Stone Chips

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2001, 10:17 AM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

After many motorway miles my bonnet has more chips than Harry Ramsden's

There were no signs of rust and I wanted to keep it that way, so I've touched up most of the chips using layers of rust cure, hammerite primer, silver top coat and lacquer. I believe the metal work is now protected from the dreaded rust but the end result is still a splodgy mess

My question is what are the options for restoring it to its former glory and protecting it?

Can the chips be individually done professionally? If so how does this cost and compare to a complete strip down and respray?

Assuming the paintwork can be restored what are the options for protecting it for the future – I don’t really want to have to go through this on an annual basis

I have heard some people mention Armourfend what is this (and other similar products) does it work – how much does it cost etc?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 16 August 2001, 11:17 AM
greeny
Scooby Regular

I'm sure most of us have a similar problem.

I know no solution, so if anyone has had anything done profesionally I'd be interested to know.

Greeny
Old 16 August 2001, 01:46 PM
CM
Scooby Newbie

Having had my scoob 2.5 months and covered 10,000 miles, I can't believe how many stone chips the car is getting!

I don't know whether it's just bad luck, or the paint is thinner on subarus, but it's starting to look a bit of a state. Will be using some kind of touch up paint to cover the metal, but have also noticed slight denting of the metal where stones have made contact.

I've resided to the fact that is just going to happen, and will remember to advise anyone looking to get a 2nd hand scoob to make sure they check the front of the car for chips & rust.

Would appreciate any ideas, apart from one of those "nose bras" which do a great job of making the car look c8ap.

CM
Old 16 August 2001, 02:23 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

I have owned a Scoob for 4 months, my Skyline for 18 months and there is no comparison. Subaru paintwork is ****e. Both cars are WR blue, Skyline 2k more miles but the Subaru has added black polka dots for effect. I am thinking of taking car my Scoob back to the dealer to see what they can come up with or if Subaru are aware of just how poor there paintwork is compared with other japanese cars.

Steve
Old 16 August 2001, 02:36 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Subaru's are known for poor (read weak) paint finish.

I don't know if the pre MY01 cars had an alloy bonnet, but if they do then rust will obviously NOT be a problem (apart from looks).

Steve,
I would be interested to know what Subaru have to say when you go back to the dealer.

Cheers,
Darren.