Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic WRX STi 4-door or Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2002, 05:33 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently own a 4-door STi version 3. Its great to drive but I find the gearing a little too spaced, hence, having to rev the hell out of it to keep the turbo spinning between changing up! I've had the car 6 months..

3 years ago I hired an STi version 5 Type-R for a day from a TVR dealer in Long Eaton, Notts. I remember it being a little more manic than mine with shorter gearing, acceleration readily available in any gear, and a bit tiring on long dual-carriageways/motorways. Being able to adjust the diff bias was a bonus as I like a little over-steer.

What I'm getting at is has anyone being lucky enough to have owned a Type-R and a four-door?
If, so, what a the pros and cons and which would you prefer?

Thanks

Nick
Old 10 August 2002, 06:10 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Get the best of both worlds 4 door STI Type RA but get a V-Limited one as it has all the toys, short gearing, adjustable diff bascially a lightened Type R with 4 doors .
Old 10 August 2002, 06:13 PM
STI -V4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

definitely type-r 2door...!!!!!
Old 10 August 2002, 07:33 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Am I right in saying an RA has even shorter gearing than a Type-R?

The Type-R I drove supped petrol like be-jesus!

Whats fuel thirst like? I get between 20-25mpg out of my 4-door (average per tank-full).

What I'd really like to do in about a years time is get a version 5 Type-R in blue. V-Ltd would be a bonus though by the sounds of it.

Nick

Old 11 August 2002, 12:14 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the R and RA have identical ratios, the advantage of the RA is that you can get a baby seat in the back very easily.
So if you dont have babies get a 2 door simple !

2 door type R v-limited:

4 door typr RA v-limited:

I reckon the 2 door is the mutts nuts (ok cos Ive got one)
Old 11 August 2002, 04:01 PM
importsti
Scooby Regular

Look old copie sof EVO and they rate the 4 door version higher than the 2 door.

I personally hate 2 doors in general because of the hassle of rear passengers.

Either way,Sti V5 is a great choice.
Old 11 August 2002, 08:44 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

I have owned a STi version IV saloon and a STi version VI type R. For everyday driving the 4 door is the better car, as it had ABS brakes and slightly longer gearing which makes for a better mile muncher. But the ratios of the type R are well placed and ideal for blatting about in, but doing 80mph in 5th gear @4000 revs can be a bit tiresome on long trips, also the lack of ABS saw me lock the brakes up a couple of times when the roads where slippy.

There is no question about it, the looks of the coupe are better and if you want to be noticed then a 2 door in a nice colour will do the trick. But if you want to blend into the background then a silver 4 door is the way to go.
Also the type R's suspension was 10mm lower than the saloon and because of this they have a slightly firmer ride. I found in the STi IV that the faster you went down B roads the smoother it seemed to get, it was like the suspension was ironing out the peaks of each bump. Where as the Type R was just firmer with less compliance, but on A roads with nice tarmac it had a much better sure footed feel to it. I found that when things did go wrong the 4 door was easier to recover, but then I am not the worlds best driver.

I did not find having only 2 doors a drawback, except that when in tight parking spaces, as the doors are longer they need more pivot room to give you the same exit area as the 4 door.

Do not think that by getting a car with ABS you will not be able to have a locking diff, as there is a thread in drivetrain about a company that has made an ECU for the diff which supposedly would enable it to be fitted and used with ABS equipped cars.

I found that with the 4 door I could get as much as 330 miles to about 50 litres of fuel but with the type R I was lucky to see 220 miles usually being 190 miles but this could of been due to wanting to drive harder most of the time due to rapid acceleration from the low ratios in the standard group N gearbox.

HTH ian

Trending Topics

Old 12 August 2002, 12:37 AM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

get a type r i got 1 and it is full on m8 ( in blue with gold 17's ) cheque rhybeck's ride!!
Old 13 August 2002, 07:53 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your informative responses - especially to Ian/555 for your detailed input.

Nick
Old 08 November 2002, 12:15 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

double post - DOH

[Edited by DanTheMan - 8/11/2002 12:25:42 AM]