UK trip report - this much fun has to be illegal

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2001, 12:00 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Theo

That's twice we've missed you in 2 weeks now! Once at the ring (ok, we saw you briefly) and secondly at Goodwood on Sunday

Dammit man you're hard to track down

Glad you enjoyed your little stay in Blighty tho'

Sal & Chris
Old 11 July 2001, 12:01 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Ian, best to mail him at mark@ems-tuning.nl . Answer may take a few days, as he's in the middle of his rally season now. Mark's situated in Nieuw-Bergen near the German border, about 1,5 hour drive from Amsterdam. You can also call him on 0485-343191
Old 11 July 2001, 12:06 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

"They see him here, they see him there..." Shame Sal (& Chris), was only briefly at the Ring as I had a 5 am take-off on Monday.

Will wear my EvilBevel helmet all day next time, so should be easier to spot Thought I was going to bump into your posse anyway at Goodwood, but it was a little bigger & crowdier than I expected... even took me 15 minutes to find my car back afterwards

[This message has been edited by EvilBevel (edited 11 July 2001).]
Old 11 July 2001, 12:17 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hey Theo....why didn't you email and tell me u was comin over. I would dropped what I was doing and whizzed up to see you and given the scoob a quick go over for free to keep her looking good.

Next time your over please let us know.

Regards
Mark
Old 11 July 2001, 12:47 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Theo It was good to meet you at last - even briefly, look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the UK.

I get over to Belgium ever so often, perhaps we could meet up for a couple of beers next time i am out that way?

As far as Shaun increasing your English vocabulary - i though you had a better command of the English languauge that he did anyway

Did he teach you any new words which wern't swear words?

All the best
Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 11 July 2001).]
Old 11 July 2001, 10:35 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Right then, not a novel this because JF used up most of the diskspace with his last one

Last week's UK trip was really something... Although it didn't start out very well: when trying to park the car at the Maidstone services and reversing because the space was too small, I looked to my right to see if all was clear... it was, and "bang"... straight into a Rover 25 that was (of course) at the rear left... a big 5" dent in the rear bumber (Rover was unscathed though, British build quality I suppose). Darn...

Fairly swift trip to Northampton (nothing fell off, seized, blew or melted otherwise ) except ... for the Intrax suspension that had started to rattle & cloink in Belgium and became worse. Oh dear.

Due to connections with a dodgy geezer that has something to do with Scoobynet, I could go straight to Tyres Northampton to have the dent checked out. Elvis threw his magic eye on it, brought out Mike Rainbird's hairdryer ( ), talked nice but firmly to my car and lo and behold .... dent was gone in 30 minutes. Top job & big thanks to TN !

Just had the suspension to be sorted out, en after a few (well, maybe a hundred ) calls from SDB, I went for the DMS Gold 40 mm stuff. TN fitted them on Thursday morning, while I drove one of their waiting customers (nice 70 year old chap) to Swahililand (or sumthing ) in a ... RHD Mondeo. That was a first for me but after 15 minutes it went quite well actually.

Back to TN to pick up the car en over to Harj's place for a trip to Powerstation. I was aware that Harj had become a sales weazel so I was going to be strong and firm and not buy anything... well... almost Defi gauges do look ever so nice though, and I only had to pay 10 % ugly furriner tax on top of the normal street price, so that was kind of a deal Nice to meet mrs. Harj as well, and heard the little one slag someone off on junior.scoobynet.co.uk

DMS suspension felt really good on the way down to PS, where Nick slapped my car around to get it aligned. Camberbolt here, some tweaking there, and voila ... perfect setup for the rest of the week.

Did a mandatory power run after that (to fuel my pub stories ) and got a rather nice 283 BHP (201 at the wheels) and 263 lbs/ft. Mind you, temps were soaring hot in there (26° plus) and the car had jumped a little (Dirk said it should have read 290-ish BHP). Again, even if these are pretty good numbers, it is still lies & damned lies But the fuelling was exactly where my tuner (Mark Verhoeven, Netherlands) wanted it to be (was his first Unichip mapping), and no sign of det whatsoever. 8.75 % CO (read: rather rich) from 4000 rpm all the way to the red line). So I was pleased to see the rollers confirm what the road and various speed tests already reveiled. Not bad for a UK scoob

Evening came, and we had a very hot diner in a very *hot* restaurant in Daventry, where I met Paul Habgood & misses and RichS. CK1 joined us as well. It was so hot that even Simon did not finish his diner (we wondered if we had to call an ambulance, shocking )

Next day was a visit to Max Power show ... what can I say other then when Shaun's video will be on sale (NovaLicker at the NEC ), BUY IT. Must be a typical UK thing to do a **** show and throw in a few cars for ambience Outside show was very good though, enjoyed the day very much. Back out for a quick beer/food with Mark & Malcolm of TN, good fun again.

Saturday was rather interesting as well... throwing the car around (with the new suspension) on Bruntingthorpe. Do silly stuff without any danger whatsoever. Very good way of trying to feel the car's limit on steady state cornering, lift off cornering, and trailbraking/left foot braking. I surely whished I could do this every week. Simon kindly helped me to further adjust the DMS, and handling was very impressive indeed. SO2's didn't take the abuse kindly though ... rain came a day late for them.

After a MacD lunch (only one we had. honest. OK, maybe two then max 4 ) and some great music jam JF joined us and went out to Chichi's. John proved to me again that good suspension and 160 BHP advantage doesn't really make up for driver skills, as I found out trying to follow him over some very nice roads. I could just make up the lost distance on the straights, as he left me for dead in his 2.0 litre non turbo in the corners. Kinda expected him to say afterwards that he was just driving calmly, but he didn't (he was kinda pushing it ). Great drive though, and the swetty handpalms dried soon after that Good thing there was a private airfield all the way to the restaurant

Pièce de resistance was to follow on the Sunday: Goodwood. Had Shaun in the car on the way up, and he decided to enhance my rather limited English vocabulary with a few words
The show was unbelievable - see
Old 11 July 2001, 10:55 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Theo,

I am very happy that you had a good time, but I am also pretty upset that I missed you! I had no idea you were in town, perhaps I should keep an eye on the events section more

Cem
Old 11 July 2001, 11:08 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

It was a pleasure theo, great to have you over here.

I'm still trying to catch up on sleep now!!!

Glad you had a good time
Old 11 July 2001, 11:11 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

we were at Goodwood same time as you and still didnt bump into you !!!

Mr De Banke you have to let me know ya mobile number for next time !!! LOL
Old 11 July 2001, 11:23 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jeeeez, my uncle Theo comes over to my country and I have no idea *sigh*.

Shame as well, I have a few people that need *sorting* and Theos one evil geezer

Gutted. See you soon Theo
Ron
Old 11 July 2001, 11:24 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cem, d'oh Will get a banner ad out next time or post in the Muppet forum Like I said, more trips to follow, so next time you're on !

Ian, mobile wouldn't have helped, as the whole net crashed down in the afternoon (we spend hours trying to call/find each other). Was going to mail, but decided to not connect the portable in the end, as work stuff would have gotten through as well, and I wanted no cr@p for a whole week.

Defo next time though !
Old 11 July 2001, 11:27 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Ron, I'm too old now for contracts Somewhere down the line my body has lost it's 6'7" muscular built (all been replaced by some flabby stuff )

Old 11 July 2001, 11:35 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Theo,
Sounds like a great trip!
Any chance you could give me the details of your tuner - Mark Verhoeven - as I've got a Unichip'd Scooby and live in Amsterdam.
As nice as it would be, I can't drive back to PS in Cheltenham everytime I need a remap!
Cheers in advance.
Ian
Old 11 July 2001, 02:07 PM
RichieS
Scooby Regular

Theo, was good to meet you finally I am still recovering from the Indian (restaurant not Harj..lol).

Car looked awesome... euro spec puts the uk one to shame !

Cya next time,

Richie.
Old 11 July 2001, 06:19 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Mark ... dang ! How stupid of me Why didn't I think of that. We were actually talking about you on Tuesday, but for one or the other reason I thought you would be very busy. Sorry 'bout that, seems I have to make up for quite a few things next time

Paul, definite yes for the beer ! Mail me (address is public) and I'll give you my mobile number. And sir, I don't make this posh distinction between swear words/non swear words And yes, I really learned a few new ones

Rich, thanks, but your car didn't look half that bad either, I actually really liked it ! Great color, tints, lipspoiler ... Nothing wrong with your car m8 (needs a high wing though )
Old 11 July 2001, 07:53 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Theo

Sounds like a good trip. Pity the 6th was cancelled

PS is a great place innit ?? Nick is da man when t comes to geometry!!

DJ
Old 11 July 2001, 10:56 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

DJ, yeah, Dono bit was a bummer Damned right about Nick though ... he looked like he just came back from a cameo role in the remake of "Hair" , but he really took the time it takes (read: *lots* of time) to get the geometry absolutely spot on ... no corners cut, pro work from a pro guy.

I really like the PS atmosphere, and the way they work - not meant as a dab towards any other outfit, mind you - very laid back feeling, but highly pro nonetheless.
Old 11 July 2001, 11:29 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

I wasnt trying *that* hard Theo.

I had this passenger that was being a right girl. I thought he was just joking about being a dodgy passenger untill i realised he was sweating cobbs. LOL

Bloody long airfield perimiter road that was, wasnt it?

Subaru Impreza Sport 2.0i..... Most underated car on the road, goes like **** off a shovel when you wind it up.

John (quick foot) felstead LOL

PS Sorry Theo for falling asleep, i was still bolloxed from my ring trip. Goodwood was fantastic.