Sponsored by:

will you gladly swap to the new model?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2001, 09:22 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

so in a few years as your beloved slightly ugly one needs to hocked in for the slightly more ugly one,how will you feel?

have you all started to contemplate the inevitable,MY01s will eventually have to sit in your drives?

4 possible answers.....

1.no problem
2.would do it but would start crying
3.will change to another marque
4.will invent another answer because I want a sex change.

[This message has been edited by dba (edited 10 July 2001).]
Old 10 July 2001, 09:26 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Answer no.4 - already done it....
Old 10 July 2001, 09:27 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Same ere
Old 10 July 2001, 09:29 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I think that Subaru will make the scoob more attractive as the facelifts happen every year. This shape will be around for 8-10 years. They saw peoples reactions so I'm sure they'll rectify it. If I buy a new Scoob again it will be an STI as they will be officially available in Europe from next year.

WREXY.
Old 10 July 2001, 09:31 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Smile

4! And some nice gold wheels. Whats that url on putting a small light behind my pink badge ladies?

[This message has been edited by Hunk (edited 11 July 2001).]
Old 10 July 2001, 09:34 PM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

Started to notice all the houses in my area with old shapes on the drive have suddenly gained WR blue MY01 WRXs... it's obviously going to happen! Even I'm tempted. But I will check out those *amazing* 330Ds first...

[Shame you can't get sarcasm across on a BBS]
Old 10 July 2001, 09:37 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Will swap to the Evo7 (or perhaps the latest Skyline)
Old 10 July 2001, 09:50 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

will be looking at evo vi / vii in the near future.

just cant get used to the 01

steve
Old 10 July 2001, 09:56 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

alternatively, as 22b's/P1's become more affordable, why not consider them? same for evo6 etc.
personally they would have to sort the whole appearance of the car. round headlights on an angular car looks absurd. it looks too narrow, too high, back end looks cheap hyundai. it seems as if someone is having a very bad joke on enthusiasts i.e 'see if we can make this thing look terrible and see if they still buy it '
now its been out a while, i honestly have to say it hasnt grown on me at all. i hate it more now than i did before. whereas the evo7 is definately growing on me.
i would rather go skyline, sorry, but they look the nuts

edited to add that this topic has left me rather depressed as it's made me realise this ( my sti5) is probably the last scooby i will own, and that indeed is a terrible thought

[This message has been edited by spudgun (edited 10 July 2001).]
Old 10 July 2001, 10:01 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

I hope to keep the scoob and buy an elise as well.

One car for sunnydays one for rainydays.

And I can get stuff in the Scooby!

(The UK300 Looks sort of OK, but I would rather buy a P1 when thy cost less)

What a hard life it is making such deciosions.
Old 10 July 2001, 10:01 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

bloody hell,thats a 30 odd % drop out rate so far!!
Old 10 July 2001, 10:07 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by spudgun:
<B>3.
alternatively, as 22b's/P1's become more affordable, why not consider them? same for evo6 etc.[/quote]

Cos if I'm spending upwards of £25K on my pride and joy, I don't want an obsolete model
Old 10 July 2001, 10:31 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sold my scoob 2 weeks ago because I am going overseas for a year, took me months to sell it and i was glad to see the back of it.
I wont be buying the new model when i come back either, Subaru and Mitsubishi have got it all wrong with their latest incarnations of these once legendary cars, too grown up looking for my tastes. In a few years i fear they will fade away and other marques will take over.
An early Lotus Elise in on the cards for me next summer I think. *flame suit on*
Old 10 July 2001, 10:39 PM
gaz1048
Scooby Regular

Just a question to the BBS on this thread...

Who liked the Sierra when it was first launched and that went on to sell Millions including some rather tasty cozies?

Who liked the Ford Focus until it started popping up winning rallies, how many RS versions will it sell? Many me thinks!

My point is change is good and envitable. The new WRX is a different car and if looks are so important why even bother with a Scoobs in the first place. IMHO the original ain't exactly the most glorious looking car of it's era, but it worked as a car though, hence BBS's such as we are using right now. Give the new car a chance. If you don't like it go buy a BMW or an EVO. I haven't ordered mine for it's looks and to bring the debate to a level of you thinking of buying a different marque makes think we may be missing the point of Scoobs in the first place. Slag it's handling, accelaration or costs. But it's looks?? Look outside in your drive and tell me the old scoobs is a classic of modern car aesthetics?? I think not!

Old 10 July 2001, 10:42 PM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

I shall wait and see what the Sti is going to be like. I don't like the looks of the new car but that's not really the point. with say 300 bhp nad 300 ftlb torque it could look like a Vectra for all I care.

But I suspect the spec will not be 300/300 and I will declare mu sports car phase to be over and buy a Saab Troll, torque steer and all.

JD
Old 10 July 2001, 10:54 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

Wink

EVO7.NOTHING ELSE WILL DO.THEY DONT HAVE HALF THE PRIBLEMS SCOOBYS HAVE.IVE BEEN A MEMBER NOW FOR 4 WEEKS ,I THOUGHT I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY SCOOB.ITS NEVER ENDING WITH THESE CARS. STILL LOVE HER THOUGH.
Old 10 July 2001, 11:35 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thomo,

If you don't mind, would you please press your caps lock button m8. I'm going def.

WREXY.
Old 11 July 2001, 12:05 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

now at 50% drop out,sell your shares quick!!
Old 11 July 2001, 12:07 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Wink

OK, so it depends which dictionary you use..

Although I would go for a P1 at the mo, it depends how things change when I come to replace my current car. I am getting used to the MY01, so it could happen...

Cheers
Old 11 July 2001, 12:13 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My answer about 3 months ago would have been that I would not change as it's ugly, but I've chilled since then and the bugeyed one is really growning on me, especially the wagon. I *love* the new look wheels as well.

So as of now, I'd swap to a bug eye with no problems at all, once you're inside you can't see the uglyness, plus if you tint the windows no-one will see who you are as well

There is one problem though, and that is that until (if ever) the STi's come over hear I'd not change to a bugeye. Why? well, if I'm going to get a new car I typically try and go 'up the ladder' a bit and the only way up is either a PPP'd Bugeye wagon, or an STi Wagon, and I think I'd go for the STI wagon (though UK or Jap I don't know).
Old 11 July 2001, 09:20 AM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Probably 3, change to another marque...

MY01 is too ugly even after morettes, insurance too expensive (group 19), too slow in stock form and STi too expensive...
Old 11 July 2001, 09:42 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Hi Everybody,

I was in Pangbourne the other day getting mine serviced and, for the first time, had time to have a really good look at both the saloon and hatchback versions of the MY01. (there were also a couple of P1s there - one looked new the other was used and for sale - nice motor!)

I believe the only good external feature of the MY01 is the flared wheel arches. From in front and behind in other respects it looks dreadful. That is my Opinion. The back looks particularly horrible on the saloon so I started to look at the hatchback and thought I could probably live with this as it is less of a change from the older model.

Anyway this is not the point of this message. When I looked at both cars side by side I noticed that the hatchback does not have the flared wheel arches. Why not?!!! Has anybody else noticed this? I have not seen it discussed here at all.

To get back to the thread, I will probably not buy another Impreza. Not just because I don't like the MY01 but mainly because of the oppressive attitude of the government towards car owners. As with cigarettes they are a bunch of hypocrites. They love the tax they get from petrol and **** and would really like us to consume more but pretend that we should use less just to be PC. It makes me sick. I will probably get a smart car or perhaps a train when I sell scoob in about 2010.

Dr Nick
Old 11 July 2001, 09:55 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidBrown:
<B> Cos if I'm spending upwards of £25K on my pride and joy, I don't want an obsolete model[/quote]

P1 obsolete..?!! I think not. Just because it's based on the previous model does not mean it's obsolete (dictionary definition: <I>disused, discarded</I>. Does not sound like the P1 to me

I must say the looks of the MY01 are starting to grow on me. If I bought one that looked like Pete Croney's model from Scoobysport, then I could *just* about tolerate it on my drive way.

However, I would at this stage prefer to buy a v clean and tidy used P1. I've just about talked the wife into it..

Old 11 July 2001, 10:35 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Oi! DB! Nooooooo! U schlaaaag!
The MY01 or it's later derivatives will never make me feel the 22 is obsolete - the only thing that would do that is if petrol engines were outlawed and all driving was automated.
I have to say MY01 will never find a place in my garage.
So number 3 it is for me also, 22B will be my Sunday car, something seven-esque for the track and a big Audi for day to day travel.
Hmmm, only the seven missing, must do some shopping soon
Chuck
Old 11 July 2001, 10:41 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nimbus:
<B>
P1 obsolete..?!! I think not. Just because it's based on the previous model does not mean it's obsolete (dictionary definition: <I>disused, discarded</I>. Does not sound like the P1 to me [/quote]

I gather there are still quite a few disused P1's that Subaru couldn't sell.. Sounds obsolete to me

The model is obsolete in that it's no longer being made.

And Chuck, you drive an Audi daily, so your opinions are null and void
Old 11 July 2001, 11:01 AM
wacko
Scooby Regular

Don't like the new look, and prefer 2 doors over 4.... guess when i change i'll be shopping else where.
Old 11 July 2001, 11:02 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidBrown:
<B> I gather there are still quite a few disused P1's that Subaru couldn't sell.. Sounds obsolete to me

The model is obsolete in that it's no longer being made.
[/quote]

LOL. Not "disused" P1s but "unused". Disused implies that the were first used then discarded.

You can not call a car (or anything) obsolete just because it's no longer being made... It's only obsolete when it can no longer fulfil what ever roll it was built for or a newer model *significantly* out performs the previous model to an extent that the previous can not compete. Again does not sound like the P1 to me

Old 11 July 2001, 11:11 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

hehe, OK.. I'm arguing the toss here because it's quiet in the office. Checking out the Thesaurus.. I get:

ob·so·lete

Synonyms: extinct, outmoded, outworn, passé, superseded; ANCIENT 1

Related Word: old-fashioned, old hat, old-time, old-timey, out-of-date, unfashionable; dusty, fusty, moldy, moth-eaten, musty, stale, timeworn

Idioms: behind the times

Contrasted Words: contemporary, modern, new-fashioned, up-to-date, up-to-the-minute; novel, original, unique

Antonyms: current

Sounds like pre-MY01 to me

You can argue over the definition, but my reasonings still hold true.

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 11 July 2001).]
Old 11 July 2001, 03:59 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

MY01 needs a radical overhaul before I'll even look into buying one.
Think I'll get a Jag F-Type for my next car. Till then my scoob will do.
Old 11 July 2001, 04:14 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by roadrunner:
<B>MY01 needs a radical overhaul before I'll even look into buying one.
Think I'll get a Jag F-Type for my next car. Till then my scoob will do.[/quote]

Jag F? Don't hold your breath

Dave I would suggest that your statistic is a bit misleading because I doubt all of old Impreza owners would have got another whatever the new one had looked like. Question is, how many of those people have actively been put-off getting another because they don't like the new one.

But then you have to ask how many new model owners would never have bought the old one. More than none I can assure you.

Quick Reply: will you gladly swap to the new model?