Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be careful out there.........

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2002, 02:06 PM
spender
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This doesn't apply as much to us Scooby owners but having just watched a bloke apply too much throttle coming off a roundabout in front of me in the wet, losing it completely and writing off his MR2 against a parked Transit (he wasn't hurt)just remember that after all the dry weather we've had, a little shower makes the road very slippery.

Spender
Old 07 September 2002, 12:26 PM
Silver-Bullet
Scooby Regular

Not in a Evo with eagle F1's
Old 07 September 2002, 01:25 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm, Not in an Evo with... why? are they invincible then?

What goes around comes around....and its true!

Thanks for the reminder
Old 07 September 2002, 02:42 PM
Mark Asylum
Scooby Newbie

MR2s notoriously snappy in the wet...

But no one is invincible. And these cars look better in one piece.

Old 07 September 2002, 02:45 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

ouch
Old 07 September 2002, 03:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I like silver's reply, no doubt evo's are even grippier on ice
It doesnt matter what road, what car, if the grip level on the surface is non-existant your going to be heading hedgeways, simple as that.

Tony
Old 07 September 2002, 03:08 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

'Tis true, when it's been dry for a while, and then it rains a bit, the road is at it's most slippery with the agitation of all that oil, dust and muck that has slowly built up
Old 07 September 2002, 05:45 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Angry

'Not in an Evo with F1's'

Fool [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

A fair few people on here know a guy who came off a wet round about in his EVO on S02's...way better than the F1 IMO... and guess what, he ended up clouting the kurb sideways and sweeping both wheels under his car...total write off...thankfully he was fine and no one else was involved

NEVER EVER assume that because your car has amazing levels of grip that the road surface has too. After a long, warm, dry spell the road tar often gets a little soft. When it suddenly rains you end up with a nice greasy elmusion all over the road...I've been caught out, many of my friends have been caught out and unless you are aware of these little things so will you...and I doubt that you will be as lucky as some of us if you go round thinking your invincible because you drive a whatever on the 'best' tyres around
Old 07 September 2002, 05:46 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

ROFLMAO - not in an EVO wiv F1's hehehehehe that'll entertain me for ages
Old 07 September 2002, 08:08 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

That's almost as bad a comment as the one made by the BMW driver that plowed into the back of me.
"But I've got ABS"
Old 07 September 2002, 08:58 PM
ChrisB

Wink

I hear the Evo 8 is having an APC fitted...

The Anti Physics Controller allows Evo's to ignore the laws of physics and maintain grip in situations where other cars would have spun or crashed.
Old 07 September 2002, 09:20 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Cool

Apparantly, the Xtreme version will have variable APC, with a dial next to the dash, with "Greasy Road", "Ice", and "Thin Air" settings. The last is for just in case the driver is careless enough to drive off a cliff.

So you can only spin a car if it hasn't got good grip? Perhaps someone should mention that to those Formula 1 people, as they still cope. Rumour has it that the 2002 Ferrari, when driven by Micael Schumacher, can almost keep up with an EVO through the twisties
Old 07 September 2002, 09:26 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

roflmfao
Si
Old 07 September 2002, 09:36 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Evo's spin... trust me!
Old 08 September 2002, 11:29 AM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

I had an MR2 before the Scoob and although they are good fun, if you know what your doing, they are bloody dangerous at the first sight of dampness.

Mine spun on a roundabout without me accelerating, braking or anything else. Unless you have perfect tyres they are a nightmare in the wet.

PP
Old 08 September 2002, 11:37 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Question

Mine spun on a roundabout
Eeer shouldn't that be "I spun mine on a roundabout" ??
Old 10 September 2002, 10:27 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Yes, slippery surfaces ... interesting topic. Ask any experienced motorcyclist.

Comments in the pub like "wrote my car off last night - on black ice you see - so I had no chance". Even worse when the other party agrees !! What's the difference between "BLACK" and "WHITE" Ice? Seat of the pants drivers know the difference .... blindfolded!

Comments like "but I've got ABS" (see post above) and many of a similar nature are oh so typical of many of today's cushioned against reality drivers .... may just as well say because I have ABS, airbags and side impact protection, I dont need to drive as safely as you .... DOH!

Like many other drivers, I'm NOT an easy passenger when driven about by other drivers, even experienced ones. There are exceptions to this because some drivers demonstrate to me within a short distance that they have that extra degree of awareness which immediately puts me at ease. Invariably, these "at ease" drivers have spent some time on two wheels - motorcycles - and the fact that having survived on UK roads on those two wheels means that they've considerable "road nouse" otherwise they would not be around at all.

A few winters ago, following one of those superb clear VERY cold nights there was a freak shower just before the fine winter sun came up. This rain immediately froze solid as soon it hit the ground. Those roads where I live soon became the most icy I've ever experienced. Cars were sliding about everywhere at all speeds. Some drivers having scared themselves within a few metres of leaving their house parked up and walked it was so bad. Cars were abandonned everywhere. I had to get to work that day and kept my FWD only car going on "tip toes" hoping that nobody else would lose their car in my direction. A nearly new 5 series did just that but I avoided it and came to a standstill to observe him desperately trying to gain adhesion but failed and slid sideways down the camber at very slow speed and gently tipped into the ditch. I bet things like "Ultimate driving machine, perfect balance" and all the other stuff in the new car brochures were meaningless that day for many drivers. On arrival to work I did thank lady luck for keeping an eye on me that morning. Many drivers that day discovered that their cars were not as good as they thought they were ... ))

From my observations over a good many years, drivers with both two and four wheel experience often have that extra degree of awareness often lacking in those without any two wheel road experience.

I think it would be beneficial if all drivers had to undertake and gain some powered two wheel experience as part of the process of qualifying for a full drivers licence ... never happen of course. What do others think. Or, have I got it all wrong?
Old 10 September 2002, 11:48 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

The ieda of driving with only two wheels terrifies me

However I think you're on the right lines - something like a skid pan courses etc... would benefit most drivers. There's plenty of other suggestions to go at as well.

I've seen some very good HGV drivers out there as well - that's another good bit of road experience.
Old 10 September 2002, 11:56 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

PuppyPower

I have an MY02 WRX and a 1987 MR2 AW11. The MR2 is a serious roundabout hooligan!! Never drive it without 4mm of tread. Sobering thought to spin the car and look at the headlights of the car behind. This is what prompted me to change....MR2 still in the garage.. See the many posts from Saxo Boy about small light cars.

Doc Jock, where's your practice M8 ?

Midlife...
Old 11 September 2002, 12:05 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

Do you remember the Volvo adverts from a while back.
Went something along the lines of hurtling down a country lane, it's dark but you're ok because you have SIPS, ABS and Airbags.

Drivers that rely on traction control, ABS etc to get them out of trouble are a nightmare