Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Engineering / EcuTek transform my new age WRX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2002, 02:44 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just got back from Power Engineering in London who have had my MY02 UK Spec WRX for the last few days, they have fitted their replacement up pipe, twin dump down pipe, sports catalyst and back box. More importantly I have been lucky enough to be their first customer to have the standard ECU remapped, the car is totally transformed!!!

I wanted my car to be road legal and mapped as safely as possible, the sports catalyst takes care of the MOT, the boost is held at 16 PSI which is similar to the PPP.

My car feels much, much faster all through the rev range, max power is now 282 BHP @ 6686 RPM, max torque is 250 lbft (339Nm) @ 4000 RPM and over 230 lbft (312 Nm) between 2800 and 6400 RPM. All these figures are with 95 ron fuel, I guess Super / Optimax would give a few more HP.

The most amazing difference isn’t the increase in power it’s overall improvement to the feel, the car feels as if it really wants to go, before if I was on the motorway at 65 – 70 MPH I would always have to change down to 4th if I wanted to get going, now even on the uphill sections it just goes.

Power Engineering call the package I have the Power Pack 275, it costs £2250 (inc VAT) which includes the complete new exhaust system I have and a custom remap with dyno plots before and after.

Power Engineering are also offering a custom remap with dyno plots which is £650 + VAT fitted, on their own WRX they got around 255 BHP with just a back box and a remap.

I find it difficult to describe how pleased I am with my car, I previously had an MY99 with a downpipe back Scoobysport system, my new age never felt as sharp but now it’s in a different league. I have nothing to do with PE / EcuTek other than being a very happy customer and would like to thank David, Steve & Mervyn for not only doing an excellent job on my car but having the time to explain everything to me.

E.
Old 14 September 2002, 03:28 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

You do know your warranty is completely screwed ?
Old 14 September 2002, 03:40 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Yes, but I would rather take the small increased risk than spend £1700 for the PPP which consists of a back box, new restrictor and crude boost clamp that should cost less than £350 in total!

My car has been mapped very conservatively with better boost control and fueling than the PPP, many WRX’s have been running in America with much lower octane fuel and higher boost levels without any problems.

E.
Old 14 September 2002, 03:42 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yea, the Subaru police probably have a snap of you leaving the garage with a smile on your face, definite no no in a std wrx unless you've had it modded !! Bye Bye warranty...
Old 14 September 2002, 03:49 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Wink

bits'n'pieces

I've already committed the ultimate Subaru sin - I refused to give IM £2000 or £3000 extra profit, I got my car from Belgium!!!

E.
Old 14 September 2002, 03:49 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

Main reason I have a grey import . I wanted 280PS straight out of the box and stuff the warranty as I would lose it modding a 215bhp car anyway , also allows 300bhp easily with a few tweaks from standard plus its fully loaded with all the nice bits as standard .

I have ended up with a car which is very driveable with 220bhp/ton and group N box with short ratios, so I have hardly done anything to it and few cosmetic tweaks, brakes, guages and modded exhaust and thats about it. Still scarey how much I have spent on it though .
Old 14 September 2002, 03:52 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

Edward did PE do a before dyno run ? If so what were the figures ?

Trending Topics

Old 14 September 2002, 03:59 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

The graphs they have given me show a before and after plot, the first plot shows max power around 240 BHP @ around 6100 RPM and max torque around 220 lb ft, the curves after the remap are noticeably smoother.

I presume the before figures are after they had replaced the whole exhaust (I have a TSL back box and mid section before), I’ll check with PE on Monday, I should be able to scan the graphs later today.

E.
Old 14 September 2002, 03:59 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good on 'ya - sounds like exactly all those bugeye owners out there have been waiting for!!

Ignore all the doom-sayers, as I'm sure you were anyway. I suspect pretty much every Scoob owner on here has, by the letter of the law, invalidated their warranty in some way - mods, track days, wearing the wrong colour pants in the car etc etc

Looks like more booming business for PE & EcuTek
Old 14 September 2002, 04:08 PM
Type_RA
Scooby Regular

Simon I was just pointing out that his warranty maybe in question, its his choice but he should know the potential risks. Which obviously he does. I knew the risks and decided to buy standard power rather than modify a UK spec.

If anyone else reads this they they have the full facts and can judge whether they want to risk it or not. Going round saying "ignore them you warranty will be okay" could be an expensive piece of incorrect information for somebody. Dont think Subaru UK dont invalidate warranties because as we know they do .
Old 14 September 2002, 04:11 PM
ScottishMenace
Scooby Regular

Any news on the EcuTek STI7 mod.

Dvae Allan
Old 14 September 2002, 04:21 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

ScottishMenace

I asked about the STI this morning, EcuTek have the ability remap the STI 7 ECU, I’m not sure when they plan to release it, probably best giving them a ring.

E.
Old 14 September 2002, 10:58 PM
roadtrip
Scooby Regular

What does the exhaust sound like?

I got the TSL back box on my '02 and like the sound, how does the PE sound compare?

I was after a full de-cat and remap anyway so think I will give PE a call . . .

I wonder what results I'd get with this upgrade and with ITG and using Optimax + octane booster?

RoadyT (off to check the piggy bank)
Old 15 September 2002, 02:42 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Roadtrip, before the PE upgrade I had the two TSL centre sections and back box, I don't think the complete system from PE is much louder.

I guess with the air filter and Optimax it should be around 290 BHP with a bit more torque than mine.

E.

[Edited by Edward - 9/15/2002 2:43:42 PM]
Old 15 September 2002, 03:10 PM
WillieF
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave when I spoke to ECUTEK they said mid november however judging by this it might be earlier...
Old 15 September 2002, 03:44 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

This isnt on the PE website as yet, is it readily available or was yours a trial run?

Hmmmmm I'm VERY tempted by this, do ya think they'll do a group buy discount?

<gets credit card ready>

BOB
Old 15 September 2002, 05:06 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Question

Edward, any chance you can post the dyno plots?

And I guess they can remap to any existing exhaust setup? Anyone know, bit clueless about remaps, is this a new ECU, can you plug the old one back in if needs be?

Piers LoFi
Old 15 September 2002, 05:22 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Silly me, I've answered all my questions except the first by reading the really informative Power Engineering web site.

Piers LoFi

[Edited by LoFi - 9/15/2002 8:20:12 PM]
Old 16 September 2002, 08:17 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been told launch is early November.
Old 16 September 2002, 09:38 AM
D Power
Scooby Newbie

What we are doing is using this time to develop ECU calibrations for the WRX. Before we release the software to our partners we will map all cars here on the Dyno, this ensures that the results are perfect before we give this data to EcuTeK distributors.

The Power Pack is a joint develepment with PE using the cat exhaust. This way we have no issues with emissions and we know it works.

Edward's car was indeed a first. We were not aiming to give him a specific power output. In fact we map the other way round, we set a boost pressure that we felt was sensible and mapped everything to suit this boost, only then did we power test it. Whilst we were very very pleased with the results the power was incidentally.

We will offer the ECU mapping at PE but only on selected cars at this stage. The reason for this is that we want to see cars of differing specs so that we accumulate the mapping data which will then be used to help our dealers.

We are finalising the software now so that it is easy for our partners to use and then we will release it to them. We are also launching EcuTeK in the US at the worlds largest tuning show in Las Vegas 5th - 8th November so you can see we will be busy.

If anyone is interested in having this work carried out you don't have to have the exhaust system as we are looking to develop mapping for all the common specs out there. However at this stage we are saying that we need the car overnight, this gives us the oportunity to carry out the detailed testing we need to ensure that each car is perfect.
Old 16 September 2002, 09:42 AM
Edward
Scooby Regular

I'll scan the graphs later, I got the impression that PE were ready to do custom remaps now, probably best speaking to David @ PE (01895 255699).

I drove my car again yesterday evening on some of my favourite roads, the difference is amazing.

Edited to say the David has just answered some of the questions as I was typing.

E.

[Edited by Edward - 9/16/2002 9:44:10 AM]
Old 16 September 2002, 05:44 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

I am so tempted by this remap. Might give PE a call in the morning and see what they are after.

Gordo
Visit Scooycity

[Edited by elgordano - 9/16/2002 7:11:32 PM]
Old 16 September 2002, 07:05 PM
scottywrx
Scooby Regular

Gordo ...

Let me know how u get on .. As usual I will be following u on the mod trail !!

Scott
Visit ScoobyCity

Old 16 September 2002, 07:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Why does the first post of someone being really pleased with their car have to start I hope you know your warranty is screwed

I know it isn't jealousy in this case, but it could read like it! It's like the Harry Enfield character: "you don't wanna do it like that!" This ain't a flame, just a case of "I wonder why the first post is like that". Do people assume Power Engineering would "forget" to mention that warranty is up the spout?

Back to the thread, sounds excellent, and it's great to know that this mod is making such a great increase in the performance of the WRX!

Nick.
Old 16 September 2002, 08:16 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i agree with you totally chiark i think the people who have these mods done know exactly where they stand

and to be honest bugeye owners are pretty p%ssed keep hearing about the classic being faster and so are making there car as fast as it should be

i am a power engineering fan though
Old 16 September 2002, 08:38 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Better start saving!!

Steve
Old 16 September 2002, 11:25 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I can only speak from Experience my TEK2.5 for an MY99 is fantastic. The car has been flying since I first had it done. I can't wait for the cooler weather

I bought a copy of delta dash and that's fantastic

I know someone that is thinking about the PPP for an STi7 and is fed up with waiting. He'll end up going down the Scoobysport and Tek route!!

Fair play to these boys

Cheers Phill C
Old 19 September 2002, 12:50 AM
Edward
Scooby Regular

I have posted the graph in the drivetrain section:
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=133072

E.
Old 19 September 2002, 01:55 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular