that like the new car
2. Those that like the MY01 but not the new one
3. Those that like the MK1 shape and think its the best thing since the wheel.

It seems as though anytime there is a new version, the traditionalists state things were much better in the old car and the 'newists' who insist the old car was tin box that rattled its rapid way up the road.

Now we have the blobeye 'matchbox racing scooped' MY03 and the ye olde MK1 fans are going 'we like our tin box that rattles up the road', MY01-02 fans are going 'Phew glad I bought the old model' and the newists are going 'Thank god for that, I even like the matchbox racer scoop'

Has a marque of car ever polarised opinion like the Impreza. Long may it continue, it makes me smile anyway.

And if you must know I sit in a 4th camp. Enjoy the car no matter what colour eyes it has.

Old 26 September 2002, 08:38 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

All they have gone and done now on the 03 is messed Morette around as they now have to do a whole new design to improve the 03 look. I wonder if Morette have any vacancies, seems like the place to be....

I'm a MY01 owner waiting for the new shape. Instead of trading in and paying 7000 pounds for a new shape, I think I'll just spend the 1000 on the Morettes...
Old 26 September 2002, 09:12 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Clearly there was something wrong with the MY01/02 style in Subaru's eyes, or they wouldn't have redesigned it so soon. And it appears to be a fairly major restyle.

There isn't this sort of polarized opinion about the MY97 'old shape' restyle, which was a bit more of a 'nip and tuck' job.
Old 26 September 2002, 09:15 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Its not just the looks that are the problem. Its the whole package that needs looking at.

Build quality?
Refinement?
Clutch?
Lumpy Engine?

Looks probably come bottom of my list. The fact that the car has iffy build quality and makes a horrible din when driving up and down the motorway need sorting first. I shouldn't have to turn the radio upto 23 Volume in order to listen to it at motorway speeds.

I shouldn't have to pull out my road in a morning, and have the car judder like ****, because a long standing clutch problem exisits on the car.

I shouldn't have to put up with the itermintant lumpy engine.

I shouldn't have plastics inside the car that scratch so easliy. (small niggle)

Somebody will turn around and tell me that its not a car for going up and down the motorways, which is fine. However if thats the case, then it instead needs a mssive increase in bhp out the box in order for it to keep up with the competition. It seems like a new 200+bhp car hits the showrooms every month now, and ye'old scooby is being left well behind.

So unless Subaru plan to do more than a small face lift, I beleive the days are numbered for the scoob.

Old 26 September 2002, 09:21 AM
Scalidge
Scooby Regular

Neil

Agree with your point 4. The scoob is a Scoob you must move on. The classics are now getting older and becoming more and more affordable to the boy racers, when this happens they diminish suddenly (accidents, lack of maintenance etc). Classic drivers if true scoob fanatics will be moving on to buy Bugs with converstions or Blobeyes (MY03's).

Respect to all scoob drivers. I love all the Impreza models and dont think my MY02 with morrettes is any better or worse than any other scoob on the road. Like i said a scoob is a scoob. we all chose our scoobs for the same reason

Pete

[Edited by Scalidge - 9/26/2002 9:23:55 AM]
Old 26 September 2002, 09:24 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

Instead of all this remodelling cr@p, I'd rather they sold me
a 300 bhp GT and 350 bhp STi (old old shape 99/2000) for the same price....
Old 26 September 2002, 09:27 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

So as a true fanatic I will upgrade when quicker model comes out . A bit stuffed at the moment then
Old 26 September 2002, 09:33 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Neil,

I would have thought I'd fall into the third category, but I'm not so sure as I think the wheel is fundamentally flawed.

Josh

PS The '03 isn't too bad. Having said that, I change my mind every time I look at it.
Old 26 September 2002, 09:38 AM
Jen.
Scooby Regular

The new and classic shapes are so difference anyway it's hard to compare...I like the new Blob eyes, however I love the Classic and think it will always be a mad car that will hold my affections forever After all, it wouldn't be the same without the road noise and pannels that bend if you look at them

So I'll be one of each - they all have they're own characters, I'd have one of each if I could
Old 26 September 2002, 09:40 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

qwerty - sounds like you are not enjoying the "Subaru experience"! The trouble is, the car cant be good at everything. It is good at making fast and safe progress over twisty/bumpy A and B roads. It is good in the wet. It is passable on long motorway journeys. I dont have any build quality problems, because I have come to accept the annoying rattles. It is not designed to be a refined, quiet, comfortable cruiser, and isnt marketed as such. If any manufacturer could bring out a 300bhp 4wd B-road burner, complete with all creature comforts, leather,etc and sell it for £20k everyone would buy it.

Getting back to the original topic - the "classic" is my personal favourite, but Subaru moved on, making the newer cars more appealing to more people. I chose to replace my MY99 with a lower mileage RB5 as I didnt like the bugeye, but as a marketing move Subaru have done the right thing - they sell more cars. I am sure the same will happen with the latest version. Oh and before people call me an out of touch traditionalist, I rather like the bugeyes now!

Steve
Old 26 September 2002, 09:42 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Marray, if you want a 350bhp Scoob, you could get a very clean MY00 car, spend a bit on brakes and suspension, then spend a lot on the engine. You should get plenty of change from £25k and utterly stunning performance.

That's where I'm heading

Richard.
Old 26 September 2002, 09:50 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

Hoppy, I am currently on a 280bhp PPP WRX Bugeye (16 PSI VF23, full decat)... Just wish they could add more zing to the new models - they have been putting out basically the same power since 96 !
Old 26 September 2002, 10:18 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I will be changing my MY01 in two years time, which is when another facelift should be expected, wonder what that will be like
Old 26 September 2002, 10:27 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Murray, same power but more weight

I don't know what sort of tuning facilities you have in SA but over here you'd have no trouble getting 350-400bhp in a nice driveable package. Cost a few grand, mind, but what a motor you'd have then

Best regards,

Richard.
Old 26 September 2002, 10:34 AM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

Yep - should have gone for a GT, but too late for that now. Although I have sorted my suspension on my WRX 01 and its sublime and outworks most GTs. Our problem here is cr@p fuel. We have 93 RON at 6000ft altitude (97 at the coast). So, I add NF to our 93 to give 96 or so and live with that. Thats why 16 PSI is where I have drawn the line. I need a set of exhaust headers and then, as they say in the movies, my work here is done. I think I'll stock up on Morettes and bite the bullet till 2005/6. Also, if the motor retires on me, I'll put it together with a 2.2 kit.