Sponsored by:

Make your car feel faster for free!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 04:48 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Leading on from the 'where's my g-force thread' I decided to do a bit of experimentation today and have made the followind discovery:

I noticed that as I've become used to my car it has began to feel less and less fast and only really feels quick when I'm tired or if it catches me off gaurd. This however, doesn't equate with my passengers experiences who'll vouch its got some reasonable pinnage (g's).

To begin with I gave it some big licks in 2nd, 3rd and 4th in a straight line and tried to pay attention to what I was doing. Before long I realised that I was subconciously preparing for the acceleration. I was actually curving my shoulders forward, gritting my teeth (seriously!!) and dipping my head forward - a bit like leaning into the wind. I figured this readied stance may be the problem so.....

I adjusted my seat into a slightly more upright positon and settled into such that my back moulded to the seat (let's face it, it ain't going to be the other way around) I then got into a position where my shoulders were always resting against the seat and my head on the backrest (rare for me). This is a far more comfortable and relaxed position but not so good for looking around and checking out blind spots, etc.

I then tried the same acceleration and it felt big time different. Previously I'd been using muscles in my upper back, shoulders and neck to absorb (hide) the acceleration, now all the force of the seat (i.e. car) was being transfered directly to my back and head via relaxed muscles and the car feels a lot quicker You can also feel the blood drain from your face a little

Give it a go, you've nothing to loose The only think I would say though is the position I got myself into was very much a relaxed cruising position and I don't think it would be appropriate or as safe for fast twisties action so best to try on motorway slip roads, etc rather than your favourite b-road

<flame and anti-muppet suit on> (cause I know what you lot are like)
Old 24 September 2002, 04:52 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

It's not free, but having a smart really helps me appreciate the Lotus and the Scoob....

Mark
Old 24 September 2002, 04:54 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, that works too, sometime I drive my mum's 1.0 Polo (0-60mph in 18secs) just so I appreciate the scooby the next day
Old 24 September 2002, 04:55 PM
uxg
Scooby Regular

LOL Saxo boy

I know exactly what you mean. When I want to take part in some spirited drivng I have noticed I tend to sit up and lean slightly more forward and my body tenses to take up the strain (almost in the rude boy back to front baseball cap position that you see some Nova's being driven in but not quite )

Anyway I too have noticed that if I sit back in my relaxed cruise positon the car does feel faster but if I am making quick progress I can't sit like this forever as I soon tend to get a bit nervous as I can't see the front of the car or around corners so well in this postion.
Old 24 September 2002, 05:05 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

seat right back on the stops, back of seat bolt upright sort of 90 degree's - this i find grips the shoulders nicely whilst arms are outstretched and relaxed along with legs.

hate the "arm chair" approach!
Old 24 September 2002, 05:48 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

First time I drove Sipies car was strange! That lad must have one gay back cause he was sitting up at exactly 90 degrees.....I could lick the steering wheel
Old 24 September 2002, 05:55 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

I lean too and apparently "bounce"when I change gear.I must be compensating for the lurch of a fast gearchange.Or maybe I'm just a flid.
Old 24 September 2002, 05:59 PM
madras
Scooby Regular

I had a similar experience, I was just about to pull away from a set of lights but the car was in neutral, I found myself almost headbutting the steering wheel when there was no accelleration to hold me back in the seat, very embarrassing, I didn’t realise I was bracing myself so much. I must have look like a nutter!

Pete
Old 24 September 2002, 05:59 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

I find that my experience is similar to SB in that all you need to do is take your Scoob into the dealer for a service, and then spend the rest of the day driving around in the brand new Subaru ... Justy they give you as a courtesy car.

B' 'eck they certainly tuned up the ole Turbo when I get 'er back that evening. Scares the life outa me!

Canuck

[Edited by Canuck - 9/24/2002 6:00:01 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 06:35 PM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL Saxo - aven't laughed so much in ages. In my experience though having a 1 litre micra as a second car makes no difference. You still prepare for the turbo boost.

Keep em coming

Gamm.
Old 24 September 2002, 06:47 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

Wink

oi saxo boy!

my back is not gay!

just totally knackered from my over exhubarant youth. how many concrete blocks can you get in one wheel barrow was an expensive game to play. fifteen, then the barrow gave way causing me to lean forward whilst spreading the load accross my now fragile vertebrae!

do not play this game! i could have sued my employer, but not only does this not help any ones insurance premiums, my father who employed me, would probably have taken exception!

peace, off to pub
Old 24 September 2002, 06:50 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ah, medical exception
Old 24 September 2002, 08:41 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Wink

1. get a friend (a trusted good driver BTW) to drive your car with you sat in the passenger seat.

2. Get him/her to boot it down a country lane......

......scares the **** out of me every time

god knows how my wife must feel whenever i boot it with her in the car!

chris
Old 24 September 2002, 09:36 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Remove the windscreen and boot it in the rain. Feels damn fast

<i feel this could be going to muppet land>
Old 24 September 2002, 10:34 PM
C-WRX
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Saxoboy,

Know what u mean,had my scooby for about 2 months now and i feel used 2 it already and i'm unconciously preparing myself for the accelaration of my baby (new extension of my body) in the ways u described earlier!
Old 24 September 2002, 10:36 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I've got a 1.0 Fiesta and 1.1 Punto. I know the difference as when I get in the Subaru I'm turning in to early (I've got quickrack), accelerate to quickly to the car in front (accelerator is always floored in Fester and Punto), and I lean when going round corners which the Subaru just doesnt do, so I look peculiar. Then off course I put my window wipers on to indicate.
Old 24 September 2002, 10:43 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Saxo,

Apologies mate but I just can't resist this:

- Take car to top of ski slope (I mean the Alpine ones that Eddy The Eagle used to jump from after he'd taken the tablets).

- Fit wooden ski's to car (borrowed off a mate).

- Let handbrake off (warning; bog roll required for brown trouser moment).

Guaranteed to give you that go faster feel, and all for the cost of a pint for the crane driver to get yer car to the top of the slop in the first place!

Its late, long day, too many glasses of wine, time to get the fleece on and go home..... :P

LOL

PS How's the John Banks reprogramming mod going then?
Old 24 September 2002, 10:58 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

BACK ON TOPIC

Saxo Boy (shouldn't you change your username now ) Thanks - sounds like a good idea - I'll give it a go

- I've been lusting after Legacy B4 RSKs and Mitso Galant VR4s and the like so you may be saving me a 'Pile of Dosh'

Cheers

Mick
Old 24 September 2002, 10:59 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Talking

Saxoboy,
This is actually a very good and interesting thread.I always sit upright in the car and the one thing I didn't like about my scoob (my96wrx)was that even adjusted vertically as far as it would go,I was still leaning forward.Thing is I now have an Evo5(yawn,yawn-not starting anything here)but the seat adjusts up much more vertically and gives a great full on driving position.So perhaps when the next thread comes up comparing scoobs and Evo's(probably tomorrow) this is something else to be taken into consideration!!!.
BTW,Congratulations on coming up with a car related thread that to the best of my knowledge has not been brought up before..that takes some doing!!!
SD.
Old 24 September 2002, 11:17 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Saxoboy,
luv your posts !!
going to try your 'relaxed position' tomorrow

alan
Old 25 September 2002, 09:50 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Nah, the name stays for now, it's how people know me Can be a little strange at meetings introducing myself as 'saxo boy' though

Car felt slow as **** this moring. Might have had something to do with the fact I was in the back of a pug 206 1.4

You see, all my extensive experimentation yesterday blew my weekly fuel budget right out the water so I'm grabbing lifts to work for 2 days to even it out. The lengths I go for you guys........

My car is running nicely with the TEK2 but decating the centre section made a big difference as it allowed it to breath better - felt strangled before. Got high hopes for extra improvement when the downpipe goes on.

Since we're sort of on the topic: how comfy do you guys find the seats in the scooby? Sometimes when my back is in the mood for it, they are the most comfy seats in the world and othertimes I just feel like I'm being moulded into some wierd and wonderful shape!?! It's a bit hit and miss.
Old 25 September 2002, 10:25 AM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats why I make regular drives in the misses Renault Megane 1.6, so I can be amaized next time I drive the STI
Old 25 September 2002, 12:14 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey Saxo Boy..

'Gay Back'...... you cheeky little ****'

The difference is Kenny, that I can afford to sit nearer the windscreen as I do not share your fear of the windscreen falling in on my face at moderate speeds....... whey hey..!!!

Cheers m8
Old 25 September 2002, 12:29 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

It’s not free when you're spending £27 twice a week at the chiropractors. The being hit in the small of the back with a cricket bat type acceleration can cause you real pain.
Old 25 September 2002, 12:39 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

when doing trackdays, I put the seat one notch forward and more upright. You can get so much extra control...

anyone else do this?

certainly, I had a passanger clinging on for dear life and whoopie-woo'ing at hullavington airfield last week as the wrx barrelled down the straigh at 110mph+ - it didn't feel that fast to me.

when I got into his TVR cerb 5.0 as a passenger, even though we were going at about the same speed, it felt like a bloody rocket. Maybe the torque curve difference? but it was only 5mph faster...

rd
Old 25 September 2002, 01:08 PM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

Watch the position of some of the top rally drivers.

Can't remember exactly which one, but I do recall them recommending a more forward and upright position.

One of the touring car drivers also sits very close to the wheel.(poss. Rydell)
Old 25 September 2002, 01:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dang, I walked into that one didn't I sipie!?!

I'll have you know that the tape is holding my windscreen in place just fine for now
Old 25 September 2002, 01:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure how literally to take these posts, but when sitting closer to the wheel, remember you're also closer to the airbag.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Saxo...

Promise I'll leave the windscreen jokes for now, even I'm beginning to get tired of them!

Remember I'm a short **** so that might explain why you found the driving pos. of my car a bit odd. I have a long back in relation to my stumpy arms and legs so it's more upright to enable my stumpy arms to be at full reach to top of steering wheel and very slight bend at a quarter to three.

If I move the seat away from more or less upright then it's a bit of a stretch for the 'stumpy' arms to change into first gear comfortably! The distance to pedals is spot on, no backache on long journeys etc. and it roughly mirrors Richard Burns driving position which to me appears to be the balance between relaxed and focused style.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

How have we got on to 'granny position' driving?? My seat position modifcations involved a very slight angle adjustment but more so an extra effort to seat myself correctly within the seat. Due to my long legs I'm still miles from the airbag which, I really don't want going off anyway

Quick Reply: Make your car feel faster for free!!