Sponsored by:

British Economy - Shambles

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2001, 08:59 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well, I'm sure eveyone knows my troubles recently with leaving my job and trying to find a new one. I had an interview today, and gave it 110%, looked my best (including suntan from the Harewood hillclimbs yesterday ), but I dont feel confident about it.

Things are going from bad to worse now and I still cant find a job. What is happening to this country? I am 27, intelligent, have a degree and HND, lots of experience, confidence and skills but no-one is willing to give me a job!!! I have also just read that manufacturing is going into recession.

I am now getting into monetary problems so if I dont find something this week the MR2 will have to go next week. It has taken me three years of driving around in bangers to get to the stage where I can finally drive something decent and it looks like I will have to get rid after only 4 months ownership

Tomorrow I am swallowing my pride and will try to get a job packing/labouring to keep the car. Straight back to what I was doing in the summer whilst at uni. I will earn about £4 an hour and have to work all the overtime available (i.e. 70 hours per week) just to keep the car.

Maybe it is Lancashire that is the problem, but it is very frustrating - all these reported skills shortages in IT, teaching etc yet no jobs anywhere.

Sorry to be the bringer of doom but had to get my anger down somewhere, and I know I have to be positive and that something will turn up. Rant over.

I think I will go and live as a hermit "free from the daily pursuit of gain" as the guy in the Toyota ad says - just not so keen on whipping myself with twigs when I dream of trackdays, dump valves and exhaust notes.

Wibble

DW

Old 06 August 2001, 09:50 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Old 06 August 2001, 10:11 PM
Tal
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry to hear about your missfortune somthing will turn up keep pluging away

what do you do btw what transferable skills do you have can you work for yourself ??

Whats your Degree in ??

Tal
Old 06 August 2001, 10:39 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

Don't beat yourself up over it - there truly is a recession going on, and everyone is having to stop the spending. Somesectors (manuf, IT, advertising) have been hit hardest and will continue to be hard hit until the public stops spending at retail, then all **** breaks loose until someone finally realises this always bloody happens and that we should work together to pull out of it.

You're smart to get a job in whatever sector you can - just remember that it is actually a blip, and will be over (hopefully in less than 2 years).

You can always keep looking for other stuff whilst you're earning a living too.

Chin up mate and all the best.
Old 06 August 2001, 10:39 PM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

Dream Weaver
Sorry to hear of your work seeking problems.
The Oil Industry is suffering from a skill shortage at the moment, I don't know what degree you have but if you are prepared to relocate there are a number of oil service companies that are prepared to train the right person. The down side of course is that the industry does go in cycles, things may not be so busy in even 18 months time.

Good luck anyway.

M
Old 06 August 2001, 10:43 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

DW

No promises, but mail me your CV.

TONY
Old 06 August 2001, 11:24 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

just a thought DW, i dont know what you know etc but have you considered setting up your own business.

im sure many a good business has been set up because the owner was pushed into it through unemployment.

I feel i could make loads of money doing exactly what i do now, but for myself,

But I like many people want the security too much to risk it.

just try something you know you are good at and you could be rich in 5 years time.

only advice would be borrow as little as you can dont let the banks run the company 4 u
easy for others to say i know but just trying to help.
Old 06 August 2001, 11:57 PM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

Hey DW

I remember your take on the MY01 - that was a great effort. Can't be arsed to dig out the thread - too tired......but it was cool if anyone ain't seen it. Dig it out.

But hey if you can do that you should design cars or something. The new MG rovers could do with a DW makeover.

As for the economy if the BoE don't reduce interest rates and the government don't start spending to fluff up the economy we are going to be heading straight into a recession based on consumers spending money on credit secured against their inflated property values. Sound familiar?

G
Old 07 August 2001, 12:05 AM
Julian_W
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Similar story here too guys.

I run a company that does maintenance and repair work to industrial plant and machinery in the west mids.
Manufacturing has been in recession here for the last 18 months!!!! Lots of big companies going to the wall.

Had to sell my scoob 6 months ago but mainly because we had our first bundle of joy arrive. Saved on the benefit in kind and also got a bigger SLOWER car. 406 estate diesel. Boo hoo :-(

Anyway things can't last for ever economy wise and who knows Dream Weaver this time next year you may be saying it was the best thing that ever happened to you. Well maybe. Keep your chin up and all the best.

I think I want the new Sti next year so I had better save hard and get some more bloomin' customers on the books.

Oh is that a customer on the phone????

Old 07 August 2001, 12:12 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Well, if you have a job to advertise, put it on the Scoobynet sponsor Gis-a-Job! (
Old 07 August 2001, 01:14 AM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear you're having a bit of bother finding something. I'd just say that, in the current climate, you want to focus on keeping in reasonable financial shape and being able to take advantage of when the economy picks up again (which could well be a while). If owning your car is a stretch, it's probably best to ditch it now - even if that feels painful, you'll save depreciation, bills etc.

From personal experience I would recommend doing a thorough review of your monthly outgoings, and trying to cut down everything that is not necessary, until you have something reasonably secure lined up. This doesn't just save cash, I found it also makes you feel better because you feel less worried about having to make ends meet. You can't do anything about the state of the economy, so just focus on things you *can* influence - something will turn up if you keep looking hard enough. Like Ron says, in tough times it is all about attitude and fighting spirit. Good luck!
Old 07 August 2001, 08:06 AM
PhilH
Scooby Regular

Talking

DW

I'm advertising a post in the Guardian in the next week or so that you might be interested in, but it would mean a move to the West Midlands - mail me if you're interested.

Phil
Old 07 August 2001, 08:12 AM
blubell
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your current difficulties Dream Weaver. Believe me you are doing the right things - networking. Did you know that some 70% of all vacancies are never advertised! The only other thing is to do your home work, identify potential companies and the key people and approach them directly. It takes a lot of bottle but can be worht it.

Good Luck
Old 07 August 2001, 08:35 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that things are not the best. Hope something comes along very soon mate.
Mossman
Old 07 August 2001, 08:58 AM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Wink

Remeber: "If they don't get you in the wash, they'll catch you in the rinse"!

Actually, I guess that's not much use to you.
Sorry.

Does the name "Dream Weaver" indicate that you are a web designer by any chance?

Have you though of approaching agencies?
There is generally more money to be made in contract work, and it could lead to permanent stuff anyway.

The best thing you can do is to see this as an opportunity (oh no, not that one again!)
You are still young and can afford to try a few different things if you need to.

Think about relocating before you sell the car. There are still no end of jobs in and around London. Have you tried contacting any of the companies who advertise on the net?

If it comes to it, go and work abroad. You may not get the chance later in life.
Old 07 August 2001, 09:14 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Hi Dream Weaver
Well I am in the same position as you. Went to college five years ago after working in various low paid jobs (I left school with no qualifications). I got my degree last year in Multimedia Technology and am the same age as you. I have had no luck in finding a job in web design or Multimedia it seems their is 100 graduates chasing the same few jobs. I have been applying for anything half decent and even went for an interview as a BMW salesman last week. Working in a shop or pub getting minimum wage fills me with fear. What really pis$es me of is when you travel 100 + miles for an interview and they don't even get in touch after. Anyway you are not alone just keep applying for jobs something will come up. I am currently doing a bit of freelance work but this is quite rare. Oh well could be worse, at least the wife has a good job and keeps the Scooby on the road.

Cheers

Jer
Old 07 August 2001, 09:45 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

DW,

Sorry to hear of your plight. Here in the smoke I know of loads of IT permies and contractors who are finding it hard to get work. It isn't just you. But there are jobs out there, you might have to compromise a lot on salary, have a long commute, or even relocate. One thing that might be worth a try, is to identify potential companies (via the web) and do a bit of research (again via the web) to find out the Managing Director or CEO's name. Then send the CEO an email with your CV and a covering letter. A chap did that in my company and they were falling over themselves to reward such initiative. They eventually *created* a job for him. Worth a try.

Lastly, please keep you chin up and stay positive. During the last recession I was in dire straits, lost my job, then the car. Even went on the dole for a while. Did some temping to keep a bit of money rolling in. Eventually, I found a fairly reasonable job that kept me in good stead for a couple of years to ride out the recession. I know there is someone out there looking for your talents - even if they don't know it yet!

All the best mate, and good luck.
Old 07 August 2001, 11:39 AM
jjr1
Scooby Regular

Ok I need a broker for FTSE trading and one of you loons could be the lucky one.
Pay is 25k plus bonuses and you need a reasonable knowledge of finance. No licky licky emails just a simple cv with brief covering letter and any related experience.

Jonathan@obsideo.net
Old 07 August 2001, 11:54 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Wink

As it seems that about 75% of all Scoobs are driven by IT geeks (flamesuit zipped up as far as it will go ) - i think a degree of networking on this board could be highly successful for anyone looking to find a job within IT!

New Forum Simon? Job Opportunites!

DW - Good luck finding something.

Russ
Old 07 August 2001, 12:16 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Mate

Just remember that its not the dog thats in the fight, its the fight thats in the dog.

Ron
Old 07 August 2001, 06:46 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by melpaul2002:
<B>just a thought DW, i dont know what you know etc but have you considered setting up your own business.[/quote]

DW,

melpaul2002 might have a valid point there!!!

Just up the road from you in Clapham (drove past on the way back from NCT1 - but you already know that ) is a <B>teenage schoolkid</B> who does basic web pages for local businesses.

Take a look at
Old 07 August 2001, 07:22 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

First off, a BIG thanks to all who have replied to my thread. I have to say you cheered me up no end, and have managed to make me much more positive now. I read the replies this afternoon at 1:30pm, and by 2pm had already fired off 2 job apps and continued developing my online CV (
Old 07 August 2001, 08:22 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Talking

If it gets really bad i can try to get you a non-skilled job in Lancs/Yorks.Hipe I'm not inulting you,but if you need a fill job then drop me an email.Crap money,about 13k per annum,but its just moving things from A to B so your brain can have a rest.