Please help me indentify my noise ...

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2001, 11:48 AM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi All,

My car, an MY99 UK 4 door turbo, has been suffering from a very annoying noise for the past couple of months.

Car was perfect when I bough it second hand, and the noise only started a couple of months later.

It is very difficult to describe. My best go is that it sounds like wind blowing through a hollow pipe, or something flapping / vibrating as wind blows through it.

I originally thought it might be a problem with shocks / springs, as it sounded sort of 'bouncy' or 'rubbery' rather than metallic. Also, the sound is not rotational, and does not increase in frequency as either the speed of the car or engine revs increases. Also, if I slip the gearbox into neutral whilst the sounds is occuring, then it continues without change.

I can hear the noise at 30mph in town, and also it gets quite load at 80+ on the motorway.

It does appear to get louder on bumpier roads.

This is not just tyre noise. I had the noise on the original 16" RE-10s and it is still there with my 17" Toyos, it actually sounds louder now, as there is LESS tyre noise Not that it is loud enought to be heard over the SS bacbox.

I have had two dealers and one independant look at this, but the two dealers could 'not hear it', and I couldn't replicate it when I had the mechanic from AWD with me.

Any suggestions. Please.

Thanks,

Andrew.
Old 30 July 2001, 01:07 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Question

Dunno, but there were reports of a common fault on slightly eartlier cars that sounded like someone blowing over an empty bottle, you know like those stone jar blowers in old Dixeland.

I think it appears in the faq on
Old 30 July 2001, 01:21 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I sympathise with you mate. Tracking noises down is a pain in the bum, and describing them is even worse!

Don't know if you're getting the same noise as I got/get. Mine was a roaring/buzzing noise that was noticeable over 85/90 mph. Didn't relate to engine revs etc.

I thought it had to be some trim vibrating somewhere in the breeze and looked for all sorts of loose bits - undertray, front grille etc.

Eventualy found that the plastic scuttle/grille at the base of the windscreen that goes round the wipers only had one of the 9 fixing clips in under the bonnet!!

These clips also hold in the rubber seal that the back of the bonnet closes on. All in all, despite the fact that the bonnet held it in place when closed, there was still enough loose to rattle.

Since replacing the clips the buzz now starts around 100/105 - which I obviously never do!

Was told by my dealer on Saturday that the vertical seals on the front screen can sometimes get a little loose and buzz (may be what mine's doing), but as the screen's bonded it's a pig to fix unless you are getting a replacement screen!

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 30 July 2001, 01:28 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

I occasionally had similar noises but put it down as being cross winds against the bonnet scoop.

Disco
Old 30 July 2001, 01:31 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Barry,

Nah mate, don't thinks its the blow off valve. Doesn't really sound like an engine noise, I think Steve might be closer to the mark.

Steve,

Thanks for the hints.

I'll get in and try anything else that might be loose when I get home tonight.

Disco,

I have to admit that it does appear to be worse in high wind situations, but I can also get the sound (usually at a lower volume) at 30mph in nil wind

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Andrew.
Old 30 July 2001, 01:37 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

at 30mph there is some wind, its called wind resistence, you will be driving in to it.
Old 30 July 2001, 06:50 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Long shot, but my drivers mirror produces a sound which tallies with your description. Can't hear much with the window shut but when open sounds like pan pipes!