Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying a leased car?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2001, 01:08 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking of getting a leased Scooby WRX 5 door. I take it that as PPP is a Subaru optional extra then I can get it as part of the lease package.
As the cost for PPP is high for its benefits , does anyone know any enlightened lease companies who allow non Subaru modifications on their cars - or do you just put a back box on without saying (but with insurance probs?)and take it off at the end of the lease??

Nick
Old 03 August 2001, 01:57 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
butty,

you have mail

tiggs
Old 03 August 2001, 03:02 PM
Mike Burton
Scooby Regular

I've asked the same thing of my lease company and they said "oh no. No way hosay"

--
Mike
Old 03 August 2001, 03:30 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

I guess it will depend on your lease company.

My company uses ING Lease (formerly CW Lease), and they will allow performance modifications only if they are on the manufacturers price list.

Initially, they would not allow the PPP as they saw it as an after-market 'chip' (because it came from Prodrive and not Subaru). When it was pointed out to them that all of the Prodrive modifications are officially sanctioned by Subaru UK, and hence don't effect the warranty, they changed their mind.

Anyone ordering a Scooby from them can add any of the Prodrive parts, and the cost is simply divided by the lease term (in months) and then added to the monthly cost.

The other thing to bear in mind is the policy of your company to performance mods. Your lease company may allow them, but your own company may not.

Andy.
Old 03 August 2001, 05:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if it is a detachable mod ie. a backbox, then buy it yourself- put it on the car and sell it when you hand the car back.

if you split the cost over the lease term you end up paying for a extra that you then give back to the lease company.

and by the way- dont upset your innsurance company but if you upset a lease compnay who cares?

what they gonna do if they find out you put on a back box (which they never would anyway) ????

tiggs
Old 03 August 2001, 11:34 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Thanks all for replies.
Bagpuss - I am a one man band so am effectively The Company. I naturally encourage modifications to my company cars

Nick
Old 04 August 2001, 02:16 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
My car's leased and is modded in most of the usual areas. The lease company found out when some pr@t changing tyres phoned them for authorisation and proceded to tell them what a fantastic car it was and reeled off all the mods

They went mad. Our fleet manager went mad, but I simply said that they were all Prodrive mods and fully guaranteed (well, some are Prodrive ) and I would return the car to 100% standard condition when it goes back. They were happy with that. Truth is, since I'm going to get shafted on tax next year I'm going to buy the car.

From this I would say the lease company aren't the problem, but be very wary about insurance (as has been said above). I am very fortunate in that my company is effectively it's own insurance company (£100,000 excess) and I can drive any car, anytime, anywhere fully comp. When I go private, that is the thing I'll miss most.

Richard.
Old 04 August 2001, 09:40 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

I replaced my my98 with a P1 a couple of months ago, both are leased from International Motors. I had a PPP and full scoobysport exhaust fitted to the 98 car after i got it, when I replaced it with the P1 I put all the original bits in the boot.
IM didn't even bother to look at the car but just arranged for it to be taken straight to auction.
So I had no problems and have already started modding the P1
Old 04 August 2001, 09:54 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Do it anyway, and take it off if the engine blows up - <B>before</B> you call the assistance people.

David
Old 05 August 2001, 09:38 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Question

Bagpuss/Andy, did it affect the residual value for your car and was there much difference between the monthly payments?

Nath
Old 05 August 2001, 10:16 AM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

In the real world, it may have had a positive effect on the residual value. The car was certainly worth more to a private purchaser with the PPP than without it.

As far as the lease company was concerned, they have their residual values for the particular car type (e.g. Subaru Impreza Turbo), and they stick by them. So, as far as they were concerned, adding the PPP neither increased nor decreased the residual.

When it came to the monthly lease cost, they simply divided the cost of the PPP by 36 and addded that to the basic monthly price for the car.
Old 05 August 2001, 10:33 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks, we use ING too and I'm waiting for a quote for C/Hire on a MY 01...

Cheers Nath

[This message has been edited by 47 NAT (edited 05 August 2001).]
Old 05 August 2001, 02:21 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Ive used Autolease and the fascists made me ask just to change air freshener.Conned em out of SO2s though,the guy at Kwikfit phoned up and said they were all they had in stock at the time..............
Old 05 August 2001, 06:54 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bagpuss:
<B>In the real world, it may have had a positive effect on the residual value. The car was certainly worth more to a private purchaser with the PPP than without it.

[/quote]

I'm not trying to shoot you down, but I have known people to shy away from a car with a PPP due to the increased cost of insurance and running. Also like all mods you get back naff all of the cost price.