Help - Tree Sap Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 03:10 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All

Got tree sap on the Scoob that's gone hard. I've managed to get most of it off (using Mer), but you can still see patches of it (like small polished glass spots) at the right angle.

Even took it Subaru who said "you'll have trouble getting that off".

After searching the Net, someone said use WD-40 ! I'm scared to do that :-(

Any thoughts, advice ... or who's a brave valeter?

J.
Old 11 September 2002, 04:05 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Call Mark Underwood!!!!
He's the man!
Old 11 September 2002, 04:10 PM
merkin
Scooby Regular

Might sound a bit strange, and i take no responsibility for your paintwork, but I used Zoff (the stuff you use for removing sticky bits left by plasters etc) on my car to remove the sticky residue left by my number plate being badly stuck on, worked a treat on that, and no affect on paintwork, dont know if it'll work on sap, but might be worth a go...
Old 11 September 2002, 04:16 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Try really hot water ( not boiling ) first to loosen it up and then try with the Mer again. It seems to work for me OK and doesnt damage the paint work. Ive also found that using the autoglym extra gloss protection wax after using the mer helps this from
happening in the future.

WD40 is ok as Ive used this to remove some adhesive tape residues from my FTO recently.

Ive heard the autoglym tar remover or that Bug remover ( in the lairy green container ) are pretty useless so dont waste your money.

Old 11 September 2002, 05:01 PM
Doc@IlsonIlson
Scooby Regular

Try Autoglym super resin polish, has a small amount of cutting agent in and worked for my Sap at the weekend.
Old 11 September 2002, 05:05 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

I'll give all the methods a try

J.
Old 11 September 2002, 05:13 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'd just go with hot water and your preferred non-detergent car wash. It works. Well

Nick
(with trees in the work car park that just pee sap out...)

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2002, 05:58 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

If you know which trees they are cut the bark with a razor blade & keep inserting & strong weed killer (round up or similar) do this several times, the leaves will fall off during Autumn & next year one dead tree.
As far as cleaning it off just ring Mark Underwood as previously suggested, not only are his products good but they require less effort than some others mentioned
Old 11 September 2002, 06:01 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Smile

Stuart J

... or chop the f**ker down

Is Mark local to West Sussex?

J.
Old 11 September 2002, 06:23 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I went on holiday and parked my car in the hotel carpark for 3weeks, when we got back to it, it was covered in sap, the paint was mat black rather than gloss.. I thought it was going to be a nightmare to get off but just washed it with hot water and shampoo like normal just took about 5washes over a few weeks to get it all off.. first wash took most off though..

Just keep washing it with hot water once a week and it will soon all come off..

It is good to use warm to hot water rather than cold to wash the car with anyway.

Also polish the car lots when it is all off and the sap will come of easier the next time it gets covered. IMHO..

JGM
Old 11 September 2002, 09:43 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Regular polishing is the name of the game here. Always keep yer polish topped up and the glass like beads of hardened sap will dissolve with warm water. Also try and wash the sap off the following day before its had chance to harden. My mate Ted never used to polish his Allegro and parked under a sycamore down on the farm. The car turned from Harvest Gold to lurid matt green in 18 months. Bloody trees.......Blutes

p.s.
The Allegro is now un road worthy and has taken root. Mushrooms grow in the boot.
Old 12 September 2002, 08:58 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

fdpzfunix
Mark is based in Plymouth but travells "virtually" anywhere in the UK. If you have the money to spare get him in to do the full monty valet on your car, its well worth it. Ring him direct for costs, initially it seems a lot but if you consider his travelling time & the fact that he spends all day on your car its worth it. He does all the outside, inside the car & the engine bay, the results are stunning.
Old 12 September 2002, 09:03 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I had that problem, it was on my bonnett, I got the car hot & sitting it the sun, the spots [like a blister] became soft & I was able to wipe them off with Baby [bum cleaning] Wipes of all things.

The bit on the boot I could not get it hot enough, so I let it go cold then pressed the blade of a scewdriver on it, it then shattered & I was able to wash it off.
I triedmost other things but with out any joy
Old 12 September 2002, 09:03 AM
storm555
Scooby Regular

I had similar on my last car...I bought some Autoglym Tar Remover...dab it on the spots....then wash with a good car shampoo (I used the Halfords Intense Wash) ...rinse off...and then wash again with wax shampoo.....I then did a once over with wax polish....took some elbow grease but it worked!
Old 12 September 2002, 10:34 AM
NewWrX
Scooby Regular

I've had this problem especially with some tree sap that has gone white and crusty and if you use too much elbow grease you'll just ruin the paintwork eventually. So wait for it Methylated Spirits zero effort then a good wash followed by polish. Try on a bit of paintwork thats not obvious 1st though. Also you only need a small amount dabbed on a cloth.