Sponsored by:

** STI RELIABILITY ?????? **

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 11:18 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I am very keen to buy an STI, however having spent 8 weeks or so conversing on the BBS, I am left very concerned as to the apparent fragility of the engines.

This has been re-enforced by a number of dealers / tuners and members.

I really want one (driven a few) however an engine rebuild of £7k + is far from amusing....

The recent 'bigendno3' thread re-inforced my fears.

I would welcome some form of straw poll on this serious issue (people buying £15k cars can ill afford £7k engine rebuild bills)

How about everybody adding their opinion in the hope that some true light can be spread upon the seriousness of the problem?
Old 18 July 2001, 11:38 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased my car direct from japan (was a private sale with a local english professor) - the reason why I opted for this,was that I knew the background history of the car, unlike ones u get from auctions... I drive a subaru impreza wrx sti version iv type-r coupe - love it to bits!

I have just recently had some heavy modifications done from brd - and so far so good.

I havent had much go wrong with the car, apart from my rear bearings, and at the moment got a slight over-heating problem (have changed the thermostate - so hopefully this should solve the problem) apart from that, everything (touch wood) seems to be fine..
Old 18 July 2001, 01:13 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Griff.

I am not aware of the STi model being any more fragile than a UK spec car?
I was given to understand that piston slap and big end failure is as likely/unlikely on both incarnations.

Some early STi5 piston failures were attributed to running them on 95RON.
This is the key to it really; I use 97Ron + octane booster and everything's fine.
Sensible maintenance and regular servicing should ensure peace of mind.

I have an STi4 and like Christian, am well pleased with the performance and standard specification of the car (interior/exterior appointments as well as engine spec).
To be honest, having driven a UK and STi back to back at purchase time, I just had to have the STi, no comparison for me.

Neil.
Old 18 July 2001, 01:16 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I've had one for 2.5 years now, I had initial problems with detting and gearbox (more induced by the dodgy supplier it came from who have now done a runner with some peoples cars but thats another story).

But after the initial niggles above, some fettling by BRD and regular (as regular as he gets anyway) servicing by Steve Lawson its been as sweet as a nut for the last 18 months, nothing gone wrong at all really.

Your chances of getting a bad one are just the same as on any other car, take the usual precautions, pay someone like Mr lawson to check the intended car etc and you hopefully shouldnt have any problems - good luck
Old 18 July 2001, 01:20 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

If you want to be sure of the history - buy one that was imported new it then has a complete history in english, will have been SVA's and have a mileometer not KM's.

I would also agree that STi's run on 97 seem no less reliable than UK cars.
Old 18 July 2001, 03:32 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ive had an STI4 for nearly 2 years now and i have had not a single problem with it. Gets driven hard too, I dont mess about. After every service it gets a clean bill of health and Im very pleased. Change the disks and pads tho cuz u can fade the standard units after 1 big stop
Stu
Old 18 July 2001, 04:56 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having now convinced myself that the Sti engine is as or even more reliable that its UK counterpart (use of correct fuel & regular servicing) I also intend to buy one soon.

The dealer i intend to go to has a very good reputation so no probs there...BUT do you think he would be P*ssed off if i asked for the car to put through a rolling road? a good operator can identify potental problems me thinks.

?????
Old 18 July 2001, 05:20 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

My STI5 never missed a beat in 17,000 miles. Those 17,000 miles were done in just under 8 months, so the car was used!

Run it on SUL without fail, and put in some Octane booster if you're going to be using the car hard. Let it warm up and cool down properly, and service it every 6,000 miles. NO WORRIES

Matt
Old 18 July 2001, 08:38 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Talking

32,000 miles in just over two years, a number of track days and Santa Pod runs - running a Link for 20,000 of those miles, with, shall we say a non-standard boost profile

Car has been sweet as a nut and has shown very little evidence of wear in the engine (overrun vacuum has declined by around 0.5% in that time and is still in the very healthy range).

Only problems, a bit if detting early on due to an AFR meter being fitting badly, a slight leak in the turbo oil seal and once when I went through a big puddle the ABS light came on for half-an-hour.

This is a fairly modified car with HKS Induction kit and Hiper on for most of its life, plus Link and a few other bits and pieces - slow compared to Bob Rawles, but faster than most!

Perfect!

Trout

Old 18 July 2001, 09:22 PM
subster
Scooby Regular

Go for it. Excellent motors. Jut make sure the engine is properly heated before booting. I think the sti has some stronger engine components than other models; able to withstand some slightly higher boost levels
Old 19 July 2001, 11:57 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Subster,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by subster:
<B>Go for it. Excellent motors. Jut make sure the engine is properly heated before booting. I think the sti has some stronger engine components than other models; able to withstand some slightly higher boost levels [/quote]

Have you looked at the differences between an STI engine and a regular scooby unit? Which parts are different? How do you tell which engine has which parts?

You don't mention anything about the japanese/english fuel quality issues related to STI cars used in this country, could this make a difference to reliability?

Are you so sure the engines are that much stronger that you can safely recommend them to everybody so wholeheartedly?

Moray
Old 19 July 2001, 01:08 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Lets face it - the Sti's are built far more carefully with far harder wearing parts than the Uk cars. So, provided you use atleast Sul and preferably Octane booster I can see no reason why it wont be more reliable given the same conditions.
Old 19 July 2001, 06:39 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good advice from all, if I may, I'd like to add: change your oil often.

Others may disagree, but changing the oil often will help more than hurt - I try to change between 3000 and 4000kms (yes kms - not miles), less if a track day or 3 are thrown in.

Good luck.
Old 19 July 2001, 07:27 PM
subster
Scooby Regular

The fuel issue has been mentioned already loads. I think anyone selling an sti would tell the new owner that super unleaded is a must not a choice.
The engine type can be found on a plate around the nearside strut i think mine is EJ20C or something like that.
Sti engine facts at:-
Old 20 July 2001, 09:09 AM
Timo
Scooby Regular

I think all has been already said above.

I have an STi4 type R and if looked after and not abused(I dont mean driven like an old granny) and run on correct fuel it will go for a long time. I had a small gearbox problem which has been sorted and running on SUL + Octane boost if shes getting a good run out makes it run a smooth as anything whithout any problems. It regulaly pulls 160mph and is begging for more!!
It is the same with any performance car the engines do become a little more tempremental the more you try to modify them but using your head i.e letting the oil warm up before booting it , Letting the turbo cool after a run, regular maintainance etc you should have no worries.

The problem with this site is that people only post their problems. I dont think I've seen a posting saying "my cars is running mint with no problems!!"

Tim