Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY01 WRX MOD OPTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2002, 12:17 AM
robsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As all of you have felt, the old girl lacks power below 3,500 RPM. I have around 2K to spend on mods. Can you give me your recommendations on what to get and where to get it fitted. I live in West London and don't really want travel too far.
Old 15 August 2002, 07:58 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rob

If you want to keep your warranty entact, then PPP is the sensible option. Roughly £1600 from your dealer. Use the other £400 for maybe a set of the Prodrive springs to lower the car down a bit.

Other option would be to pay a visit to someone like Scoobysport (based in Essex, so not a million miles away) and invest in one of their lovely decat exhaust systems (I did ), which will do basically the same thing as PPP for around £900. Use the rest for your choice of extras - springs, maybe some upgraded discs and pads, new spoiler etc etc.

Chris
Old 15 August 2002, 09:06 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I would echo ChrisL is you want to keep your warrenty then the PPP is the best way to go as this makes the biggest difference to the power of the car while maintaining your warrenty.

I would also consider changing the springs either Prodrive or Eibach (who BTW make the springs for Prodrive).

Also getting the geometery set-up sorted out is a must. I would recommend somewhere like TSL as they do one of the best (if not the best) job. It makes all the difference to the handling of the car. The downside for you is that they are based in Keyworth which is near Nottingham, saying that it is well worth the day out and people from all over the UK go there.

Let us now what you decide and if you want further modding tips!
Old 15 August 2002, 09:31 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

If you are too lazy to go to Scoobysport you could also visit Power Enginering in Uxbridge for a full decat exhaust which should liven things up lower in the rev range. IIRC they are more expensive than Scoobysport, and unfortunately a lot less fashionable - ie resale of a PE exhaust is harder then that of a Scoobysport IMHO.
In terms of 'which is better' I don't have an opinion.
C
Old 16 August 2002, 10:12 PM
robsta
Scooby Regular

I'm not worried about warranty as I have an Hollland import which is just over a year old. I think the Scoobysport decat exhaust system needs to go on my shopping list but will I have a problem in a couple of years when it come to MOT time?
What BHP can I expect from this mod? ideally I would like to get up to about 280 within my budget.
Old 16 August 2002, 11:09 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

IIRC the scoobysport exhaust with decat gives about 250bhp quoted (I'm sure Pete Croney will correct me if I'm wrong!).

Hopefully in the very near future that nice Mr Banks will have sorted out the ECUTEK remap for the new age cars (any news yet John?). This would remap your existing ECU to give better power, cleaner pickup etc. Virtually anyone who has had one on a classic rates the TEK2 highly. I imagine you will be able to get one of these for within your budget, and might get close to 280bhp with TEK2 and a SS system.

Also worth fitting a new air filter element (eg ITG at ~£45)

Phil
Old 16 August 2002, 11:39 PM
robsta
Scooby Regular

Is the TEK2 available for MY01? And where do I get it?

I have no clue about any of this stuff. Hence my questions to you guys!
Old 16 August 2002, 11:45 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Check out www.ecutek.com

It is not available yet, but I'm sure a week or two back somewhere in the drivetrain forum John Banks said it was coming along very nicely thank you, or words to that effect. You could post the question there and see if John will drawn into guessing a release date.

I've still got some warranty left on my Dutch MY02 - am hoping John will have released it by the time I'm ready for him!

Phil