Sponsored by:

Japanese and Dubai Police.

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2001, 12:10 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

It does seem a bit much that (as usual) our police force far from protecting our citizens is trying to reposess cars bought in good faith whereas uk cars stolen and shipped abroad are considered 'lost'.
Old 26 July 2001, 07:45 AM
Luke
BANNED

There was no mention last night about the Japanese Police or Insurance firms dealing with the promlem in Dubai.

Surly this would be the best way of dealing with the problem.
But I think its like the Police here." Bit scared of the Big fish.....)

Does anyone have the E-mail/fax address for the Dubai Police or Transport Minister/Embassy. etc. You could always vent your anger at them. Maybe get the British Motoring press to assist. If they come under a lot of flack it might help matters for the future.
Old 26 July 2001, 08:29 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I agree. A couple of things about this that really got me...

Firstly, were the situation reversed, would the Japanese Police devote valuable manpower and facilities resources to the collection, storage, auction and funds transfer back to the UK insurance companies... who, if they had insisted on decent security being installed on the vehicle, would not have a problem in the first place.

Secondly, my next door neighbour is a sergeant in Essex Traffic Police (he's an "old school" copper and a thoroughly good bloke). The amount of stolen cars that Essex Police recover from Harwich and Tilbury docks is quite unbelievable. This is a worldwide problem, not just a UK/Dubai/Japan problem.

Thirdly, The trade could be stopped instantly if the Dubai authorities went and confiscated the tens of thousands of cars sitting at Dubai Free Trade Zone. I'm sure it would move somewhere else, but it would certainly be a big blow to the people behind this trade.

Pete
Old 26 July 2001, 10:54 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

The other option would be for the Irish/uk authorities not to allow a car delivering cars that has come from Dubai to dock & unload in any of there ports.

I'm sure the ducai authorities would soon start looking at it then if they could send the cars anywhere.