Honest opinions about Evo1...

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2001, 05:21 AM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey all,

Just a new member of this forum, as I am very near to purchasing an earlier model WRX.

The problem I have is that I have been offered a bloody good deal for an Evo1. Now before you all flame me, has anyone really compared these two cars (Evo1 vs '94/'95 WRX) and have some honest opinions? I know this is a WRX forum, so in reality the Evo is hated... and I will most likely go for a WRX anyway as I think the Evo is ugly... but I would really appreciate some honest opinions regarding the Evo1.

Thanks all

Jase
Old 16 July 2001, 07:58 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Honestly - hitting something in front on any car is expensive, but the Evos can be positively eye watering!

You see, FMICs are nice, this is the but...

Otherwise, they are both fun cars, but the poise of the Subie vs. early Evos is quite a world apart. Power upping was easier on the Mitsu though, others may disagree on this.

Cheers.
Old 16 July 2001, 05:06 PM
TonyC-Evo Lurker
Scooby Regular

Hello, I've had experience of both and got the Evo 1.
Yes its ugly and plainer than the scoob and it sounds like a hoover but its a bloody good punt.
To be fair the differences are small, however I know from the people who service my car that they are getting an increasing number of Scoobs with popped engines at that age. It may be the drivers, or it may be they are more common but they are all getting the same problem - Piston number 3 failing. Evo's suffer tappet problems but that is about it.
You will need to drive them both, the scoob probably has more ultimate grip than a Evo1, but the E1 has a more balanced chassis. It slides sooner but its soooooo much fun. An e2 or 3 had revised suspension that made them more grippy.
I'm writting a buyers guide etc for the Evo's s I am register secretary for the Evo 1-2-3 with the UK owners club. If you like I could send you a bit more info. Mail me at tonyc@emis-support.demon.co.uk

Cheerio,
TonyC