Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you think you would pass the driving test today??

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2001, 12:03 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIMON....I would have no problem passing an advanced or track driving test.....I'm talking about the: hands-have-to-move-along the-steering-wheel-sir, the-indicator-went-on-too-late-sir, what-sign-is-that-sir, your-left-foot-is-not-for-braking-sir, tell-us-all-the intersection-rules-from-1920-sir, etc etc etc that type of driving test!!! What do you think, I should go with the BM or with the Elise111S? I'm tempted, given that I'll probably fail anyway, at least I can have some fun at the tester's expense?

wall
Old 25 July 2001, 12:55 AM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

I had to sit a US driving test (theoretical and practical) when I lived out there for a couple of years. Terrifying! And then it all went out of the window in the gritty reality of driving in Manhattan: V6 taxis with bald tyres, feet of snow, potholes the size of opencast mines, rollerbladers doing 30mph down Broadway. Mmm, that was driving...

My advice is just do everything really slowly. But then again you're talking about the Italian driving test here.... (Cue stereotypes)
Old 25 July 2001, 08:32 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Red face

Well, I've driven for 12 years, have done 20+ track days, owned STIs and Elises and driven anything from Ferraris to Formula Fords...BUT...I've been residing in Italy for 1 year now and have to do the local test tomorro, as my Australian license is no longer valid. I think I will fail!!!! Half the signs
ules are completely obscure (there goes the theory test), and I doubt I can drive as they demand (eg move hands across wheel when turning etc) so there goes the practice one!!!! I will be license-less! Can I convert my Aussie license to an EU one in the UK? Or am I destined for driving school at 30 and some weeks off the road!!!!!!!!!!!

a very sad and worried wall

[This message has been edited by wall (edited 25 July 2001).]
Old 25 July 2001, 09:57 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

You've gotta be joking havent you? I dread the day they introduce compulsary re-tests. Lets face it its only a matter of time innit? (prolly at 100 squid a pop too )
I can see it now.
"Right then Mr. boy, If you could please execute a turn in the road"
"No prob" *astraboy charges toward the kerb, dips the clutch, revs the cossie to 6 grand, dumps the clutch, lighting up both wheels, slewing the car round on a sixpence, leaving an inch of rubber on the road*
"how was that?"
"Gibber gibber"
astraboy.

[This message has been edited by astraboy (edited 25 July 2001).]
Old 25 July 2001, 10:05 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

well, it's bloody Australia's fault...they have state licenses rather than national ones, and so the other countries do not recognize it and make you do the test if you are a resident!! Somebody can come from Zambia to the EU and get their licence converted over the counter, never mind they've been in a car twice. But if you are from Australia you can drive on the international license for a year and then you have to the the bloody test. Mind you, so the law is saying that I cannot drive, yet the let me be on their roads for 12 months???? Ain't I a danger then. Bloody stupid.
I hear that UK recognizes all connonwealth licenses, so if I fail I might come over for a few weeks, get my over the counter conversion to a UK license, and then come back to Italy with my EU license Still, expensive, painful, I'll have to give a bs UK address (any friend will do I guess)....

21 hours to go to the test
Old 25 July 2001, 10:08 AM
ChrisB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by astraboy:
<B>You've gotta be joking havent you? I dread the day they introduce compulsary re-tests. Lets face it its only a matter of time innit? (prolly at 100 squid a pop too )
I can see it now.
"Right then Mr. boy, If you could please execute a turn in the road"
"No prob" *astraboy charges toward the kerb, dips the clutch, revs the cossie to 6 grand, dumps the clutch, lighting up both wheels, slewing the car round on a sixpence, leaving an inch of rubber on the road*
"how was that?"
"Gibber gibber"
astraboy.

[This message has been edited by astraboy (edited 25 July 2001).][/quote]

ROFL!
Old 25 July 2001, 11:22 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Does passing a C+E (HGV1) test a couple of months ago count? My big problem with tests is sticking to the speed limit. Apart from that, I reckon I could pass a car test now. Not in the Scoob thought. Would need a 2CV or something...

Forgot to mention I passed the car test in 1986. Also passed class C (HGV2) in 1995.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 25 July 2001).]
Old 25 July 2001, 11:27 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

I had my driving assessed against the Advanced Driving Institute standard the other week in South Wales in a Lotus Elise.... then in the afternoon we did some high performance stuff.

Excellent day of bespoke tuition (6 hours driving), booked through:
Old 25 July 2001, 11:44 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I think that I've probably picked up too many bad habbits to pass my test today.

Would like to go on advanced driving course though, mainly to show me the errors of my ways, plus might help with insurance as well.
Old 25 July 2001, 04:24 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I used to Live in Milan. Wot great driving that was. At night they used to turn off the traffic lights

If I had to I might just pass my test now (in something very small & gutless). Did some police driving scheme and the IOM but would have to keep all the bad habits in check

Ian

[This message has been edited by ian_sadler (edited 25 July 2001).]