Cameras on the A43

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2001, 12:05 AM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Laurence,
Got flashed by the same camera about 2 months ago, just as I was blitzing a 911 Turbo at the start of the twintrack.

I called the central ticket office for the area, gave them my reg No . . . . and, they told me that I wasn`t going to be issued with a ticket!

So givem a ring and keep yr fingers crossed,

Cheers

SCOOP
Old 27 July 2001, 12:33 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I nearly got caught by this camera not long after they opened the re-built d/c. It does seem on first sight to be a stupid place to put a speed camera. The only bit of d/c for miles, the only safe place you can pass slow moving lorries.

Then I thought that maybe it's there because of the entrance to the Green Man Pub? Perhaps they are trying to make sure that people do not travel too quickly at this juction?

Just my thoughts...
Old 27 July 2001, 12:53 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

That bit of the A43 has a horrendous incident record. People sit behing trucks for 10miles - then a tiny bit of Dual carriage way appears so everyone canes it to get by.

Problem is the entrance to the pub is concealed at the bottom - so cars get taken out as they pull out!!!

Jza
Old 27 July 2001, 11:44 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I was flashed by a blue front facing camera on the A43 this morning. It was at the side of a tiny dual carriageway stretch after Silverstone.

Now I have to assume that the points will be in the post (indicated 62) but two questions:

1.. Why did it flash? I thought these things used infra-red so as not to distract the driver. I spent the next ten minutes on an adrenalin high!
2.. A 40mph limit is shown both sides of Silverstone (I passed some other of these cameras without getting flashed) but then it stops. The dual carriageway is indicated as 1/2 mile away followed by another 40mph sign at the end, what is the limit on this piece of road?

Thanks a lot

Laurence
(currently with clean license )
Old 27 July 2001, 11:47 AM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Angry

** RANT ON **

Why is it Ok to try and confuse drivers by not posting the lower speed limit around this piece of dual carriageway. I had spend the last 10 miles or so following a slow car and trailer at 30-35mph and so on seeing the dual-carriageway sign was just looking forward to passing it. It's a clear piece of improved road with clear views. Surely having a camera here is proof of the police revenue raising tactics if nothing else is!!!

** RANT OFF **
Old 27 July 2001, 11:49 AM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Question

If its the section of dual carriageway by the Green Man pub, this is national speed limit, which for dual carriageway is 70mph therefore you should be ok if you were doing 62mph. I too assumed these were infra-red and therefore a flash is a bit of a mystery!
Old 27 July 2001, 05:17 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

sorry mate there is no way those cameras flash may have been a reflection but they do not have a flash built into them. Truvelo are tripped by the three cables built into the road surface infront of the camera( Truvelo= true velocity) Have to agree the siting is not good at the start of the D/C why not change the layout of the exits from the pub if there is an accident problem

Trending Topics

Old 27 July 2001, 06:03 PM
lpitt
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well the camera definitely flashed me this morning. That's why I'm confused. Just to say what it looked like:

Blue pole with box on top. Two lenses facing me, one with reddish tint on it.

The flash was pretty bright and at the time the sun was not properly up so it couldn't be a reflection. A reflection would just catch your eye, this was like a camera going off.

I'm pretty much assuming that I'll get a ticket (more money for the police coffers) but just want to know what caught me as like you say the TruVelo cameras don't flash.

I spent ages on speedtraps.co.uk and ukspeedtraps.co.uk before making this post.

Laurence