Sponsored by:

Sales section - tossers

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2001, 12:53 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I haven't had his done to me but the amount of times someone is trying to sell something, only to have some tosser butting in with "joking aren't you - way too much"
Usually when they are not even interested in buying the product!

If you want to let someone kow your opinion on a price, a simple email to them from their profile would do it. It's not very helpful to braodcast your thoughts to the whole BBS! There are some cases where its valid but generally a price someone chooses is their business.

Just my thoughts, anyone agree / had this done? Should moderators be stepping in?

MB
Old 26 July 2001, 12:55 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Take it youve got a V4 type R then?
Old 26 July 2001, 01:40 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The private section has adverts from a lot of 'scooby newbies' who presumably just want a free way to flog their car! Fair enough but don't waste time with inflated prices... Look how quickly that Type R owner dropped the price to £13k from £15k when someone mentioned the over pricing...

I think there is a case to be made for not bashing each others residuals, but when people are advertising there cars at dearer prices than dealers then perhaps a little bit of discussion is required!

Jon
Old 26 July 2001, 01:43 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DazW:
<B>Take it youve got a V4 type R then? [/quote]

Daz - I wish! I wasn't referring to that post as it was more gently dealt with than most.

Polar - fair point.

[This message has been edited by bennetm (edited 26 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bennetm (edited 26 July 2001).]
Old 26 July 2001, 01:47 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Post a forsale on a public forum then you need to accept comment. If you don't want the feedback then don't post. Thats the joy of the internet.....

Regards
Cammy
Old 26 July 2001, 02:07 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I don't agree. You aren't posting a 'For Sale' post because you want a discussion about it. You are posting it because you want to quickly sell something and when you get muppets jumping on the post slagging down the product saying how overpriced it is, then I'm sorry but your not welcome.

I lost a sale because of this. Its not funny, but very irritating.

If I wanted an opinion on a price then I would say 'I am looking for opinions on price'.

People need to think b4 they speak.

Cem
Old 26 July 2001, 02:20 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blow Dog:
<B>I don't agree. You aren't posting a 'For Sale' post because you want a discussion about it. You are posting it because you want to quickly sell something and when you get muppets jumping on the post slagging down the product saying how overpriced it is, then I'm sorry but your not welcome.

I lost a sale because of this. Its not funny, but very irritating.

If I wanted an opinion on a price then I would say 'I am looking for opinions on price'.

People need to think b4 they speak.

Cem[/quote]

Or alternatively they could place an add in a paper/car mag and not get the comments - or indeed any buyers at all - but this COSTS.

If you want to sell something on here you have to accept that the "COST" is that people will have comments to make about Price/Usefulness/My mate had a better one/you dont wanna do that.

People can sell something here that they probably wouldn't find a market for elsewhere - so its a pretty good forum I say.

How may "Brembo Disk Sets for Impreza IV" do you see at your local Sunday Market??? And if you did how many punters would you find. There is an excellent and pretty unique target market for all of us to aim at - a marketers dream in fact.

And you dont have to pay Simon DB any commission for use of his facilities!!! Bargain!!!

All part of the fun of the open market i'm afraid Cem. Nothings "free" in this world.

So how is the sale of your very well advertised (on this site at least) Evo 6 going... ???

Jza

[This message has been edited by Jza (edited 26 July 2001).]
Old 26 July 2001, 02:36 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Jza,

I still disagree, whats the point in syaing "thats too much" if you're not even interested in buying it. If it bothers someone that much, an email to the person is more appropriate than costing the seller a sale by plastering it on the BBS. Obviously this doesn't apply to other forums as they are for discussion.

MB

Old 26 July 2001, 02:40 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Just don't post the price!

Post the details of whatever you are selling and invite all interested parties to contact you by e-mail and negotiate with them individually, off line.

If they are not happy with the price it is very unlikey that they'll go back to your post and cr@p on you. Unless they are really sad

PS. The above relates to a Seller's point of view. From a Buyer's perspective any feedback on price is very useful of course...
Old 26 July 2001, 02:42 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

What reputation would it get this BB if somebody bought a car at an over-inflated price, and realized it later. I know it wouldn't be Simon DB's/Scoobynet's fault, but there would be an association.

I wouldn't mind so much, but the people posting cars for sale seem to always have single-digit post counts. I don't see this board as a forum for trying to rip off fellow Scoob owners.

Rant over
Old 26 July 2001, 02:45 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I'm with Cem on this one - if the price is too high, no-one will buy it....or interested parties will haggle via email.

No-one's damaged, hurt or ripped off.

Whenever I sell a car, I always ask more than I want. That allows a bit of bargaining...or a nice surprise sometimes If I don't get a response, I drop the price.

Someone jumping in and lunching your sale is not big or clever (imho ). An item's saleable value is what someone will pay for it.

It's interesting to note how many "Wow! That's way *too* cheap" comments are made!

Email would be a better response if you feel the information is of value to the seller.

All imho
Richard
Old 26 July 2001, 02:45 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Question

But what if the buyer is a newbie or unsure of the market. They may end up paying an inflated price. I agree it shouldn't be done in a "your kidding" type way , but maybe if it is done more constructively it would help the buyer. How many times have you brought something in Dixons only to find it 10-20% cheaper elsewhere. Would you as a buyer welcome somebody telling you this before you buy ?

As a seller I wouldn't mind being told I was over price. It would my choice to carry on or not. The price will always be achieved if somebody wants to pay it !

Dave.
Old 26 July 2001, 02:50 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I think if evidence of a cheaper price can be given (like a link to a website selling similar), then fair play.

But to just say "I've seen them cheaper elsewhere." and destroy a potential sale is a bit crap.
Old 26 July 2001, 02:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Take, for example, this thread: [link deleted, price has been reduced and the balance of this board's opinion is that we shouldn't comment on price]

The seller makes no mention of the fact that the car is an EU import. If the seller thinks it is a good price for an EU import, then why not state it in the original advert? I don't want to see someone get ripped off buying an import when they thought they were getting a UK car, particularly if they may be a newbie and trust the opinions of people on this BB. I know I did when I was buying.

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 27 July 2001).]
Old 26 July 2001, 02:55 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
deepest apologies for not having time to read the whole of this thread...

but I have to say I agree with the first post.

It is just common decency to email the person directly (If you were trying to be helpful to them) rather than harm their chance of selling their item (there could be a very important reason why they need to sell it, and the price could be a reflection of something you don't know about).

As always I will go with the majority as that's what I'm here to do, but I would think that moderation may be justified in this instance.

Maybe we could have a show of hands?

Cheers

Simon
Old 26 July 2001, 02:56 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Carl

But would you have bought this car as a newbie? Or would you have asked a few more questions first...like, "where'd you buy it?".

Richard
Old 26 July 2001, 02:58 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Don't know -- I nearly bought an import through an agency for 17k with no aircon, as it was so much cheaper than a new UK model. However, a bit of advice from the people on here and the importingimprezas mailing list and I picked up one for 16k with aircon direct from a dealer in Holland.
Old 26 July 2001, 02:59 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

I sold my car at the same price that it was advertised at on here!

Having said that, there are a number of people who seem to offer their derogatory "opinions" on the kit that others have for sale.

Matt
Old 26 July 2001, 03:07 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Products are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Just because someone has seen, or bought a product at a particular price, doesn't mean that is now the going rate.

How anyone buying something from the for sales forum, is going to get "ripped off", is beyond me. With the number of cars being offered, it's a buyers market, and if someone asks too much, he just won't get any interest.

As for this continual rubbish I keep hearing about taking advantage of a free service, etc', ask SDB if he's worried about the number of hits the sites take, or if he'd like double the hits. Don't you guys know how sites make their money ???? or why companies choose a site to advertise on...

Mark.
Old 26 July 2001, 03:13 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

This was an unfortunate post I had started which ended up being locked by my request:

(site's a bit slow at the moment, so persevere)
Old 26 July 2001, 03:44 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

And what do you do if the seller has no email address in their profile?
Old 26 July 2001, 03:49 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree with the title and vote that the people making these posts are to55ers. Value for money is subjective and a seller is entitled to ask what he wants. Most of these people have chips on their shoulders and are jealous of the money saved by parallel importers.
Old 26 July 2001, 04:00 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Look, I do feel quite strongly about this and don't want to see anyone get ripped off. However, I used to be in a union so if the consensus is against me I will retract whatever I have said.

Can't say fairer than that?

(BTW I'm certainly not jealous of parallel importers -- I am one )

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 26 July 2001).]
Old 26 July 2001, 04:02 PM
SteveYeowart
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yeah and maybe some of those newbies trying to sell their cars are old hands whose old names don't work for some reason!!!!!!

polarbearit sorry took that kinda personal!!!!
Old 26 July 2001, 04:39 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cem,

Thats the sort of post I was on about. Not constructive at all.

Old 26 July 2001, 04:55 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

at the end of the day u chumps need to see it like a shop, u go in u like the price u buy it you dont then u fvck off. About as simple as that really.

no debate required.

rw
Old 26 July 2001, 05:03 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Good thread chaps!

Simon maybe in the Posting profile people can have a choice to lock the thread and re-open it when they want to push it to the top?

A thread sounding something like "STI For Sale 12K, Please email me"?

This way people have the choice if they want replies on a thread or if they want to use it as a normal car ad where others can only view it and email or call the person who's selling it?

Just an idea.

Harj...
Old 27 July 2001, 12:00 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SteveYeowart:
<B>Yeah and maybe some of those newbies trying to sell their cars are old hands whose old names don't work for some reason!!!!!!

polarbearit sorry took that kinda personal!!!![/quote]

Appologies, no offence meant, what gets me is the over priced ads on scoobynet often by dealers who have only registered to try and sell their cars for more than normally available on the open market.

I have lost more money on my car than I'd hoped, I accept this and when it is time to sell I will price it similarly to other cars for sale on Autotrader etc, not try to rip off people off on the BBS.

Jon

[Edited to remove MY2000 example as owner has dropped the price in line with information on the BBS]

[This message has been edited by polarbearit (edited 27 July 2001).]
Old 27 July 2001, 02:12 AM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Lots of god points made above guys.

Cem,

Having read the thread about your TME, you have changed my opinion on this topic. I was VERY pi$$ed off when i read what some of those guys posted about your car. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone on this site. I don't think its of any value to anyone if some idiot (who probably doesn't want what u are selling) thinks he will be Mr Big and tries to put your product down.

I think if a buyer is serious about their purchase, they will look up Autotrader, dealers, papers, Parker's Guide etc and find out what a good price is for themselves. Then they can try to find a car that they feel is good value, without needing "help" from "do-gooders" that say you are ripping someone off.

All IMHO of course.

Kos
Old 27 July 2001, 08:11 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Well against opinion, I must say Im all for quoting what I would be willing to pay.

If I see 2 items 1 fairly priced and the other overpriced (IMHO) I will email the fairly priced one with an offer (either full price or close) I would post on the board about the overpriced one.

How many times do you see threads amended due to somepointing out that someone is asking virtually the same price for an item as is available elsewhere.

If you want to moderate this then the person who is selling the item should ask the moderator to remove the offending thread, but this should be highlighted as to why its been removed.

robski

Quick Reply: Sales section - tossers