Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to test drive a 97MY to compare brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2001, 10:59 PM
Jack Cowell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can any body in the Glasgow area let me compare their cars brakes to mine preferably MY97.
I need to change my front disks and so thought of upgrading the brakes to Brembos I spoke to AVA about fitting them. I told them I though the brakes on my car were crap and explained my reasons for this. As I drive three different cars they suggested I drive another Scooby and compare in case the brakes require repair before upgrading. I drive a 4x4 for work and its brakes are a better feel than Scooby. My wife drives an Integra type R and its brakes are awesome.
They also explained about increased braking forces on front and imbalances on front/rear braking forces. ABS is set up for standard brakes so there may be a different effect with bigger disks. Has anybody noticed any change in the feel of the car (e.g. braking on corners) apart from straight line braking when upgrading.
Old 06 August 2001, 11:08 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Jack
I can't help with letting you drive my car (it's a my00) but I went from standard four pots to Brembo's, and noticed that the steering felt weightier, or a bit heavier, didn't really notice too much until I went back to the standard calipers, I guess the heavier discs was giving some sort of giroscopic effect on the way the steering felt. Strandel the car felt a little more balanced as-well, but I've got used to it now.
Ron
Old 07 August 2001, 12:00 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jack,

If it helps, my old MY97 UK had crap brakes. I changed the disks, pads, hoses and brake fluid. The changes helped.

Problem was when I test drove my current MY99 UK car, the standard 4-pots were better!!

This time instead of upgrading the components and keeping the standard calipers, I bought the AP Racing 6-pot kit!!

I need to upgrade the rears now!!

Andy
Old 07 August 2001, 12:57 AM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

Hi Jack,

I'm in Cumbernauld.

I've got a '94 WRX that's just been upgraded from 2-pots to 4-pots. So it's still fresh in my mind as to how 2-pots should stop!

I would say that my 2-pot setup was very good in comparison to the difference I was expecting after the upgrade to 4-pots. That may be due to the disks and pads that were fitted when I brought the car over from Japan, though!

Give me a shout, if you want to drive mine.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Pitchford (edited 07 August 2001).]
Old 07 August 2001, 11:54 AM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jack, MY97, Dullatur. E-mail me
Old 07 August 2001, 12:58 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Wink

I drive an MY97 in Fort William and if down near you would maybe be able to help. Work a bit over the top at present so will email if will be in your area.
Don't know how much help it would be though as although I think my brakes are ok-ish, the fronts may be slightly warped as I get slight steering wheel shudder under heavy braking. After mine you would probably be glad to stick to what you've got. My wife drives a Prelude and every time I use her car I near go through the windscreen as the Honda brakes are so good.
Alasdair