Sponsored by:

Cobra Kit cars??

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2001, 03:12 PM
Peter Johnson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I'm after a Cobra kit car, does anybody know anyone selling a Cobra Kitcar second hand, or is there any websites where I can find where I can buy a new one?

Has anyone built one, or recommend what type/size of engine I need to put in one??

Any help would be appreciated??
Old 02 August 2001, 03:57 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've been looking into this but after a Caterham 7 type thing.

Best place to look (for info and adverts) would be some of the kit car magazines. I have a couple <B>Kit-Car</B> and <B>Which Kit?</B>. First one has a website at
Old 02 August 2001, 04:04 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Peter,
Don't even consider installing anything smaller than a Rover V8. Preferably a Chevy, or for real authenticity - a big-block Ford...

Couple of kit car mags available in WH Smiths - usually plenty of Cobras in there - anything from £8k - £25k, depending on build.

Rumour has it you should avoid the 'Sumo' replicas. Dax or Gardner-Douglas would be top of my list.

cheers
Andrew

ps - avoid the Sierra-based kits. Look for the Jag XJ6 ones instead.

[This message has been edited by andrew6321 (edited 02 August 2001).]
Old 02 August 2001, 04:28 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Peter.

I was quite into kit cars a few years back and looked at quite a few Cobra replicas.
The best ones then were Dax (as stated) Ram SC (most authentic approach in my opinion) and BRA (Beribo Replica Automobiles). Gardener Douglas had some dodgy build/assembly issues back then but that may have changed in recent years(?).

At a time when 427s were the norm, BRA did the nice 289 kit which offered some sort of "exclusivity".

I agree that the Pilgrim Sumo, which only housed Ford 2.0 OHC or 3.0 V6 engines are some way off of the original concept and should probably be overlooked!

As I say though my experience is a little dated.

Failing that, AC still produce the Cobra today with about 4 engine options (including the Lotus V8), if you could stretch the budget......

Edited to say still the best looking car ever built in my opinion and a shame that it was diluted by thousands of **** replicas (amongst the good ones that is).

Neil.

[This message has been edited by Neil F (edited 02 August 2001).]
Old 02 August 2001, 04:51 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi

I would love one myself and have done a bit of digging.

Engine should be a Ford V8 but a lot of people go the Rover / Chevy Route.

Here are a few websites for you to consider

Cobra Replica Club -
Old 02 August 2001, 04:55 PM
Peter Johnson
Scooby Regular

Cheers everyone

Anyone been in one? Or raced one in your scoobs??

Pete
Old 02 August 2001, 05:19 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Well, I'm not sure I should reply after that lot!

Dad's just sold his almost-finished Sumo with a 2.8 Ford in it. My first car was a Dutton for 4 years, and Dad found himself with a rotting Cortina on the drive, early redundancy and a separation, so wanted something to do. Flicking through my kit car mags, he decided to build a cheap Cobra replica. Got it registered, but never bothered to finish the carpeting and dashboard - lost interest.

They've moved along a bit since the late 80s, but the general rule is still "don't think just because you can fix the brakes and swap an engine over, you can build a kit car". Actually the general rule is "nothing quite fits". And even then, most people who are confident on the mechanics make a real pigs ear of the electrics. I always said, if I found the guy who built my Dutton, I'd kneecap him.

I don't know what guidance Dax or Ram give, although they are reputable companies, but I would never recommend building one as your first kit unless you are seriously qualified in working on cars. Look at the amount of part-built kits for sale in the back of the above mags if you don't believe me. Yes, some people manage fine, but a lot don't.

Anyway, you haven't said how much you want to spend, time and money, so I don't see how people can advise you until otherwise! If you want to start from scratch, be prepared that these things are famous for taking longer and more money than expected.

One other thing - kit cars, almost by definition, handle worse than production cars. They do not have several million quids' worth of development and testing going into them, and usually handle well due to their general shape and adjustable shocks rather than anything else. I know which I prefer for getting from A to B safely!

What are you looking for exactly?

BJH
Old 02 August 2001, 06:14 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

My friends Dad use to race a 500-700bhp RAM Cobra. RAM did do a lot of development work on them and they handled a lot better than the original (which handled like a dog BTW).
If you want a car to pose in go for any well made car, if you want a car to drive get a RAM or Dax.

Mark
Old 02 August 2001, 07:31 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Dax do a rolling chassis kit for the lesser confident out there, and then you add the body panels kit as needed or when funds allow. we`ve got a guy at work who built a STYLUS as his first car and he said it was tricky but do-able, he also said if your building it yourself ( a cobra that is.) then allow 10 - 12k for a reasonable job with the jag based kit. use a hyperlink above for a shufti at their site.

mail me if you want me to put you in touch with my colleague.

Andy...
Old 02 August 2001, 11:34 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi
I'm no pro when it comes to these things, but if I were in the market for this sort of thing I'd think long and hard about it, and, cash permitting I'd buy one of the real things, after all, why have a copy when for a 'mere' 40k you can have yourself a genuine one, all be it with a carbon body, mind you, that must make it lighter as-well, so it might even be quicker!!
Ron
Old 03 August 2001, 11:00 AM
Peter Johnson
Scooby Regular

Cheers again for all the info

But as for expertise needed etc etc.. My dad owns a Garage which has the best sprayer/mechanics/body panelling people in the trade So it's gonna be fitted with probly a cossie, the parts i can get trade, and the spraying and stuff my dad can sort as me and him are going half on it all!

I heard it could be based on a 4x4 cossie sierra, so that would make it more study and more grip, but less fun

I reckon All we'll need is the basic kit and then a cheap cossie to swop the bits over I know i make it sound easy, but I aint expecting it done in a week, hopefully for next summer!

All these kits advertise are the same i take it?? So why are the prices so different??

Keep up the good info, cheers Pete
Old 03 August 2001, 11:17 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pete,
Its illegal to fit a 4-cylinder engine into a Cobra. V8s are the only acceptable power unit. If the police find you with a cossie engine in a Cobra bodyshell, you will be liable to prosecution.

You have been warned...

Andrew
Old 03 August 2001, 11:23 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete

I first fell for the Cobra when I saw a replica ( think it was a DAX ) at an early Fairford International Air Tatoo ( 1980 something ).

My mate was a trader ( Airband Radios and other plane spotter stuff ) and right next to us was the Cobra.

We were pitching the stall when this sound descended upon us and this twitching beast parked next to us.

It had a Rover engine in it and just looked the business. Silver paint and 4 into 1 side pipes.

Some years later whilst at COYS - A friend introduced me to one of the 'London Boys' who visit COYs every year.

He had a RAM SC with a 3.9 Rover in it. He bought second hand and has had it over 3 years. Fine weather driving only and he rarely lays a spanner on it. A little work to lay it up for winter and that's it.

He took me for a spin and I have decided that when I get a spare £20K I'm having one.

Could I just say one thing to you and that is V8 .

You need the sound and as the Americans would have it - There's no substitute for Cubic Inches.

There was a program on SKY ( Discovery Channel I think ) called ' A Car Is Born' which is repeated every now and again about a vet from near Bristol who went through the whole build.

Choosing the KIT and building it. He was a complete novice and he managed it ( no doubt with a little help ).

The most interesing episode was the engine choice.

He went to Pilgrim ( which I believe was the Kit he built ) and they had the 2.0 Pinto , 2.8 V6 , Rover 3.5 V8 and Chevy 351 V8 as demos.

The next clip showed him with a big beaming grin and a couple of grand lighter taking delivery of the Chevy 351.

Check out the CRC ( Cobra Replica Club ) as I have spoken to them a couple of times and they are just the same as us. Very enthusiastic about thier Marque and will offer help and assistance to you.

Best of luck and do keep us posted on how you get on.

Cheers
Old 04 August 2001, 01:54 AM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

Not too long ago there was a series of programmes on Sky called "A car is born" which involved a tele vet chappie building what I seem to remember being a Sumo Cobra replica. He fitted a 5.7 litre Chevie engine to it and the finished product looked and seemed to handle great, (he had a driver from Knockhill take it out and he was well impressed). They all look stupendous, and as the majority are only built for posse value, who cares if now and again some struggle round corners.
Old 04 August 2001, 07:48 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

please do not put a 4 cylinder engine in a cobra replica, I am begging you. Get the jag based kit and put a 5.3 in it, you know it makes sense. you just wont get the sound needed. oh, and try to get the twin side exit 5" straight through exhausts as well

Andy...