Sponsored by:

Possible Performace Pack

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2002, 04:13 PM
TrueSTI man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

How likey is it that the STI PPP delivery date will continue to slip as I am considering the Litfield option. Has anybody heard anymore recently.
Old 20 August 2002, 04:56 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Not a thing beyond the rumours

I bet it'll be released the day after you void your warranty with the Litchfields pack. The presence or lack of should'nt sway you, you should go for what suits you best.
Old 21 August 2002, 06:05 PM
IFG
Scooby Regular

The thing is that you don't know what suits you best until Subaru/Prodrive release the figures ?

It could be that the PPP is better than the Litchfield option , on the other hand ......................
Old 21 August 2002, 10:44 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Talking

Old 22 August 2002, 08:38 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I couldn't possibly comment re the PPP....

But, one word, warranty on a UK car...
Old 22 August 2002, 10:24 AM
Fitz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's five words isn't it
Old 22 August 2002, 10:53 AM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I have a Litchfield modified Sti7, and I got a "Warranty Holdings" 2 year warranty with it, first year covered by Subaru as it's a Euro import.
I only test drove a Prodrive Type UK Sti for a few miles, but the Litchfield conversion is mighty impressive. The difference in pick-up from 3-5000 rpm is big, but the handling is so much improved (not that the standard Sti is bad). Maybe a little noisy for long journeys, but it's not meant to be a cruiser.
I prefer this to owning a UK car (as I did previously). The nearest Subaru dealer charges £58/hour plus VAT, and I always felt duty bound to use them. No such stipulations with the Warranty Holdings warranty, can use any garage as long as they are VAT registered.
Car hasnt gone wrong yet to use the warranty, so time will tell whether this will work for me. So far it feels like a good move. I love the car, it blows peoples minds when I take them for a spin.
Old 22 August 2002, 12:59 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I was extremely impressed with the Litchfield PP and really really need to have the performance but when you go the UK route ht on;y answer is PPP IMHO. Not being Elitist just the route I took If I'd had gone Parallel import or import the Litchfield option would be on :

Tony

Ps or the £80,000 group N car in Cars & Car conversions August issue would be very nice
Old 22 August 2002, 01:53 PM
vfg
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Recently arrived back from hols. My Sti had done its 1k before going and so I could at last try it out. Excellent handling - much better than my MY00 which had S02's My Sti has Toyo Proxes and it feels good both wet & dry. However you have to keep the revs up and low down power sub 3k is very disappointing.

I have ordered the PPP but I am also dismayed to find that it hasn't been released yet - surely someone has some idea of how long and also what it will do!
Old 22 August 2002, 05:03 PM
NDT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have heard lots of bads things about Warranty Holdings, and had a bad experience with them a while ago.
Old 22 August 2002, 05:09 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

NDT, now that I didnt want to see. The warranty looks quite good on paper. e mail me off here if you like iclubb@dodi.co.uk - I'd be interested to learn from your experience if possible.

Thanks
clubby
Old 22 August 2002, 05:55 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Cool

It all seems to have gome very quiet w,r,t PPP for the Sti 7, ...with orders having been taken I would upgrade to
"Probable Performance Pack" or at least "Predicted Performance Pack"

Any other suggestions?

I am sure it is on the way....but I am not holding my breath or getting excited any more.... shame really.
Old 22 August 2002, 06:40 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Angry

'Prodrive Performance Pack' ?

More like 'Pack of only Promises from Prodrive' ....

Has anone wondered why its taking them so long ? Its either unreliable or not that good impprovement... Of course Mikes 'show' car was/is good..... if the WRC tuning team cant get a car going well then who can... but his could have a new engine every week if they wanted.

I'm really miffed with the whole thing.... its a good job the rest of the car makes up for this disapointment

ids
Old 22 August 2002, 06:54 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

ids

It was just the same for the normal WRX PPP. People waited for months for it, only to be told 'end of next month' month after month.

I would rather they get it right and reliable than have it right now and risk my car going boom. I'm in no hurry for it.
Old 22 August 2002, 07:14 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

As some of you will know I won't now comment on what is happening with the PPP directly.

However, and in the interests of accuracy/fair play I would state that Prodrive have made no official statement on the PPP whatsoever. If Mike has made any comment at all to individuals it is only because people on here have been nagging him to death about it

The PPP has been commissioned from Prodrive by Subaru UK and if SUK are not prepared to make an official statement then Prodrive cannot either. Yes, some dealers did give out information a few weeks ago, but it appeared they jumped the gun, as I said at the time.

There has been much comment about what happened with the MY01 PPP delays (hi Jza ) - perhaps SUK took this on board and are not prepared to announce the STi PPP until all the bits are manufactured and in stock

Of course, for them, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.....

You can't just cobble the thing together in a few weeks and chuck it on - it has to work safely, and in excess of 3 years/60,000 miles to be a suitable business case for SUK - there wouldn't be any point for them in making the PPP if every one was guaranteed to produce a warranty claim

You can't accelerated age test parts for 60,000 miles in five minutes either........
Old 22 August 2002, 10:47 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Dave - last paragraph tells an unsurprising tale Dealers did, however, have an E-Mail.... do you know from whom, then, saying what?

Given the need to build a reliability history, how many STi/PPPs do you reckon there actually are putting on the miles, and who has 'em?? Just idle curiosity you understand

Phil
Old 23 August 2002, 01:08 AM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Fair comment Dave T-S, I am not intending to ride Prodrive themselves, I respect their integrety and understand that they cannot be drawn into open debate over Subaru's promotion/marketing strategy or time lines.
IMHO I suspect they are as annoyed as anyone over dealers inferring that the PPP is immenent and taking orders on that basis. It is interesting that several times the issue of predicting how many people would want PPP has been postulated as a stock control/supply issue.
On a more positive note perhaps a posting listing those here who would most probably go with the PPP (even if they are waiting for more info before ordering it) would be useful.
Old 23 August 2002, 01:50 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
If your an UK PPP is the route

Old 23 August 2002, 10:00 AM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Hmmm - Mainland Subaru said "will be ready by end of August" - phoned Prodrive "...couple of months away" - talk about communication!!!

Ian
Old 23 August 2002, 11:49 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Spoke IM this morning, and their line is the same as Prodrive and as laid out by Dave T-S. PPP is some weeks away while they assess the reliability (and FAIK maybe do other things too??) Anxious tho' I am to have one, I'm not surprised.

Phil

Old 23 August 2002, 11:55 AM
Fitz
Scooby Regular

FAIK ?
Sorry for being dim here, but what does that stand for ?
Old 23 August 2002, 01:24 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

AFAIK, it stands for far as i know
Old 23 August 2002, 01:24 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

....it has to work safely, and in excess of 3 years/60,000 miles...
Probably only one or two years left on most people's warranties by the time it comes out though
Old 23 August 2002, 01:41 PM
adair69
Scooby Regular

Question

Ok so I'm new to this community...........
But for gods sake, how can people justify companies who say something will happen and then it doesn't!! If I ran my business like this I wouldn't last very long, you only take this kind of crap because they have the monopoly, and basically have you by the short and curlies. Now ask yourself, would this happen if there were 2 or 3 companies doing it, NO!
I hear you all blaming the dealers, but when I bought this car I personally enquired to Prodrive and had an e mail back from them personally stating the cost, and that the pack would be released and I quote "early in August". Stop making excuses for a company which will make a lot of money from this monopoly of your custom. The thing probably isn't ready anyway and needs testing...... again SO WHAT! You wouldn't tell someone the heart their waiting for is on the way if it wasn't just because they want it! I would suggest that for Prodrives benefit, don't promise what you can't deliver, and I can only say that I want you all as customers if you had this waiting for the last PPP..... Oh well good old English never complain and just que up behind the Germans on Holiday.

Nuff said
Old 23 August 2002, 02:03 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Cool

adair69
And your point is exactly....?

There *are* several companies offering upgrades for the STi7.

It just so happens that only Prodrive's will definitely not invalidate the warranty on a UK supplied car. That's important to some

Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head and forcing them to buy the PPP anyway.....

OK, it's behind schedule - so what? This is hardly the first product in the history of the world that is late......
Old 23 August 2002, 02:13 PM
adair69
Scooby Regular

You confuse me.... Do you work for Prodrive? Are you on their pay roll, or are you just happy to roll over!

Of course no-one is holding a gun to peoples head, never said they were, but once again simplifying what I commented on.

NO there is one company involved, as all others invalidate the warranty. (Not so BMW Alpine/M series)

Shoddy business practice is just that! DON'T promise what you can't deliver. If you do you lose the confidence of your customers.

Shame you have to respond in such a personal way to what is an opinion, as I said .... on their payroll???
Old 23 August 2002, 04:01 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

adair69
No, I don't work for Prodrive, but to be honest judging by your posts I think I have a better idea of what is involved in producing something like the PPP and probably a more balanced view in general than you...

The PPP is a few weeks late, so what? It's not the end of the world, and there are a few things out there that are probably a bit more important, like the state of the country/world around us.

I shall probably fit a PPP. So it will take a bit longer - the car still gets me from A to B in the meantime.

It's Friday afternoon, take a chill pill
Old 23 August 2002, 04:15 PM
adair69
Scooby Regular

Very Chilled thank you for enquiring...

Absolutely, I agree you do know more about what makes a subaru go, PPP and anything else to do with these vehicles (and probably Insurance). My point remains though that the nature of these threads regards the PPP are always reference to bad business practice, not to what the performance will do. Of course in respect of business practice I'm afraid I have you on the knowledge, and experience. I have said before that you seem to take this all a little too seriously, a slight on someones business practice is not aimed at you, as for balanced, someone who has just bought a Subaru is much fresher and open minded about the whole thing. I have dealt with Audi, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari and never seen the like of this.

Other than that have a wonderful Bank Holiday weekend!

Pill was good!!
Old 23 August 2002, 04:23 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

i know an i won't tell you.

every time there is a thread about the PPP i will remind you that I KNOW and am not going to tell any of you guys.

anyhow I DO KNOW a guy who works for prodrive and will have a word with him to see if he knows, so that i can know and then i too can come on here saying i know but i won't tell you what i know cause if i do it will break their confidence then in the future i will not know what they know and will be in the same boat as you bescause i won't know either.

HTH
Old 23 August 2002, 04:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

adair69
Perhaps because I have to suffer a 40 mile train journey to work every day (now THERE'S bad business practice - the railways - a monopoly with a captive market [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) then a few weeks delay from Prodrive doesn't seem so bad LOL

I am sorry to hear they promised you August delivery on a PPP but that was probably the best information they had at the time and delays do happen due to unforseen circumstances.

By your own admission you are new here, if you had seen some of the horrors so called reputable Subaru tuning companies/suppliers have inflicted on people on here over the last few years you would understand why many feel delaying the PPP and getting the product to work safely, and still giving a full warranty, is important.

I would rather have a few weeks delay than a blown engine with it being underdeveloped.

We may have to agree to differ on this but I think it is more commendable to get the product right than chuck it together, take the money and run. Prodrive aren't like that.

I still maintain that the gimme, gimme attitude of people on here (and I would admit to being part of that, to a certain extent), only serves to whip up a frenzy and make things worse.

It's not a question of me taking this too seriously, more the opposite - i'm not getting wound up at the fact the PPP isn't here yet. As far as I am concerned it will be here when it gets here

Quick Reply: Possible Performace Pack