Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Westfield v R1 at the Nurburgring - full lap on video

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2001, 12:35 AM
BrownDot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic viewing. Amazing driving John.

Has Simon De Nutter done the Ring ? I'd love to see you guys head to head there.

-BD

Old 01 August 2001, 12:40 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

jza watch clarksons head 2 head video, r1 v porsche carrera 4 one lap, and see, i have biker mates despite previous threads, but in straight line they are fast, havent found many that would dare touch 170mph though while following BMW M3 EVO with 155mph limiter by past. or is your name really FOGGY? LEE.
Old 01 August 2001, 12:54 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

<yawn>

please dont start this again

Old 01 August 2001, 12:59 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Wow cool video =]
What engine is in the westie? (I've got a poor little xflow in mine)

I hate to say this to a fellow westi owner but the biker definatly has the edge the bulk of the lap... however I agree on the medium paced / fast courners u got him =]

er.. Theres no way a scoob would beat an R1 anywhere except maybee on the snow or RAC Rally =] /me prepares 2 be flamed.
Old 01 August 2001, 12:59 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nice to see you finally admitting defeat to a biker.
The worst thing is John I can make most blokes on R1`s look tossers on a 750 so I would probably hammer you even further down the pile
Old 01 August 2001, 02:08 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Question

well, it sounds good, but I can't get a picture, only fancy flashing lights from windows media player?

I went back and downloaded the codec (whatever that is) then unzipped it...... what have I done wrong?
Old 01 August 2001, 02:27 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike

After extracting you need to click and run the register_Divx.exe

Cheers

Richard
Old 01 August 2001, 02:39 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>It's safe to say that on this lap the bike was faster overall<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John.. Dude...

He was all over you like a rash mate

Nice lap and amazing video.. Those bike guys are bleedin nuts that's all I'll say

Richard

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 01 August 2001).]
Old 01 August 2001, 08:59 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

in the fast stuff, absolutely he was. In the slow/medium speed stuff he was toast m8.

It's worth remembering this guy does average laps of 7:55. That was my fastest to date in an underperforming car due to heat/my crap intercooler.

Joerund says that with a healthy car plus more experience from me i will be lapping faster than the R1, around 7:30 BTG he recons. I dont know if i can go that quickly but i'll give it a go. LOL

PS. That was my 38th lap ever of the ring. I have some catching up to do.
Old 01 August 2001, 09:14 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Joerund says that with a healthy car plus more experience from me i will be lapping faster than the R1, around 7:30 BTG he recons. I dont know if i can go that quickly but i'll give it a go<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John.... Please do remember one thing..

There are Old Pilots..

and there are Bold Pilots..

But there ain't no such thing as an Old Bold Pilot

Word..!!!!!!!

Richard

*cough* an Old Pilot LOL

Old 01 August 2001, 09:19 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rsquire:
<B> But there ain't no such thing as an Old Bold Pilot

[/quote]

Is John and Old Bald Pilot ?
Old 01 August 2001, 09:44 AM
ChrisB

Just downloading the 92MB version for when I get back from a customer's site later this morning

Arr, the joy of having a leased line!

ChrisB.
Old 01 August 2001, 09:55 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

Aaah You little Bandwidth waster you

The 39mb version is "perfectly adequate" Even fullscreen on 21" monitor
Old 01 August 2001, 10:21 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

What a good view from that Bike, what a nutter !!!

John you are addicted to the Ring, not a bad thing, but driving from Hyde to Germany in one day then back again, i don't know who is the biggest nutter you or the Biker.

Looking forward to seeing you brake the sub 8 minute lap.

See you at the Ring end of September ????

Matt
Old 01 August 2001, 10:55 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>In the slow/medium speed stuff he was toast m8.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great footage John!!

Sorry to disagree, but watching the rev counter, he seemed to be cruising round following you. He's rarely above 9000 rpm (where the R1 goes MENTAL) - when he does rev it he catches you up quickly. It seems to me that he was just hanging backing making a video.

You'll probably disagree, but your previous comments about bikes v cars dont really add up watching this video. You dont eat bikers for breakfast like you've previously said (at least not experienced bikers!!) .

But to be fair he's obviously very experienced judging by how he never seems to break on the blind corners!!!

Fantastic footage - loved how the fly gets SPLATTED in the first minute an gushes over his screen (just like real life!!!) and how he wheelies out of the bumpy corners.

Was the R1 modded at all? I'd like to see someone on a GSXR1000 and you together.

Also i'd be interested to see what happens if your cars on song and you are one up as well - will you be going again - and if so can you get another film done?? May make a better comparison.

To further the car/bike threads, if an R1 can keep up with John on the track , theres no way a scooby would stand a chance!!

Still, dont want this to sound like im having a go - not at all - your cars amazingly quick and the video's fantastic. Does the R1 rider film many people or was it just luck that you were infront?

Great video. Can i have a go???

Jza
Old 01 August 2001, 12:39 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Hi everyone.

I sneeked over to the Nurburgring on Saturday to drive my Westfield plus the Ariel Atom of Jon Reeves.

It was an incredibly hot day, 30 degrees plus so i had to limit my boost to just 1BAR or risk a meltdown.

During my time there i did a lap with an R1 riden by an experienced biker round the ring, Joerund filmed the whole lap.

This turned out to be my fastest timed lap to date, an 8 mins 10 seconds BTG time. Considering i was way down on power with my 1 BAR limit plus i actually lost my boost control at 3 miles to go so down to just 0.5BAR (damn wire came off) i am seriously pleased with the lap time set.

It's safe to say that on this lap the bike was faster overall. It's interesting to see where i kill it though, in the medium/slow corners i just disapear, on the fast stuff the bike is king. Interesting viewing for the Bike V Car debate junkies.

The file is huge, 39 MB, i think diferent formats will be up soon though. To download follow the instructions below.

Go to
Old 01 August 2001, 01:01 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

What was the Atom like? How did it compare 2 the westie?
Old 01 August 2001, 02:08 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

BTW,

That clarkson video was an absolute conspiracy! Thruxton is a very fast track where an R1 would be at its best compared to a car.

Evo did a test at croft I think and the R1 was nearly 10 seconds a lap faster than a Porsche 911 turbo, TVR Cerbera etc. A caterham style car was the only one to beat the bike (by less than a second I believe).
Old 01 August 2001, 02:16 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

What is a good lap time for a standard Scooby ??
Old 01 August 2001, 02:29 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Joerunds own comments from the ringers list.

I'll reply to the others later.

Saturday, I met John Feldstead, and we decided to do a video lap where I
would (try to) follow his Westfield around the Ring. We both started out on
cold tires, but it didn't seem to upset the Westie much. After a couple of
corners, the Westie had a 50 meter advantage, and when we reached
Hocheichen, that distance beetween us had increased even further. It was
great fun to see how the little car could be thrown around the sharp bends
like nothing else. And I mean nothing else - never have I seen a car being
able to take the Hohenrain chicane at such speed. I was laughing inside my
helmet while I was struggling not to loose too much ground...

Now, all of the above was expected, but I was curious to see the difference
betweeen the car and the bike in the faster corners. Entering the righthand
corner at Flugplatz, it was obvious that the huge advantage the car had
gone. I could easily keep up with the Westie, I actually had to back off a
little. At the lefthander after/at Scwedenkreuz, I had to brake hard again
to keep a proper distance between the car and the bike, but once we entered
Arememberg the Westie ****ed off again. I then had to gas the bike really
hard down Fuchsröhre to make up for what I lost through that single curve.
In the fast left and right cirners after Fuchsröhre, the bike obviously had
the edge, but the Westie left me for dead around Adenauer Forst....

It continued like this through the whole lap. The bike being faster in the
high(er) speed corners, the car destroying the bike in the sharp ones. The
only place I remember the car and bike to be pretty even, was from Hohe Acht
down to Eschbach, and through parts of Pflanzgarten. All in all it was a
great lap, and I had a lot of fun. I hope you enjoyed it too John.
Old 01 August 2001, 02:43 PM
dustbin hoffman
Scooby Regular

Was that the speedometer on the bottom left hand corner of the screen? Was that in mph, cos it seemed a bit quick for kmph?

I would've expected maximum speeds of around 160, but the digital read 200+ on several occasions?
Old 01 August 2001, 03:25 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

johnfelstead...
/me bows to your superb R1 skillz.. How about a backy some time

btw jk bad enough on the back of my m8s CBF
Old 01 August 2001, 03:52 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dizzy:
<B>Wow cool video =]

er.. Theres no way a scoob would beat an R1 anywhere except maybee on the snow or RAC Rally =] /me prepares 2 be flamed.[/quote]

Having seen 2 R1s caught and then left behind by a 19 year old Mini on a narrow twisty single track Scottish mountain pass last weekend, I have to disagree. Admittedly it was downhill and the Mini driver was handbrake turning and generally driving like a bit of a nutter, but I think it goes to show that the driver/road combination is much more important than the machinery involved.
Old 01 August 2001, 04:46 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Great vid John, the IT guy said I have set a nr=ew record for file download, its 91 K !High res option, dont think I'll mail it to anyone !
Andyp
Old 01 August 2001, 04:53 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Well John,

If thats Joerunds comments you really have got a wee beasty of a car havent you.....

Guess its Westy 1 : R1 1. Great match , no clear winner after 8 mins!!!

Vid sounds great now ive played it through the hi-fi!!!

Have you thought of trying it the other way round - you filming him. Now that would be worth watching!!!

Jza
Old 01 August 2001, 05:07 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

sounds weeeekeeeed john

suprised u had anytime/ at all to get that sticker for me!

im 4 megs thru downloading the mamba 92 mb thing...

ill go home now and come back to work tomorow to see it

cheers

rw
Old 01 August 2001, 05:36 PM
jse
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jza:
<B>Well John,

Have you thought of trying it the other way round - you filming him. Now that would be worth watching!!!

Jza[/quote]

That would be boring, I'd be in the pits before he went under the gantry

Guys, the number of downloads coming from this board was almost killing my server. 700 downloads during the last 24 hours, I could hardly believe it

[This message has been edited by jse (edited 01 August 2001).]
Old 02 August 2001, 10:09 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

John I`m not going anywhere near your ring mate
Old 02 August 2001, 12:09 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>don't know who is the biggest nutter you or the Biker.
Looking forward to seeing you brake the sub 8 minute lap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do, me for sure this weekend, I had to be at MIRA, it would have been rude not too.
Shouldn’t be much longer now to go sub 8 mins. I might make an aero screen, that’s instant sub 8’s without trying.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Has Simon De Nutter done the Ring ? I'd love to see you guys head to head there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nope, I think the place scares Si a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Nice to see you finally admitting defeat to a biker.
The worst thing is John I can make most blokes on R1`s look tossers on a 750 so I would probably hammer you even further down the pile <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bring it on Birdy, I will quite hapily educate you round the ring m8.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> What engine is in the westie? (I've got a poor little xflow in mine)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My westie is one of the very rare Zei220’s. It uses a Cosworth Turbo engine, produces 330BHP, I had it down at 270BHP on this lap though as the charge temps were through the roof.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> What was the Atom like? How did it compare 2 the westie?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Atom is a lot of fun. Needs much more power to be a match for my westie. It’s a very diferent car to drive, needs a totally diferent driving style as being rear engined you cant back off mid corner to the same degree or you will spin. It works far better using the slow in fast out aproach to corners. Its fun in the tight stuff in particular as you can use the weight distribution to get the back end out quite easily then hold it on the power. I grew up rallying Imps so this kind of layout feels quite natural to me. Jon’s car needs some setup mods to make it work properly at the ring. I think I could get that car much faster if I spent a day setting the geometries up, it’s too unstable to be fast right now, that’s easily fixed though with adjustments.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> What is a good lap time for a standard Scooby ??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Anything under 9 minutes in any car is going pretty quickly. Stef is flying round there but his car isnt standard having AP’s and a PPP plus FMI and eibach springs. His fastest is 8:17 I believe which is mental in a subaru.
Most standard scoobs are around 9:30ish I think. The time is more about knowing the track and having a decent level of ability than the car itself. It’s a unique place, nothing like a UK track.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Was that the speedometer on the bottom left hand corner of the screen? Was that in mph, cos it seemed a bit quick for kmph?
I would've expected maximum speeds of around 160, but the digital read 200+ on several occasions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its his speed in KMPH, he is hitting 247kmph at times, that’s 153MPH. That is a genuine speed, the ring is that fast. I believe he hits 170MPH when a westie isnt in the way on the really fast sections.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> johnfelstead...
me bows to your superb R1 skillz.. How about a backy some time
btw jk bad enough on the back of my m8s CBF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are being true to your name dizzy, I am in the car m8. LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> If thats Joerunds comments you really have got a wee beasty of a car havent you..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, it’s a bit quick.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Well John,

Jza

That would be boring, I'd be in the pits before he went under the gantry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL Slight exageration there.
Following Joerund would be a right laugh I would think. He doesn’t hang about.

Seems your video server is down, wonder why? LOL
Scoobynet is the daddy.

[This message has been edited by johnfelstead (edited 02 August 2001).]
Old 02 August 2001, 04:37 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

At one point the biker reaches 278kph when riding along on his own. When behind the car at the same point he only got to 240kph. All the way round you can see him hanging back, rarely going far above 10,000rpm. The bike had loads of reservs left as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: Westfield v R1 at the Nurburgring - full lap on video