Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

£605.00 down and car runs like a dog

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2001, 12:08 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um....is the timing not suspect after the belt change? As I recall they're allowed to be a *few* teeth out....but that's all

Richard
Old 07 August 2001, 01:28 AM
colinp
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

I'm looking for some inspiration! Having taken my Sport to a reputable Subaru Dealer for a routine 45,000 service (important timing belt change, expensive!). On the journey home I noticed the car wasn't running right, it wouldn't accelerate smoothly? (slight miss fire under load). I reported it to the dealer the following day and to cut a long story short I've now returned the car 3 times with in a week, and they have failed to resolve the problem. It took a while for them to agree that there was in fact a fault on the vehicle!. So far they've changed the 'lamber probe £150' (charged me), replaced the spark plugs fitted during the service, check the timing at least 3 times and clocked up 7.5 mile test driving.
They have agreed to keep the car a day until they identify the fault (trial and error). Have any of you had problems after a routine service where you weren't happy with your cars performance, symptoms like those I described.

look forward to your replies

Kind regards,

ColinP (£605.00 down and car runs like a dog)

[This message has been edited by colinp (edited 07 August 2001).]
Old 07 August 2001, 09:54 AM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

Bad luck on that one mate- I hope they find the problem.

I had a similar kind of issue with my last car, and astra.

The wanted to change things like Lamda sensors and EGR valves and so on. I said to them to do what they liked, but if they replaced something and it made no difference, to take it out and put the old one back in.

It's not fair for them to charge you £150 for a lamda sensor if it didn't really need one; and they're just clutching at straws.

Old 07 August 2001, 01:41 PM
Natural Born Chiller
Scooby Regular

Location: Waltham, a nice village that's just a little too close to Grimsby!
<B>Quote: they're allowed to be a *few* teeth out</B>

It should be spot on else there could be <B>MAJOR</B> mechanical failure!!!
Bent Valves, Smashed pistons etc... Not to mention poor running!

[This message has been edited by Natural Born Chiller (edited 07 August 2001).]
Old 07 August 2001, 03:27 PM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

is the car still under warranty? if so, i'd try taking it to a different dealer and getting them to find out the problem. Then take it back to your original dealer to fix it.
Old 07 August 2001, 03:29 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Would this dealer happen to be a Surrey dealer that also sells Saab and Lotus cars??

Old 07 August 2001, 05:21 PM
JohnSubaru
Scooby Regular

Red face

Definately sounds like a Timeing problem to me although i am no expert. I once changed the timeing belt on my old Cav thought it was all ok started the engine heard metalic clicking noise and a misfire. Immediately stopped the engine and re-installed the belt and all was ok after. But i really would'nt advise you drive your car until it's sorted.
Old 07 August 2001, 05:48 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Colin

Could be the lambda sensor. This senses the emissions and adjusts the mixture according to this, so if its been fitted wrong or is dodgy then it could explain for the lack of power.

See if you can get hold of Pete Croney at Scoobysports, he will give a bit more info !!

Dave
Old 07 August 2001, 06:08 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I can't see how a Lambda probe failure could cause a misfire?

Sounds like the cam belt a few teeth out somewhere to me.

My early WRX had a belt put on badly at one point but still managed to produde 267BHP on the rolling road dyno (or something like that).

Get/suggest they take the timing belt covers off and re-check the alignment?
Old 07 August 2001, 11:02 PM
colinp
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Thanks guys for the feedback,

slippyr4, cheers. After getting them to agree that the car has a bit of a problem on the third visit, lambda (lamber or lamba, whichever) sensor fitted on the second visit, they'd agreed that they would fit the original. Having said that the reason they'd changed it was because they noted couple of error in the EMU. It's out of warranty.

JoeyDeacon, I won't give away the name of the dealer.....YET!

Others, yes sound like timing is the favourite, got to be a major suspect since that was the only thing apart from the plugs (which I had them replace on the 3rd visit) they would have/should have touched. It seems like they want to replace the oil before they re-visit the timing belt fitting! When I mentioned timing belt, they said the car would tick over badly, and it doesn't. It's when it's under load, at low revs in forth for example you step on it and it feels like your on a bumpy road with a strong wind against you; doesn't pickup at all. Had a problem over taking a lorry, nearly had to bailout
Well it's booked in Monday all day, I'm sure there'll be another story to tell, let hope it's a happy one!

thank guys... &
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by colinp:
<B>I'm looking for some inspiration! Having taken my Sport to a reputable Subaru Dealer for a routine 45,000 service (important timing belt change, expensive!). On the journey home I noticed the car wasn't running right, it wouldn't accelerate smoothly? (slight miss fire under load). I reported it to the dealer the following day and to cut a long story short I've now returned the car 3 times with in a week, and they have failed to resolve the problem. It took a while for them to agree that there was in fact a fault on the vehicle!. So far they've changed the 'lamber probe £150' (charged me), replaced the spark plugs fitted during the service, check the timing at least 3 times and clocked up 7.5 mile test driving.
They have agreed to keep the car a day until they identify the fault (trial and error). Have any of you had problems after a routine service where you weren't happy with your cars performance, symptoms like those I described.

look forward to your replies

Kind regards,

ColinP (£605.00 down and car runs like a dog)

[This message has been edited by colinp (edited 07 August 2001).][/quote]

[This message has been edited by colinp (edited 07 August 2001).]