Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best technique to corner a scooby? How do u do it.

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2002, 04:57 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As it says really, getting a little use to my scoob now after 4 months and want to start pushing the handling, safely.

What is the best cornering technique. After 3 years in a rwd cossie and 354lbft i am still slow in and fast out.

Also what will the car feel like ?, i have not felt any diffs etc working for me yet.

Cheers

Rottie
Old 13 August 2002, 05:04 PM
Rottie1
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say mine is a MY99 UK wagon on 17inch OZ standard suspension.

Rottie
Old 13 August 2002, 05:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Just throw it in and see what happens

Seems to me (and I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination) but they like to corner under power rather than braking into corners, so I've been getting my braking out of the way early then booting it through the corners (i.e. pretty much slow in fast out but earlier on the gas), feels good, but it might not be the best technique. It has the plus side that if someone is a better driver in a slower car behind you, you slow them down into the corner then leave them behind out of it.
Old 13 August 2002, 05:09 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Still learning as well but the people that say that UK turbos can't get tail happy are lying. If you mildly provoke them the front end will plough on forever. If you mash the throttle and don't back off the diffs will chuck power to the rear and you can get some lovely and very controlable powerslides in the wet. I've even had the back-end drifting a little in the dry under power.

This is fun handling but not the best or fastest, I've still to figure that bit out. Turbo lag keeps catching me out at the moment so I'm aiming for mods to give a faster spool up
Old 13 August 2002, 05:13 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Simon de Banke will give you a technical answer

I'm also slow in, fast out as AWD can bite if you lift off under power, mid-corner. Depending on you/your car that can be played with but better be cautious to start with.

Make sure that you do your geometry settings - Prodrive settings as found on SIDC FAQ are best & almost completely remove the u/steer that is built in @ manufacture.

[Edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! - 8/13/2002 5:15:14 PM]
Old 13 August 2002, 05:14 PM
Bobfrog
Scooby Regular

Sideways is the best technique

slow turn in keeping the revs at the bottom of the turbo range 3k ish I suppose, get all the weight transfer done on the turn in, make sure you're smooth round the bend, look for the exist, wind on the power and go...........
Old 13 August 2002, 05:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I very nearly got caught out in the wet:

understeered into the corner on a neutral throttle, stepped off the gas as the nose ran straight on, tail came round, steered into the slide, gave it some gas and it continued straight on and refused to grip, gave it more gas, no grip, gave it less gas, no grip, eventually I just depressed the clutch and it sorted itself out immediately. Luckily there was nothing coming the other way as a used a very wide section of road to get it under control again.
Old 13 August 2002, 05:25 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I've been getting my braking out of the way early then booting it through the corners (i.e. pretty much slow in fast out but earlier on the gas), feels good, but it might not be the best technique.
No, probably not!

It has the plus side that if someone is a better driver in a slower car behind you, you slow them down into the corner then leave them behind out of it.
... and has on the minus side that you get guys flying past, tail braking in and leaving the corner sideways as you follow
Old 13 August 2002, 05:27 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

understeered into the corner on a neutral throttle, stepped off the gas as the nose ran straight on, tail came round, steered into the slide, gave it some gas and it continued straight on and refused to grip, gave it more gas, no grip, gave it less gas, no grip, eventually I just depressed the clutch and it sorted itself out immediately. Luckily there was nothing coming the other way as a used a very wide section of road to get it under control again.
Nobody forced you to buy a scooby!
Old 13 August 2002, 05:29 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Claudius

I'm blaming my crap tyres
Old 13 August 2002, 05:31 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Easy, pull a handbrake turn.
Old 13 August 2002, 05:41 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did something similar myself.. only with power sliding the rear too far to start with, only there was something coming..
luckily only I got hurt and the two cars involved were written off obviously.

I was used to rear wheel drive and although it was mid-engined it came back in by lifting off the throttle just a tad easier than the Impreza..

Also I think because of the amount of grip you get with the Scooby you are going that much faster then most other cars by the time you start getting slides and then your reactions need to be a lot faster..

I stick to the slow in fast out rule a lot more now.. it is easy to speed up mid-bend but hard to slow down mid-bend.

JGM
Old 13 August 2002, 05:46 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Claudius

I'm blaming my crap tyres
What tyres are you running?
Old 13 August 2002, 06:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Yup im also slow in and fast out, find that you can put down the power you can feel how the car handles better rather than having to brake in the corner and let the tail slide out
Anyway thats the slow way to do it so i just take the corner and flow though it

Tony
Old 13 August 2002, 06:52 PM
serena
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I DONT KNOW ABOUT CARS BUT I FIND MOST MEN ARE FAST IN AND EVEN FASTER OUT
Old 13 August 2002, 06:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends if last orders is coming up or not!
Old 13 August 2002, 06:57 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I wonder who's going to get a corner?
Old 13 August 2002, 07:03 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fast in fast out you can't beat lift off oversteer
Old 13 August 2002, 07:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Claudius, I've got Pirelli P7000's on the front with about 0.5mm of tread and Bridgestone S01's on the rear with about 1mm of tread. Good in the dry, but a bit twitchy in the wet for some reason

The car is now off road until I can afford to put a decent set of tyres on it.
Old 13 August 2002, 07:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

EDITED for stupidity

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 8/13/2002 7:09:08 PM]
Old 13 August 2002, 07:13 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Corner? - lurk in background then fast on keyboard
Old 13 August 2002, 07:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Errrrmmmm....

Fast in and fast out is is fine you just need to stay in the middle for a while.

JGM
Old 13 August 2002, 07:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

So close yet so far from a perfect corner again!

JGM
Old 13 August 2002, 07:16 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

All those Turbos beaten out of the corner by a Sport

Old 13 August 2002, 07:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thought it was a rusty Festa?

I still think the best car sticker I have seen was on an old VW Polo which read :
Rusty
Polo the car with the ^ hole

JGM
Old 13 August 2002, 07:31 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Hello JGM,

sold the F**d to my mum, told her I was giving up driving
Old 13 August 2002, 10:12 PM
keefa
Scooby Regular

The way I do it is (practice !) line up onto the racing line and make sure right gear is selected for exit, with most 'road racers' (not necessarily scooby drivers !) this is usually 1 gear HIGHER than you would normally select, as it carrys more momentum into the corner. Then if you are used to left foot braking, brake fairly hard but in a straight line if poss to keep the car balanced,(if not heel and toe brake)to keep the turbo lag to a minimum, and yes it does eat pads.
for tight turns ie near 90 degrees you may need to lighten one side of the car by feeding in a very small and very very quick amount of opposite steering,imediatly followed by steering in the direction of the corner, this will create a
'pendulum effect' allowing the car to drift slightly, but not recommended unless you have a private road etc, and ahem...not on public highways. If you do do this on a track with er...Kerbs..be careful of the tail end moving a little as kerbs like alloy wheels.
You should then be able to carry momentum and keep the boost reasonably high straight into the corner and be able to accelarate out of a slide (4wd) although too much power and you will be power sliding so much the rear might catch up with the front !
Also be aware of 'float' when all four wheels spin, it will sometimes feel a bit like aquaplanning.
On really tight turns try not to turn in too fast and use the throttle to control the amount of 'dig in'or caster from the front.

Usuall disclaimers etc..This is only what I do on private tracks and not what anyone else should follow.
Old 13 August 2002, 10:25 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

drivingtechniques.co.uk/

Lots of interesting stuff in there a lot of it by SDB

Do not look at driving-techniques.co.uk
that will do you no good at all

[Edited by Andy W - 8/13/2002 10:26:51 PM]
Old 13 August 2002, 11:04 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if in doubt, flat out...

but seriously, depends on whether you want to look cool, or go fast. Fast is generally tight, smooth, slower in to get better traction and higher exit speeds. Too much rocking about because you are using the controls like on/off switches will unsettle the car and lose you grip.

Brake hard, straight, ease off brake most of the way as you turn in, modulate to control yaw and further reduce speed (trail braking) at the same time you are feathering in the throttle, so that there is no sudden change in drive/braking part way throught the corner.
If it's a long corner there will certainly be a portion which you will want hold speed on, not coasting though, not speeding up. As you feel you are past the apex (or approaching the exit on a long bend) you can start to apply throttle, almost probing for grip until you can smoothly nail the throttle and you are out.

You may find that setting up a slight drift works for you, and on road tyres and hard slicks it's probably the way to go. On sticky rubber, you will really unsettle the car if you try and throw it in to the corner, and it will bite you unless you have rollerskate like suspension.
Old 14 August 2002, 12:00 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Notorious,

That has to be the worst tyre combination I have ever heard of! Whoever sold you that is a VERY GOOD salesperson!

Quick Reply: What is the best technique to corner a scooby? How do u do it.