Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are peoples views on the new ScoobyShop?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2002, 10:58 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those who have not seen it: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=126748

Obviously it isn't live yet, so cant comment on that, but I can comment on the idea of what Simon is doing.

I presume Simon is trying to make the biggest online shop for Subaru parts, don't get me wrong - I think this is in someways a good idea. But I believe it would of been better if it was separated from the ScoobyNet name. I have a feeling it will cause biased views on Snet towards the Shop suppliers, especially on the forums into what action would be taken.

I would like to know how the suppliers will take when the products are being question on Scoobynet? No doubt if such threads happen, these threads would be closed / deleted, as they could threaten to pull out from the "SNet Shop".

What are your views...?
Old 30 August 2002, 11:14 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Mod Mode Off

That's not quite as I see it.
1. It's not just for Subaru parts, its anything
2. The scoobynet connection is there for a reason. SN gets 18 million hits a month. That's a lot of exposure for potential vendors. SN also has a good profile with the media, magazines and motor sport. That is also a good reason to ave associatiation.
3. IMHO Threads will only be pulled if they contain potentially libelous comments about the supplier.
4. The Shop is, if you like a shopping mall. Your contract will be with the supplier, not Scoobynet. Therefore you would deal with it in the same way as you normally would.
5. There are bound to be very, very, rare instances where some suppliers threaten to pull out unless a certain thread is pulled. In response and again IMHO would you want such a company to either supply you or be linked to scoobynet. Also it would be daft of the company to pull out on a 'hissy fit' as they have more potential buisness via the SN Shop than just by a web presence/shop alone. I.e they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Mod Mode On

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 8/30/2002 11:20:15 AM]
Old 30 August 2002, 11:15 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Q. How can I save shedloads of dosh?

A. Buy a ScoobyNetPlus card?

Ermmmmmmm.....let me think (for all of 1 millisecond)

I'll think I will get one!!!

Scoobynet has never been biased against/for it's existing banner advertisers, so there will be no change of views for Scoobyshop.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 30 August 2002, 11:20 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

I'd be happy to pay for a card even if I'm not going to spend vast amounts of cash in the shop.

I think its a great idea and would happily pay even if just for the upkeep of the shop. It has clearly been well thought through and IMO will be an excellent resource for the community.
Old 30 August 2002, 11:40 AM
STI SPUD
Scooby Regular

My credit card is desperate for some exercise!!
Hurry up Hurry up Hurry up !!
Old 30 August 2002, 11:49 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What probably quite a few people will do is:

. browse shop, see what things they possibly want to buy
. calculate 5% min of price
. see if 25 quid can be saved, instantly, short term or mid term
. buy card ...

Question, will "non-card" people (lowlifes ) be able to see the potential discount when having a card ? Would make it easier to see if it's a VFM thing (if you want to look at it that way).
Old 30 August 2002, 11:53 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Good question theo. It'd be good for people with a plus card to see how much they saved, just so they can gloat.

The idea succeeds or fails on the number of vendors it gets. That's why IMHO we should all try and recruit companies, not just leave it up to Simon.

Think about the products you buy online and who you buy them from. Then try and talk them into signing up. You win because you get money off, they win because they'll get more revenue.
Old 30 August 2002, 11:58 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Question

Question 2 ...

Is this a UK only deal or is it possible for vendors outside of UK to step in ? Can make a world of difference IMHO.
Old 30 August 2002, 12:01 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Isn't this pretty much what POTN does?

Thing that concerns me is this:

Are products going to be restricted, ie, can 10 companies sell 10 of the same products? If there are say 10 companies selling the same thing, what will be the format when searching? Will it be alphabetical, latest listing etc?

Why should the Scoobynet card entitle at least a 5% discount - I'd assume there are a lot of companies out there working on quite fine margins, and if you take into account a monthly subscribtion fee from them, plus an intended guaranteed discount, is it worth their while from a profit point of view?

Is inclusion into the shop going to be a guarantee of safety/quality/service etc to Scoobynet regulars, or can any old Joe Bloggs come in? Will there be a code of conduct that has to be adherred to by the suppliers?

Will the banner ads still be present?

Can you get a parts supplier for Westfields please

Old 30 August 2002, 12:16 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Theo,
Both the RRP and the ScoobyNetPlus price be displayed for all to see.

As regards to the UK deal only.......
"If you can recruit 'em, we'll have 'em"

We already have NON-UK companies on board, so the more the merrier.

Craig,
There will be NO restriction on product types or qty's. Items will be returned back to the potential buyer, in order of relevance to the original keyword search, and then dependant on product specific enhancements.....ie. a product that has been designated as a "Premier Product", will appear higher in the return results than one of equal variables, but which is not a "Premier Product" etc etc.

The BasicVendor account is FREE, hence NO subscription. Scoobyshop will receive in association with Scoobynet, over 18 million hits a month.......For the cost of 5%, I call that damn good value for money.

How much does magazine advertising cost, with the same level of readership?

Regards,
Shaun.

Old 30 August 2002, 12:24 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks Shaun, that makes it a very good setup/deal with no what/ifs as far as the customers are concerned. Well thought out IMHO.

Will see what I can do re: furrin companies