Sponsored by:

WRX STI Type R Confusion, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2001, 09:08 PM
STIHIGH
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Today I drove a WRX STI Type R, silver, T reg, 30k miles, seriously rapid!

Can anybody tell me the true spec about the Type R please ASAP as I need to make a decision. Amongst other things does it have ABS etc?

Any known pitfalls about owning one?

Also strangley it says on the UK reg doc that it is an 'Impreza 22B ST Type UK" but reading reading up on the internet I don't think it is!! Reg doc also says new at first registration? Any ideas.

I'm not keen on the import thing and don't want to buy a lemon, please help.

If I don't get the Type R, P1's are good but too expensive for me. Is the RB 5 any good?
Should I buy a standard old shape scoob and modify it, how much does that cost. What do I have to spend to get an equivalent P1 or better if I go that route ?

You'll gather i'm new to this site so would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Thanks
Old 11 August 2001, 11:48 PM
STIHIGH
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

I'm now assuming the WRX STI Type R doesn't have ABS - how much to fit it or upgrade the brakes?

Also from what I've read the back end seems a bit skitty on bumpy surfaces - true or false? Can the suspension be modded to sort that out?

Thanks
Old 12 August 2001, 10:34 AM
STIHIGH
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks Simon

At least you've resolved one decision for me.

So I'm now thinking that I should buy a standard UK car with ABS and get it modded to match at least the performnace of the Type R.

Or do the WRX's have ABS? Are all the WRX's imported?

Is it best to go the Prodrive route or Scoobysport, also cost to get it upto 300bhp and the brakes/suspension upgrades to take it?

Based upon bhp I'm not sure the 'RB5' would give quite enough compared to the Type R but I haven't been in one so am here to be corrected.

Sorry for so many questions but I need to learn and do it quick as I want to get the car ASAP!

Thanks.
Old 12 August 2001, 10:59 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Cool

GMorning

STI type-R spec : Roughly 280bhp standard, to take it to 300bhp then add de-cat exhaust and air filter/induction kit. Big brakes are the way to go for fast road/track driving.

STI 4-door has ABS, type-R (2-door) does not as there is no space (but lack of ABS does not make this a bad car and should not be a minus point against it. It's just a bit more feedback and control for the driver.)

It's not just a straight decision when it comes to power either, i.e. more bhp doesn't mean it_will_be faster, it's more the way it is delivered. You have to also look at the gearing, as on a type-R it's so close together, whereas on a WRX or UK spec the gearing is much longer.

All WRX and WRX STI (old shape) are Jap imports.

The best thing to do is drive a UK spec, STI 4-door and an STI type-R back to back, and then pick the type-R.

Old 12 August 2001, 12:05 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi STIHIGH

The "skittish" rear end of the Type R is mainly due to the diff set-up. In addition, I think the Non-ABS is something you would have to live with. I don't think it's a straight forward matter to fit it.

If ABS and ease of driving are what you are after, then the Type R is not for you.

I hope you find what you're looking for

All the best

Simon