Sponsored by:

Are Subaru dealers on the way out?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2001, 01:52 PM
moneypenny
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Does anyone know what is happening to all the Subaru dealers. I have seen four Subaru dealers in our area either go out of business or relinquishing their Subaru Franchises within the last 12 months! And what is Subaru doing about it. Absolutely nothing! I am now having to do a 120 mile round trip just to get a service!!
Old 11 July 2001, 01:56 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Probably nothing to do with them being unable to service or supply parts for SO-CALLED Grey imports and so losing shed loads of work!

Ian
Old 11 July 2001, 02:06 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by moneypenny:
<B>Does anyone know what is happening to all the Subaru dealers. I have seen four Subaru dealers in our area either go out of business or relinquishing their Subaru Franchises within the last 12 months! And what is Subaru doing about it. Absolutely nothing! I am now having to do a 120 mile round trip just to get a service!![/quote]

A number of dealerships have had their franchises pulled as they were not up to spec, many others have gone bust

In Preston and surrounding areas - Gibsons had their franchise pulled (service area in a wooden hut showroom that leaked ) SGL and IGW went bump!

Go and see Malcolm at John Wildings in Kendal. Great service and on the edge of Shap, so you can combine it with a blast around some of the best roads in the North
Old 11 July 2001, 02:06 PM
ChrisB

Not just Scooby dealers who are suffering over the past months / years.

DC Cook went bust big style. Our local Ford dealer had four sites and they went bust as well.

ChrisB.
Old 11 July 2001, 02:08 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you can save X grand, where X is between 4 and 6, by importing then someone is taking too much out of these cars. Here's a hint, it ain't the dealers.

Something has got to give.
Old 11 July 2001, 02:35 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that manufacturers make a large percentage of their profits from servicing/parts etc. With the thousands of imports around and Subaru's insistence on not servicing them, I'm not in the least bit surprised these franchises are struggling to compete. As the non-Subaru servicing centres are probably cheaper, I bet many UK cars get serviced at these places after the warranty runs out.

The phrase cutting ones nose off to spite your face comes to mind.

[This message has been edited by Jerome (edited 11 July 2001).]
Old 11 July 2001, 03:07 PM
moneypenny
Scooby Newbie

Question

Well - I have been going to Gibsons - and I guess they must have been doing things up since you were there. They have got a coffee bar and and internet centre and big screen TV...unless there is more than one Gibsons
Old 11 July 2001, 03:13 PM
moneypenny
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Hey Gary....just rung Wildings at Kendal and it is going to cost nearly £60.00 more than it costs at Gibsons! But thanks for the thought.
Old 11 July 2001, 06:06 PM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

Hi
noticed same in jockland ,it is as you say dealers refusing to supply and service imported cars ,i got refused engine parts for my uk car because i had fitted a sti engine from a import , the garage was the stirling dealer so it serves them right as they could make a small fortune seviceing imports

yours ssubaru
Old 11 July 2001, 06:11 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Same Gibsons, they have now given it a lick of paint and a posh facade and turned it into the Hard Brock Cafe But as a Subaru dealership they had their workshop in a wooden hut down the righthand side (and still is I think?) and the showroom was a mess inside and out, leaked when raining, sloping roof so low even I hit my head on it (and I'm only 5'6 ) and service (sales and service) that stank. Hence I bought mine from Wildings, and got it serviced there

Drive past Gibsons at least once a week - never seems to be anyone or any cars there??

Wildings will be more expensive, but that is because they are a Subaru Dealership - official dealerships will always be more expensive than 'back-street' shops. Depends whether you want 'Full Service History' or Full SUBARU Service History'
Old 11 July 2001, 06:24 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Moneypenny - your email address (enquiries@jf1.net) is the enquiries email for a subaru parts business based in Garstang/Brock (ie must be virtually next door to Gibsons of Brock ) Surely with that connection you can get a deal? or perhaps you are even closer than 'next door'???

Lillian - is that you trying a cheap stunt to get 'recommendations'
Old 11 July 2001, 07:58 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

some of it was to do with dealers not wanting to pay the £60.000.00 to have their showroom done up so i.m told them that they could not see their dealership having a long term relationship with subaru any more.
mind you we payed the sixty grand and what a bunch of cowboys the boss wasn't very impressed with the work
Old 11 July 2001, 08:40 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GaryC:
<B>Moneypenny - your email address (enquiries@jf1.net) is the enquiries email for a subaru parts business based in Garstang/Brock (ie must be virtually next door to Gibsons of Brock ) Surely with that connection you can get a deal? or perhaps you are even closer than 'next door'???

[/quote]

.fx holds breath

C

Old 11 July 2001, 09:20 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Try
Old 11 July 2001, 09:45 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

E,

this does sound _very_ suspicious - can someone from "Gibsons of Brock" please comment?

mb
Old 11 July 2001, 09:48 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

...or maybe we might visit on the way to NCT1!

mb
Old 11 July 2001, 09:56 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Boomer, in my opinion it's not suspicious, it's a simple attempt at free advertising.

If you look at the www address in moneypenny's profile
Old 12 July 2001, 12:03 AM
Rob FTM
Scooby Regular

I e-mailed Gibsons of Brock at least 2 weeks ago about buying a new WRX. This was a re-send of the same mail sent 2 weeks before that. Two very prompt auto-replies but no actual information.

So if this is Gibsons touting for buisness, may I suggest that Moneypenny stops dreaming of ******** James Bond and starts to answer her e-mail.

But she need not bother with mine as I have taken my custom elsewhere to someone who does reply (a big hello to Iain at Litchfield Imports).

Rob.
Old 12 July 2001, 09:06 AM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ha Ha Ha LOL... (sneaky self advertising )

Can't say I am terribly surprised so many scoob dealers are going pop... Wish mine would... Pay £32,000 for a car - argue with the service staff about whether what is wrong with it should be there or not!!! (gearbox, clutch, brakes, paintwork etc)... More fuc4ing arogant than an Audi dealership!

Maybe IM will eventually decide there are so few that they will actually have to look into getting decent ones...
Old 12 July 2001, 09:26 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Reading you thread with interest. Have owned
cosworths,m3's and such like and my Subaru dealer is the best I have come across
Nothing is too much trouble always polite and never arrogant.
Get your car serviced at Tileys of Bristol
I have no connection with them whatsoever, just a satisfied customer.
If you don't believe me read the postings on Tileys open day (in misc)I think Was posted on 30-6 so may need to open up old messages. If anyone is staying I am sure Babber and I could take them on the pi55.
Blackthorn anyone ?
Regards Jason

[This message has been edited by Sideways (edited 12 July 2001).]
Old 12 July 2001, 09:27 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

If you want to promote your business on here, do so by paying for a banner ad and supporting the community. Dishonest, underhand, sneaky PR attempts usually end in tears
Old 12 July 2001, 09:32 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by moneypenny:
<B>Hey Gary....just rung Wildings at Kendal and it is going to cost nearly £60.00 more than it costs at Gibsons! But thanks for the thought.[/quote]

...Also does that mean that a 7500/oil service costs less than £30 at gibsons? and a full (15000) service costs less than £80?

Or is that more bravado

Old 12 July 2001, 09:53 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

"Scooby Dealers going Pop?"

Must be coz they've started employing Nito!

Old 12 July 2001, 10:12 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<B>Well - I have been going to Gibsons - and I guess they must have been doing things up since you were there. They have got a coffee bar and and internet centre and big screen TV...unless there is more than one Gibsons[/quote]

Emails sent to 'moneypenny' get an auto 'Thanks for your mail' reply from Gibsons of Brock

Can open...worms everywhere
Old 12 July 2001, 03:32 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rob FTM:
<B>I e-mailed Gibsons of Brock at least 2 weeks ago about buying a new WRX. This was a re-send of the same mail sent 2 weeks before that. Two very prompt auto-replies but no actual information.

So if this is Gibsons touting for buisness, may I suggest that Moneypenny stops dreaming of ******** James Bond and starts to answer her e-mail.

But she need not bother with mine as I have taken my custom elsewhere to someone who does reply (a big hello to Iain at Litchfield Imports).

Rob. [/quote]

So the coffee bar, internet centre and big screen TV weren't enough of a deal maker for you Rob? you wanted customer service AS WELL?? tough customer
Old 12 July 2001, 03:55 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

<B>***************************

IMPORTANT NOTE

I have been contacted by Lillian at Gibsons or Brock concerning this thread.

According to Lillian, the username "moneypenny", which is one used by Gibsons, has been used in this thread by a disgruntled former employee. Lillian informs me that she has today taken appropriate legal action and that the person in question is unlikely to miss-represent themeselves using the "moneypenney" account again.

Obviously this information casts a very different light over the preceding topic.

Moray

****************************</B>

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 12 July 2001).]
Old 12 July 2001, 04:23 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Question

Moray this might just be me but this don't seem to add up

According to Lillian, the username "moneypenny", which is one used by Gibsons, has been used in this thread by a disgruntled former employee. Lillian informs me that she has today taken appropriate legal action and that the person in question is unlikely to miss-represent themeselves using the "moneypenney" account again"

If it was a disgruntled former employee who is out to blemish them why did they post this

Hey Gary....just rung Wildings at Kendal and it is going to cost nearly £60.00 more than it costs at Gibsons! But thanks for the thought.

It would seem that they are singing their praises not slagging them off, it just don't make sense Unless they are using more than one user name, in this thread that is.
Old 12 July 2001, 04:47 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

The "disgruntled former employee" doesn't sound to disgruntled if he post things like:

"Well - I have been going to Gibsons - and I guess they must have been doing things up since you were there. They have got a coffee bar and and internet centre and big screen TV...unless there is more than one Gibsons"

and

"Hey Gary....just rung Wildings at Kendal and it is going to cost nearly £60.00 more than it costs at Gibsons! But thanks for the thought."

Could one the admins check the IP address - would this prove anything ?

E.
Old 12 July 2001, 05:18 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

If you look at the net result of "moneypenny"'s posts you will see that people are not happy with the idea that "moneypenny" is someone trying to get "free advertising". Looking at it this way, I would suggest that the person involved has made quite an impact in a very subtle manner.

As we have seen in the past, what's posted on this BBS can make a big difference to the companies in question.

Moray
Old 12 July 2001, 05:42 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Moray, as I asked in my last post if you look at the IP address of the "moneypenny" postings would this prove anything ?

If as Gibson's claim this is a disgruntled previous employee it should be made clear to all the BBS members to ensure no one is left with a negative view of Gibsons.

If however the claim is an attempt for someone at Gibsons to try and dig themselves out of a hole, I believe this should also be made clear to BBS members.

Have Gibsons offered to supply you with any evidence regarding the "appropriate legal action" they claim to have taken against this former employee ?

E.

[This message has been edited by Edward (edited 12 July 2001).]

Quick Reply: Are Subaru dealers on the way out?