Tailgater ruins my Tuesday.......

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2002, 10:44 AM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

.....and the **** end of my Scooby...

Travelling down a duel carrigeway this morning and some **** in a battered old Cavalier desides he's faster than the Scoob and begins tailgating me.....I decide that I'm not going to be pushed and stick to the limit in the outside lane.

Approaching the next roundabout he's right up my **** and obviously isn't looking ahead, but at the traffic on the roundabout instead. I stop to give way and he just ploughs into the back of me.....

"sorry mate, total brake failure".......brake failure....B*ll*cks !! he was just way too close.....

Anyway, looks like the Scoob has stood up to it quite well...needs a new rear bumper and rear slam panel has been pushed in slightly.....

Hope I find a good repairer.....any suggestions of a good one in South Wales ???

Steve
Old 13 August 2002, 10:48 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Looks like i WAS LUCKY after all. Sorry m8.
Old 13 August 2002, 10:51 AM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

yeah, just read your thread.....why couldn't I have been so lucky...

don't know what it is about people tailgating, from now on if I've got the chance to pull over (dual carrigeway or motorway) I'm gonna do it.....let them get on with their ****e driving....

steve
Old 13 August 2002, 10:51 AM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Is he willing to pay the damage to your car thou?
Old 13 August 2002, 10:54 AM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yes...as I was phoning my insurance company to report the incident, he phoned my mobile and offered to go private...he's only got third party...

Not a chance....I want a mint job done....and...ouch, my neck is really beginning to hurt...must go to the doctors..

Old 13 August 2002, 11:10 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

why is it always ar$eholes with $hite cars that are always trying to prove something? Anyone who has a basic understanding of cars shouldn't bother trying, had some pr*ck in a golf tdi up my **** the other day and I just think, your car aint quick and it never will be so back the f*ck up!!!

hope you get it sorted.

Gary
Old 13 August 2002, 11:25 AM
Aust H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

SteveH - Sorry to hear about the accident. Your right about going through your Insurance company. The thing about the bad neck, are you sure that its hurt??. If it is then sure, go on and screw the ba$tard however, claiming when it dont aint a good idea. If you get the money it will not appear on your claims experience but you will ultimately pay for it in increased premiums!!!!.

The Motor Insurance market is in a mess at the moment and Insurers will raise their premiums if people claim for personal injury.

Just a thought.....
Old 13 August 2002, 11:27 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

St Woolos autorepairs (sp) on Leeway in Newport.
Old 13 August 2002, 01:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hmmmmm total brake failure..... get the police to check his car out and if it did have "total brake failure" then they can do him for having an unroadworthy car

Hope you get your scoob fixed soon thou!

Tony
Old 13 August 2002, 01:48 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

At least he's accepting the blame! that's the worst part of it over, IMO.
Old 13 August 2002, 01:50 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I must admit I seem to get more satisfaction pulling over and letting them go past knowing I have the power if I want it. Around town I just slow to 20 MPH if I'm being tailgated, eventually they either overtake or backoff.

Sorry to hear about your smash, get a courtsey car from today aswell.
Old 13 August 2002, 01:57 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Bad luck he hit you - obviously a complete prat and deserves no sympathy. Go for the full claim.

But, to be honest if somebody wants to go faster than you, whatever the limit, you should always let them past surely ? I know it's hard to let a crappy Cavalier passed a Scooby, but it can be less hassle in the end.
Old 13 August 2002, 02:20 PM
GazP
Scooby Regular

Perhaps if you had moved out of the way and let the car go past you instead of holding him up this wouldn't have happened. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I feel sorry for your car getting smashed, but if you moved over and let the shed past you instead of holding the car up, this would not have happened.

You see it so many times on the roads, people driving to the speed limit when people want to get past, speeding or not, yet they won't move over [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Old 13 August 2002, 02:52 PM
Jasy T
Scooby Regular

Where in S. Wales are you - Harris & Rowe in Taffs Well (just outside Cardiff are v.good.
Old 13 August 2002, 04:25 PM
phaynes
Scooby Regular

Red face

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo!

Hope all is trouble free from this point on!

Paul

Did u enjoy your holiday m8?
Old 13 August 2002, 04:26 PM
phaynes
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry for making u all use the scroll bar!
Old 13 August 2002, 05:05 PM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Screw him on personal injury claim.
You will get about 4-5K without going to court.
Old 13 August 2002, 06:35 PM
Little Miss WRX

If you are going with personal injury get to a hospital quickly to verify whiplash!!!!
Old 13 August 2002, 08:50 PM
Aust H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You guys constantly moan about insurance premiums going up, yet you tell others to screw people for personal injury. You can not have it both ways
Old 13 August 2002, 09:05 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

gazp, well said, just because we drive scoobies, we dont own the roads, pull over & let people past, then perhaps we wont have to read all these;
"i was driving in the fast lane of the motorway doing 70 mph & some nasty person was behind me flashing"

f*ck off out of the way & let people get on with it!!

& as for "i can feel my neck hurting, im gonna claim" hope you get your £2k payout then hope your insurance trebles next year!!!!!

cant do with people who want to claim & get easy money, if you want something then work for it!

Garyk, do you know much about the new golf tdi's, obviously your talking out your **** mate, they'd put up a good fight against most uk scoobs while still doing 50mpg +
Old 13 August 2002, 10:06 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

I disagree, If anyone has the opertunity to make 2-4k from nowhere out of a personal injury claim they will do it, its human nature...
Old 14 August 2002, 09:17 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Human nature - for some maybe but personally i wouldnt unless actually hurt. Premiums are going up all the time to cover personal injury claims etc - so why make them any higher ? £2-3 K might just cover next years premium then ?

Golf TDI - Mid range torque far higher than Uk scooby - you'd be changing down to stick with him !
Old 14 August 2002, 09:35 AM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Things have just got a lot worse.....

Firstly, following up on a few comments made, let me just say that the reason I didn't move over was because there was traffic on the inside lane...thus I COULDN'T move over.

Secondly, having thought about it yesterday, my "knee jerk" reaction to go for an injury claim was wrong. I am in no pain and agree in hind sight that it would be wrong to try and "screw" the system.

HOWEVER....last night the third party contacted me no less than three times trying to offer to pay for the damage.....

Why ??

Because he has no MOT on his battered old Cavalier.....thus no insurance....and obviously is looking at a court case, fine, points on his license and so on.....

Now would it be right to "screw" him for all it's worth and make him pay......OR would you accept the offer of payment and let it lie ????

Comments / ideas greatly appreciated.....

Steve
Old 14 August 2002, 09:55 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Steve,

IMO I would take him to court, it winds me up when I have to pay tax, insurance etc and other people just think they should get away with not paying.

Si.
Old 14 August 2002, 09:56 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Get a quote for a mint job from a bodyshop and dont settle for anything less. If hes willing to drive without MOT insurance etc then he should be willing to pay whatever it takes to keep his record clean.
Old 14 August 2002, 09:58 AM
black knight
Scooby Regular

i say scr*w him. the mere fact that he has no MOT or insurance is an indication that any private settlement will not be sufficient to get your scoob back to it's original pristine state. i'm quite sure he'll try to haggle it down, and why should you take anything less?

moreover, the feeling of driving your scoob after a cheap repair will be worse as mentally u'll not be satisfied.

unless... the culprit is willing to pay for a top notch job...
which i seriously doubt so... (just my opinion)
Old 14 August 2002, 10:00 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

that's a tough one, especially as he seems to be showing remorse. Do you take his money and let him carry on? Or take him to court and let them screw him for bucking the system (probably because he can't afford not to).

I think I would get checked by the doc, subtle like. Making an insurance claim is a pain it has to be said, if he is willing to pay for a proportion (or all) the damage, it may well be cheaper than making a claim, possibly losing some NCB, paying excess,
covering your time etc etc.

But watch out you don't suddenly get a letter from his solicitor saying your being taken to court due to his personal injury!

Paul

Old 14 August 2002, 10:02 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Take the money then report him to the police that way you get your repairs and he gets whats coming to him (and say to him that the damage is 2.5k

Tony
Old 14 August 2002, 10:13 AM
Steve_H
Scooby Regular

Just been told by Tesco that I will have no excess to pay on this claim.....and if he's driving with no MOT or insurance then they'll prosecute and get their money back at NO cost to me.

Does this sound right to you ??

If it is right, then things may not be as bad as I first feared...

Steve
Old 14 August 2002, 10:18 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

go for it.

This is actually good, there is a fund that insurance companies contribute to so that payments can be made to drivers that get hit by non-insured drivers.

Trouble is it doesn't get much publicity, so many people lose out.

Sounds to me like tesco is willing to handle it all for you, which takes away the biggest reasons not to claim.

Paul

Quick Reply: Tailgater ruins my Tuesday.......