ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby Import

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2001, 05:46 PM
sgm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this question has been asked millions of times but I'm new to all this internet lark.
I am serious about importing a scooby wrx but have heard horror stories about them.
People say that if you import one to Uk spec it is still different?
Also dealers don't like to deal with you when it comes to servicing it?
Any help or advice would be mostly appreicated.
Sorry once again as I expect you are sick of people asking this question but they seem to have taken off the search method which could allow me to see the correct topics.

Regards

Stan
Old 08 July 2001, 05:56 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Hi Stan

Search is in the top right of the screen "Search Scoobynet"

It depends what you mean by imported WRX. If its a Japanese import WRX then Subaru UK and their dealers will have nothing to do with them. If its a new shape WRX imported from Europe, as a European spec car then they are warranted for at a least one year under a pan European warranty. A RHD European spec car may have a slightly different spec but essentially they are the same as UK spec. UK dealer will fix and service Euro spec cars.

If you are looking at a WRX which is not a new 2001 (big round headlight) shape then its a Jap import and dealer wont tough them but a lot independents will .

(The Aussies also had pre 2001 WRX's but these were same as UK spec and unlikely to have found their way here)

Best have a look here may answer loads of questions :
Old 08 July 2001, 11:17 PM
sgm
Scooby Newbie

The car that I have been quoted for is a subaru wrx 4wd 4dr and is quoted in euros.
This must mean that it is a UK spec car and not a Jap import right?
Am still unsure about this importing business but I can save over 6K so its got to be worth trying.
Has anyone else sucessfully imported a euro scooby.
Please Help
Old 08 July 2001, 11:19 PM
sgm
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help Chrisp.

Stan
Old 09 July 2001, 09:03 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It's definitely worth it. I took delivery from a Dutch garage (Autobedjrif Gertjan van der Velde, tel +31 186 661556 or mail gj_velde@wish.net) in November 1999 and saved a small fortune.

Either go direct, such as to Gertjan above (tell him Nick sent you) or use someone trusted by the Scooby community. Two names spring to mind - litchfield imports, who have a banner advert, and Keyring cars, who used to have a banner advert.

I've never seen a bad word about either Gertjan, Ian at Litchfield import or the boys and girls at Keyring cars.

Drop me a mail if you want more information. I run the "importingimprezas" mailing list, but it's a tad moribund at the moment.

Nick.
Old 09 July 2001, 07:06 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

Chiark

Just checking whether you got my joining mail about the importingimprezas list.

The address starts with adp.

Ta

Andy
Old 09 July 2001, 09:23 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Stan, I have ordered a MY2002 UK Spec 4 door WRX (Blue Mica with bucket seats) last week from Belgium. I have set up a forward exchange contract with my bank to guarantee the exchange rate for Jan 2002.

The total price including delivery to my door on a transporter, VAT & registration works out @ £15705 based on the 2001 price.

The car will need an alarm fitting, I will have to pay for the 1000 mile service, and the second & third year warranty is covered by the Belgium importer (so probably not as good as a UK car).

The only uncertainty is that the 2002 price hasn’t yet been released so the price of the vehicle may be higher. But even if the price goes up 5% and allowing £400 for the alarm and service the total would be £16890, I am saving £3855 (18.5%) off the best price I could find on a UK car (with a £1000 discount off list price).

In my opinion at list price the car is a superb bargain, at under £17k it’s a steal – especially when you think the first Sierra Cosworth in 1986 had a list price around £16k !

I have sorted it out through Mark @ Keyring Cars (01794 367052), I would recommend speaking to him before ordering your car.

E.
Old 09 July 2001, 09:51 PM
sgm
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Edward your advice has been helpful. I have been quoted just over17K for a WRX 4dr Blue Mica with sport seats and category 1 alarm, 17" alloys gold and delivery to my door with 12mths road tax. Can I give this chap Mark a ring anytime or is it only during office hours?
How long have you been waiting for yours? I have been told there is a 6 month waiting time on these beautys.
Have still yet to put a deposit on one as I am still unsure about who to deal with and I have heard rumours about the car being different to the UK model. But surely if we are importing a scooby to UK spec thats exactly what it will be "UK SPEC" right?
Cheers

Stan
Old 09 July 2001, 10:20 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Stan, I think Mark will only be available during business hours, try him tomorrow.

I ordered my car last week and I expect delivery in Jan 2002 (I want it to be registered in 2002).

The car I am getting is exactly the same as a UK car except for the alarm & warranty.

£17k is to much in my opinion, who is this with (Jamjar ??), I nearly ordered one with Jamjar but don't forget whoever you use to order the car you are still basically buying the car yourself directly from the foreign dealer, if the 2002 price is higher you will still have to pay for the increase.

Keyring cars have a good price from a Belgium dealer who you pay directly (my bank charged £13 for the transfer on the deposit) all you pay Keyring for is the delivery and their fee of £195 inc VAT.

How long do you plan to keep the car ?
If you try to sell it or trade it in during the first 3 years you will probably get less, once it's over three years old I don't expect much difference in value as the warranty won't be an issue - especially if you sell it privately.

E.
Old 12 July 2001, 05:41 PM
sgm
Scooby Newbie

Hi the quote that I got was from Snoop and that was with all the extras from clear side and front repeaters to the cat 1 upgrade alarm, with sports seats and in mica blue. However haven't ordered it yet and am still looking for the best deal. This is the first time that I have imported a car and you hear some daunting stories! I will most probably keep the car for quite a few years as its my fav car on the road except the Evo 7 but that is pricey!

Cheers for everyones help and advice on my question.

Stan
Old 12 July 2001, 05:54 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as mentioned above Euro imports come with (quote) 'at least 1 years warranty' (unquote)

has anyone got, or is it possible to get the other 2 years
Old 12 July 2001, 06:09 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I imported the old model turbo using Alliance Car Imports (www.alliancecarimports.co.uk) who sourced from Belgium. I had a good scout around a year ago and they seemed to be offering the best prices and credability - but times change so its worth ringing around a few places. There were various delivery options but I collected mine from a holding compound in Dover. Car was identical UK spec except the alarm which gets fitted to UK cars by Subaru UK once they've imported them themselves. There was a bit of a wait, although not as long as in the UK at the time, but everything else went pretty smoothly.

Golden rule is make sure that someone has heard of the company you use and can reccommend them. Never speak to an importer who wants to handle your money - this should be paid direct to the foreign dealer who you should also check exists. Sadlty there are still people that will take you to the cleaners.

As mentioned previously going over and arranging a deal yourself could be worthwhile. In my instance it was not going to make a difference to the price and Ialso I was too lazy to sort it out.

Responses from UK dealers vary but all will do servicing - some willingly, some begrudgingly. Some could get arsey over warranty work, but again others will be OK.
Old 12 July 2001, 06:14 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Steve001:
<B>as mentioned above Euro imports come with (quote) 'at least 1 years warranty' (unquote)

has anyone got, or is it possible to get the other 2 years [/quote]

The cars supplied from Belgium through Alliance Car Imports were meant to come with 3 yrs warranty. The whole thing was a bit of a grey area and I'm not sure who managed to get work done in yrs 2 and 3. Unfortunately I smashed mine up before anything went wrong with it, so I can't comment.

Old 12 July 2001, 06:17 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that.

but thanks anyway

Steve
Old 12 July 2001, 07:14 PM
DHX
Scooby Newbie

I thought I heard that the Belgian warranty meant that in years2 and 3 any problems would be sorted by a UK Dealer and then they would be reimbursed by the Belgian dealer.Have I got this wrong?
Old 12 July 2001, 09:24 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

DHX,

That was about the size of it - sounds simple doesn't it. I think people were tending to go along to dealers with bits of paper written on in Flemmish, the dealers then say 'ere whats all this then! and ring IM Motors (aka Subaru UK.) These folks then tell the UK dealers that Europen cars only come with a one year warranty and the whole circle starts to repeat itself. It sounds easier to contact martians than Subaru UK if you are a member of the public and much banging of heads against brick walls follows.

This was basically the reality but hopefully things may have changed?- Not just the usual anti-import scare mongering, honest - even though I do now have a legit' UK Scooby

[This message has been edited by Boost II (edited 12 July 2001).]
Old 12 July 2001, 11:29 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stan

I have ordered mine from Gibson's of Brock. I am due to get it in approx. 10 days. If you want more info, mail me offline.

Cheers

TONY
Old 13 July 2001, 12:47 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I've just signed up to this BB with a view to importing a 5-door WRX via Keyring Cars. Judging from the above posts it would appear some of you have also used this firm. Would you recommend them ?

I find the idea of spending a full weekend in Belgium with our lass somewhat disturbing, and so have decided to use an agent
Old 13 July 2001, 12:51 AM
MidLife
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Ordered WR Blue 4 door thru Keyring Cars at end of June. Good service so far.
Old 13 July 2001, 08:05 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stan,

I wouldn't bother using an Agent, I would go direct to the dealer myself (In fact that's exactly what I did).

I would recommend buying from Holland (Chiark recommends Autobedjrif Gertjan van der Velde) and I would recommend CiTO Autobedrijf B.V in Rotterdam. It does depend on where you are in the country but I flew over, struck up a contract and made a weekend of it in Amsterdam with my wife. It was <B><I>SO</B></I> easy you wouldn't believe it!!!!! (And only added approx £300 onto the final cost )

The only differences that I am aware of is that you don't get a rear spoiler (which I would bin straight away anyway and go for the MY01 Scoobysport spoiler ) and you <B>do</B> get the Bucket Seats (the non-bucket side-air-bag ones on the UK cars are IMHO - CRAP!!!!). So bonuses all round then

All this saved me approx £7000 !!!!!

If you want any more details, feel free to mail me

Matt
Old 13 July 2001, 11:01 AM
MidLife
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Stan

I would check the newsgroup uk.rec.cars.imports for comments/experiences of Snoop and Grey/UK before placing an order with them.

Old 13 July 2001, 03:27 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

MJM,

I have ordered a 2002 WRX using Keyring last week, so far I have found them to be very professional. I paid the deposit directly to the Belgium dealer, I received a receipt from the dealer within a few days of transferring the money.

I have guaranteed the exchange rate with my Bank for the final payment in Jan 2002, so I don't have any uncertainty on what the exchange rate will be in six months.

I found that Keyring offered the best price and the most straightforward pricing.

Cheers

E.
Old 13 July 2001, 05:16 PM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

I just heard that mine is ready to be picked up!

Thats just 4 months from ordering it (Belgium)!

Total price inc VAT £15,275

SO excited, can't wait to have it sitting on the drive behind the Elise.
Old 13 July 2001, 08:04 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BT52b:
<B>
SO excited, can't wait to have it sitting on the drive behind the Elise.[/quote]

Glad you'll be putting it behind the Elise - I don't want those bug eyes staring across at me!