Sponsored by:

P1 (In particular) Owners Attention

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 10:30 PM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just got back from Powerstation (via Milton Keynes ) having had the bump steer mod and anti lift kit. Wow!! I cannot believe what this has done to the handling of the car it is quite astounding! So I thoroughly recommend getting it done if you want the most out of your scoob.

Pete
Old 01 August 2001, 12:01 AM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

I haven't been on the absolute limit yet as I have only been driving it on the roads Im off to Bedford Autodrome next friday so I'll be able to tell you more, however I can tell you that I threw into some Milton Keynes roundabouts very fast and no understeer! Which was nice! I'll wait to try on the track, before I give you a full account.
Old 01 August 2001, 12:15 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

How much did it cost??

Medders.
Old 01 August 2001, 04:32 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Have you driven the car at the limit since, and if so how does it behave compared to before? Can you be more specific than "it handles better"?
Old 01 August 2001, 08:12 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

More info please........await with interest!
Old 01 August 2001, 01:00 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Why more specifically P1 owners?
Old 01 August 2001, 01:13 PM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

The bump steer was around a hundred the antilift about hundred and fifty.

Adam: Why P1 in particular, I just think the P1 suffers particularly from understeer more than any other model I have driven.
Old 01 August 2001, 01:33 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Smile

For the really stupid, what's a 'bump steer mod' and 'anti lift kit'? I don't find the P1 understeers particularly, though it does enjoy a good 4 wheel drift in the wet!

Gordo
Old 01 August 2001, 02:23 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Gordo,
Find a roundabout onto a dual cariageway and boot it as hard as you can staying in the right hand lane off the roundabout. Try really hard to keep the car in the right hand lane

(Sorry if that sounds wierd, but it's the most noticeable understeer moment I've had - and it was whilst a TT was trying it on - but that's another post I believe!!)

Old 01 August 2001, 03:45 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

An important question is why do you want a neutrally handling car? Wouldn't that exaggerate the lift-off oversteer characteristics of the Impreza near the limit?

Although the P1 is set up to understeer, IMO it is not too much and certainly not enough to stop you getting power oversteer or 4 wheel drifts as well, in the right circumstances (i.e. where the rear tyres are doing similar or more work than the fronts).

P.S. Medders, I am guessing that some of the understeer you experienced on the roundabout was just because you either applied the power too early (i.e. cornering near the limit of the fronts, then ask the tyres to cope with a burst of acceleration too = overload their grip, and understeer). If you accelerated a bit later (i.e. with the tyres pointed more straight), I think you'd exit the roundabout faster, and get little or no understeer? If you accelerate even later you might get a nice 4 wheel drift too. Obviously I could be wrong on this though - I don't know the exact circumstances after all!

Old 01 August 2001, 08:04 PM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

Matt

The reason is I want better turn in (got that) and a more stable car under braking and to make it easier to bring into oversteer for them track days

Its quite true you can get P1 to oversteer with lift off and a bit of trail braking but its quite tricky and can catch you out if you not on top of it, esp at high speed.
I had a conversation with Josh Levy about this and apparently Simon de Banke was also have trouble getting the P1 to oversteer and eventually resorted to trail braking. Simon correct me if this is not tjhe case I am only repeating Josh's words.

I would much rather have something which is more progressive (got that too) and more controllable on the accellerator.
All in all I feel more confident with the car now as it is, the turn in is 10 times better and feels a lot more stable! But thats just my point of view any P1 owners out there going to Bedford next week are welcome to have a little go and give there own opinion.

You might want to note that that track day maniac Stef, has both bump steer and anti-lift perhaps stef can share his experience and reasons for the mod??

Either way with or without the mods I would strongly advise anyone, who drives their scoob hard, on going down to powerstation even if it is just for four wheel alignment, my geometry was a fair bit out!!!

Pete

Old 01 August 2001, 09:12 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
If you wanted to have an impreza that oversteers and for track use, why not get an sti5/6 typeR. I used to have 1 before the P1 and it oversteered in dry very easily. The power split was different at 65:35. In fact one reason why I changed to the P1 from the typeR was for less oversteer
Old 01 August 2001, 09:32 PM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

I wanted a scoob with a UK warranty PLUS not just for track use!!!

Also I doubt even with my mods the P1 oversteers as much as your type R

A shame they didn't have adjustable diff for the P1 though!

[This message has been edited by Web Guru (edited 01 August 2001).]
Old 11 August 2001, 11:45 AM
Web Guru
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok I am in a position to give continue where I left having given the old dog a thorough thrashing yesterday!!! hehe the handling was superb so again I must recommend this mod. Incidentally this will not affect engine warranty!

First off the understeer characteristic is still there it has not turned into an oversteer maniac. I was getting this quite a lot while I was 'experimenting' with the new handling and it comes in more less (a little less) the same as before if you plant it while your still turning. However a sharp turn in will start to produce oversteer, which is nice. Combine this with lift off loading and a little 'flick' and your going round corners 'rally stylee'. This is exactly what I bought a P1 for, you cannot beat that sideways feeling. All the time your getting plenty off feedback from the car and the oversteer never seemed to get out of control. This is my fifth trackday and its the first time I never lost it at all!!! Whether thats down to the new handling or me getting a little better I'm not sure probably a combination of the two.

Anyhows I am one happy owner whereas I was a little disappointed before i had this mod done.

Pete