Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2001, 04:26 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your thoughts on the FOcus RS, what do you know?
Old 22 June 2001, 04:40 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I know I ain't driven one and I ain't ever buying a car I ain't driven. Helpful eh?
Launch delayed, due Jan 02 according to Autocar.
FWD, traction control, adequate power.
Better looking than the new WRX IMHO, but how does it drive?
If you can order one with a guaranteed returnable deposit then fine. But IMHO wait till you get to drive it. I'm not lodging a deposit with a car dealer for 6 months, if they go under you're crying. And they'll be plentiful enough once launched.

Chuck
Old 22 June 2001, 04:51 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Yeah well I wouldnt put a deposit down for it eiter, but I might provisionally order order with my finance company that I use. I have faith and reckon it will be as good as they say ie better more than or at least equal to a Scoob! But we shall see, anyway I cant make my mind up between that and a TT!
Old 22 June 2001, 05:09 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jamie Whitfield:
<B>I have faith and reckon it will be as good as they say ie better more than or at least equal to a Scoob! [/quote]

Similar power, but FWD? AND £2k more expensive for the inconvenience I would say it'll be yet another RS that trails in the Scooby wake

Price wise a FWD Focus RS will come in the same as a MY01 PPP! - no contest (except in looks )

If will need the (alledged) Focus Cosworth to even try and hold a candle to a Scoob, but with a best estimate of over 3 years before it arrives (worst estimate being never - have seena memo from Ford to that effect ), and an expected price of £35k IF it gets here it will have to be awesome to even match like-priced hardware

Old 22 June 2001, 05:15 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

My colleague out here in Switzerland has just ordered one for September delivery.

Local price out here has not been confirmed but will be in the same ballpark asn the WRX, ie. CHF45k or £18k (local VAT paid).

This month's Car magazine had a good write up about the prototype's Quaife mechanical LSD, AP brakes, Sachs susupension and it's Integrale-esque engine noise etc.

Not sure how plentiful they will be. Is it just a regular production model? My friend told me that 'the Swiss' were only getting 300 or so.

Will post something if I get the chance to see it's in advance of the UK launch - hey! you get the Mini next month but we have to wait until September!

Stephen
Old 22 June 2001, 05:18 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Jamie
The TT (IMVHO) is just a Golf in a tarty party frock and the RS will blow it away.....
Old 22 June 2001, 07:11 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Talking

I saw a piece on the Focus RS a couple of days ago. The performance was said to be "quiet" suprising, and the handling was said to be "better" than an Integra R, which if thats true-then we could be seeing a real barn stormer!

I personally can't wait. RS' are

Ron
Old 22 June 2001, 07:41 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I've driven a number of Focuses (Foci?? ), including the 2.0 ESP, and they are my favourite (non-hot) hatch.

The RS is going to be a serious machine and surprisingly good...
Old 22 June 2001, 11:53 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's it, the Focus RS is based on a good car, the Impreza is based on a piece of crap. It goes against the old saying you can sprinkle suger on... :-)

I love Scoobs as Ive said many times, but it would make a fresh change with some new competition!

In the past 3 years Ive ran an Impreza Turbo, a Focus 1.8 Zetec, an Integra R and a Puma 1.7, all brilliant cars, but hopefully the RS will be all the best parts of each car rolled into one:

Imprezas friendliness and ability to go fast anywhere, Focuses comfort, Integras mad engine and the Pumas fun factor and ability to act like a RWD!

Well that's what would be ideal!

Anyway Colin McCrae reckons it feels like a 4wd WRC car for the road, and lets face it it should go like stink too!

[This message has been edited by Jamie Whitfield (edited 22 June 2001).]
Old 23 June 2001, 01:02 AM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

I think the RS Focus and new ITR will have a nice scrap, personally I think I'd prefer the later.
Old 23 June 2001, 10:04 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jamie Whitfield:
<B>
Anyway Colin McCrae reckons it feels like a 4wd WRC car for the road, and lets face it it should go like stink too!

[/quote]

So it will be like an impreza but with the disability of FWD And Colin also claims the best sports saloon is the ST200 - its called being on the Ford payroll - he's hardly going to say it's crap is here?

Have no doubt, the Focus RS will be a great (if expensive) Hot Hatch, but won't be able to compete with the EVO/Scooby brigade until it gets AWD. Even the integra struggles to keep up, and that is stipped to the bone and weighing almost 50% less than the RS will

But nice try
Old 23 June 2001, 01:56 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Not wishing to get into a written scrap here but...

Colin McCrea was on record as saying the best car he had ever driven was the 22B even when on the Ford payroll!

Why is it some people cant see past the end of their own nose?

The ITR certain gives a standard Impreza a run for it's money too, so why dont we wait and see?

Old 23 June 2001, 04:18 PM
Spanky RS Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Nothing wrong with a bit of torque steer! the new diff should cure that, old imprezas are nice looking motas, but the new one is plain ugly! If I had the money it would go on the focus every time, but I am biased!

RS forever!

Ian B

[This message has been edited by Spanky RS Turbo (edited 23 June 2001).]
Old 24 June 2001, 09:14 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<B>

Why is it some people cant see past the end of their own nose?

[/quote]

I can - I don't even drive an impreza - question is, can you??

But do the maths...

RS - 200hp, FWD, 1300kg
Scooby - 218hp, AWD, 1300kg

And a ITR will only get close to holding its own against an impreza on a dry twisty road, or on a dry track, and still struggle just to 'draw level'

As I said, the Focus RS will be a stunning Hot Hatch, but when have Subaru contested the Hot Hatch title??

A friend of mine is due to be driving a prototype of the RS any day soon, so will get behind the wheel feedback for you
Old 24 June 2001, 10:41 AM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I sat in the car at the Geneva Motorshow back in February. The front seats are very supportive, but huge. this means zero leg room in the back. No leg room in the front if your anything over 5'08", they are not height adjustable so you have no under thigh support. car looks great, but if you wanted to drive more than about 50 miles you would need to get out and stretch your legs every so often!
Old 24 June 2001, 10:46 AM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

its been said before, and i'll say it again....
FORD= Fix Or Repair Daily
Old 24 June 2001, 11:30 AM
Spanky RS Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Red face

I thought the quoted power figure for the focus was 230 BHP, fwd does mean less transmission losses, but you are right, the focus is a hot hatch, but its all us ford boys have got until they release the cosworth! (if we could afford either anyway)

Old 24 June 2001, 01:27 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford (un)reliability is not what it used to be. A recent survey I saw of warrantly claims for 3 year old cars had Ford and Fiat beating Subaru and BMW for number and cost of claims.
Old 24 June 2001, 03:07 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

My son, Chris placed an order for one a few weeks ago and has the order form (specifically for the Focus RS) which quotes £23000 spot-on, with delivery in Sept.(although I think this might be a little optimistic? as I dont think they have got it quite right yet!)
The car looks great, well built with an interior that knocks the Scoob for six. It also has air con,6-disc CD etc. It will be interesting to do a direct comparison with my Impreza when he gets it!
JohnD
Old 24 June 2001, 04:06 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Spanky RS Turbo:
<B>I thought the quoted power figure for the focus was 230 BHP
[/quote]

Initial rumours were 230hp, but production (according to press pack) will be 200hp - it will give 'between 220 and 230lb/ft torque' though
Old 24 June 2001, 09:10 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GaryC:
[B] I can - I don't even drive an impreza - question is, can you??

But do the maths...

RS - 200hp, FWD, 1300kg
Scooby - 218hp, AWD, 1300kg

OK I do drive an Impreza and yes I can drive it very well, even if I do say so myself! The FOcus is supposed to have 220-225BHP but nobody knows for sure.

And yeah when your mate has driven it I'll be interested to know what he thinks.
Old 25 June 2001, 08:25 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

The Focus RS, like most of the other RS's has an engine not set on its limit's.
Unlike the scoob, they seem to not last too long when modded.
The Zetec Engine seems to be very mod-able, capable of over 400 brake.

Not that i feel that would be good in a FWD car....

Old 25 June 2001, 09:14 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Question

Does anyone have some decent pics of said car they could send me?

Many thanks in advance.

Mossman
Old 25 June 2001, 09:19 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Spanky RS Turbo:
<B> the new one is plain ugly!

[/quote]

Something about a pot and a kettle comes to mind.....

Jza
Old 25 June 2001, 09:28 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<B>
The FOcus is supposed to have 220-225BHP but nobody knows for sure.

[/quote]

WAS supposed/rumoured to have 230, but press pack says 200bhp with between 220-230 lb/ft torque.

Old 25 June 2001, 09:42 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

200bhp+ in the pack Ford have just sent me
Old 25 June 2001, 09:59 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GaryC:

And a ITR will only get close to holding its own against an impreza on a dry twisty road, or on a dry track, and still struggle just to 'draw level'
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in my experience - the integra & std scooby turbo tend to be pretty much equal at track days; sometimes faster, sometime slower but close enough thats it seems to be down to the driver rather than the car.

jon
Old 25 June 2001, 10:03 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

"And a ITR will only get close to holding its own against an impreza on a dry twisty road, or on a dry track, and still struggle just to 'draw level'"

Yes, but you are refering to the current Teg, the new one has over 30BHP more, and loads extra torque, plus is massively improved in the handling department (up to 300% in parts).
So, the new Teg should outgun the standard Scoob, or at least not have any difficulty staying with it, and give the RS some very stiff competition, especially in the areas of reliability and build quality.

Check out
Old 25 June 2001, 02:05 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jon hill:
<B> Not in my experience - the integra & std scooby turbo tend to be pretty much equal at track days; sometimes faster, sometime slower but close enough thats it seems to be down to the driver rather than the car.

jon[/quote]

Isn't that basically what I said??
Old 25 June 2001, 02:27 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by IntegraR:
<B>"And a ITR will only get close to holding its own against an impreza on a dry twisty road, or on a dry track, and still struggle just to 'draw level'"

Yes, but you are refering to the current Teg, the new one has over 30BHP more, and loads extra torque, plus is massively improved in the handling department (up to 300% in parts).
So, the new Teg should outgun the standard Scoob, or at least not have any difficulty staying with it, and give the RS some very stiff competition, especially in the areas of reliability and build quality.

Check out

Quick Reply: Focus RS