Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, Good Dealers DO exist

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2001, 12:36 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention.I didn't have to cough up the dosh to get my car back, so it seems I've even got a few days grace to pay the bill

From experience with my previous dealer, I always had to pay before leaving the premises.

Do many others give you time to pay up??

Steve
Old 04 July 2001, 08:26 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We hear all to often of tales of woe and injustice at the hands of Subaru dealers.I myself have been victim of such attitude in the past.

However, since changing my car from a Sport to a 5 door Turbo in March, I have just had the car in for 30K service/Clutch replacement/gearbox problems, back to it's original supplying dealer, who I bought the car from.
I have to say what a breath of fresh air they have been, and feel compelled to sing their praises.

From my original call, nothing has been too much trouble.They even re-arranged a booking for me so I could use their Impreza courtesy car instead of the usual Justy, to allow me to easily get my little boy's car seat in the back.The courtesy car even came with half a tank of fuel, and I didn't need to cover it on my insurance.

I had the clutch replaced under warranty, and had suffered the gearbox popping out of 1st gear.They confirmed the problem after trying the car themselves and arranged for the bits to cure the cause.

I collected the car last night,after dropping it off Saturday morning, and it feels like I've got someone elses car!!
With everything that has been covered, the difference in the car is unbelievable.

So Well Done, Farmers Garage of Matlock, and in particular Colin, the Service Manager.There are probably 3 dealers which are closer to me than they are, but for my money, it was well worth the 90 mile round trip.
I really only went back there to keep the service book stamped by the original dealer, and because they knew the car.I'm glad I did.
They may be few and far between, but it seems decent dealers do exist.
The funny thing is that this is what customer service is all about , and what we should get as standard.Unfotunately, there are so many bad attitudes from so many people/companies, willing to take our money these days, that when we get good service, it seems like the people giving it out are superhuman.Really what they are doing is doing their job.Effectively.
It's the ones not giving out good service who are not doing their job, and get upset when you complain!

As you can guess, I'm one happy chap

Steve

Old 04 July 2001, 08:40 PM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

Adam's of Aylesbury didn't make me pay. Their computer system was down though. I did offer to fix it for my normal daily rate

Didn't bite
Old 05 July 2001, 01:07 PM
NickP
Scooby Regular

Adams have generally always been pretty good to me and have done several things FOC. The car is a euro-import, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Mind you, it has just taken them 2 months to get a power steering pump change under warranty authorised, although I believe that this may be more down to IM than the dealer.
Old 05 July 2001, 01:29 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would have to commend both Bell&Colvill(guildford) and Mill Lane (Bassingstoke). They currently have the best service guys I know of. And have, between them, seen me right on issues raised.
Old 05 July 2001, 01:47 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DrEvil:
<B>I would have to commend both Bell&Colvill(guildford) and Mill Lane (Bassingstoke). They currently have the best service guys I know of. [/quote]

You are recommending Bell & Colvill All I can say is you must get much better treatment from them than I did. After spending 21K with them on a car they looked at me like something on the bottom of their shoe when I took it in for servicing. They then overcharged me and scratched the car while it was being washed. I gave up asking them to fix the problem with the alarm (alarm fob had to be on the glass to unlock the car) because they just kept forgetting to even check it. Everything is too much hassle with them and they make you feel like they are doing YOU the favour by letting you have your car serviced there.

I can recommend Cheam Motors as they fixed my two problems (Clutch Judder and new alarm) with no hesitation whatsover even though I didn't buy the car from them. They also offer a 10% SIDC discount! After my treatment by Bell & Colvill I couldn't be happier with them, even a courtesy car is no problem (Expect a two month wait at bell & Colvill)

Old 05 July 2001, 11:21 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Since I got my Terzo from Adams in Jan 01 I Have always felt well looked after. Even if they do seem a bit pricey.

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 06 July 2001, 12:29 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

J-D,

Point taken, I know you had valid grievences with them. I am just try to put forward, that they have been trying rectify their short comings, and by all account there.

Rgds, Alex
Old 06 July 2001, 10:14 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I can only echo Joey's comments, having experience of both B&C (supplying dealer) and Cheam.

No contest
Old 06 July 2001, 10:21 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I recommend two dealers -

Cheam Motors - Older loan cars but 10% SIDC discount!

Mill Lane Engineering - New loan cars but full price on everything!

The service I recieved from both has been excellent!
Old 06 July 2001, 10:58 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

B&C have been trying hard in the last year to rectify issues raised by customers.. this has meant some changes both procedural and staff wise. They are getting to be more on a par with the other dealers, and in my opinion are pretty much there.

As far as I remember J-D's problems were well over a year ago now. I don't know about you David. And, in all honesty the problems I had were more with IM than anything else, and I've found that it doesnt matter which dealer you go to, if IM need to approve something, it can taking ages!

I think you'll notice quite a difference now, IMHO.

Rgds, Alex
Old 06 July 2001, 11:23 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alex,

My problems were indeed about 9 months ago and B&C may have got there act together but there is no way I would ever go back to find out. I think they feel that if you are under 30 and turn up in jeans and T shirt then you obviously can't afford their cars. Maybe someone should mention to them about people who work in IT??

You mention about IM having to approve things but I have had two warranty claims with Cheam Motors and as soon as I mentioned the problems they offered to fix them straight away (New Clutch and Alarm). They couldn't even reproduce the clutch judder while they had the car but still offered to replace the clutch. I know if I had taken it to B&C I would have had to fight to get them to change the clutch and to be honest with you I can't be bothered. I bought a brand new car with a 3 year waranty so when I have a problem I expect it to fixed no questions asked. I also have zero faith in their work and if you ever spoke to SunilP you would feel the same. Would you believe that on his 1000 mile service they forgot to put the washer for the sump plug on....

I have to say after the treatment and attitude I had from B&C I found Cheam Motors almost embarrisingly helpful.

[This message has been edited by JoeyDeacon (edited 06 July 2001).]
Old 06 July 2001, 11:32 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

HR Owen - bought an elise from their sportscar dealership (before it moved to canary wharf), and was stunned at how good their service was; especially as this was the cheapest car they'd ever sold... next cheapest was basic tvr's (mid 40's ?).

Anyway, they were always spot on, and did extras - for example I took it to get the boot cable fixed and they washed, valeted, replaced the cracked number plate all for free.

Eddy Grimsteads Honda are pretty good too. It helps not being a 60 year old civic owner - its amazing how the service lead time goes from 4 weeks to 2 days when you tell them you want disks replaced with grooved & drilled items, plus mintex pads on a integra type-r

jon
Old 06 July 2001, 01:32 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Hi Alex
Yep, my problems were over a year ago and I'm sure they must have done better since (as they haven't gone out of business )

But... when you have someone as good as Cheam on your doorstep, its hard to let bygones be bygones and try previously poor dealers.

The funniest example of B&C service I received was the following conversation.

7,500 mile service
Me: Did you check the excessive wind noise coming from the rear nearside door
Receptionist: We didn't have time to do that sir
Me: Why not, it shouldn't be too difficult as whenever my 3 year old sits in the back and sticks his hand down between the door and seat, it goes away
Receptionist: Maybe you should take your child with you everywhere you go sir. (deadly serious!!!)

At this point, I stormed out, vowing never to go to B&C again.

BTW, this wasn't all. There is a longer story with this receptionist prior to this final comment

[This message has been edited by DavidLewis (edited 06 July 2001).]
Old 06 July 2001, 01:55 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

DavidLewis,

That pretty much sums my experience of the guy on the service reception at B&C too is he still there Alex?. I too would be stupid to use anyone other than Cheam Motors now as they are only a five minute drive from where I work.

Oh well between you and myself B&C are probably losing nearly £1,000 a year in service costs alone. I wonder if they even care?
Old 06 July 2001, 04:53 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Joey,

Not meaning to be sexist, but the receptionist in my case was female. We had already had a run-in on the phone, which she then followed up with a real "dumb blonde" comment. After that, she seemed hell-bent in being sarcastic (sp?)
Old 06 July 2001, 04:55 PM
Iain Cockburn
Scooby Regular

I've been using Lancaster Reading and to be honest these guys have been a great help, especially Conrad. Piston Slap dealt with no problem although they will not change the noisy clutch bearing under warranty which is a pain. Quoted 315.00 + parts. Reason warranty will not cover is because it's done 41k. Is this correct??
Old 06 July 2001, 05:15 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

J-D - I think I know who you mean, and no he isn't. Him and a few sales staff no longer work there. As I said, they identified some core problems and removed them!

And I believe they have 'changed' one of the mechanics too.

DavidLewis - Total agree and understand, I think if I'd suffered the same I would not still be using them.

I tend to use Mill Lane and B&C for different services, be it servicing, wheel alignment, or upgrades, depends on where I am and what I need. B&C is obviously the most convient, but Mill Lane have a laser wheel allignment thing-a-me-bob (technical term!) Horse for courses etc..

Charles @ Mill Lane is top bloke and new guy @ B&C, Ken, is too.

At the end of the day guys, in the past you've had bad experiences, and you won't go back to 'risk it', which is exactly the way I'd look at it if I were in your shoes.

The point I am making for newbies, is they are good now.

And that your 'onour is my case for the defense

Cheers, Alex
Old 06 July 2001, 05:15 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

It seems that there are varying opinions even of the same dealership.I guess that could be put down to individual's own expectations, and/or experiences at the hands of certain members of the dealers' staff.

I suppose the moral is that if you can't get good service at one place, then try another.It's our money at the end of the day, and no dealer has a right to our custom.

The only stumbling block with owning a Scoob is that there isn't a dealership in every town.I sometimes wonder whether that point is played upon, to a certain degree.

Anyway, it seems I have found a good one, even if it is 45 miles away.Just a shame I can't get my 10% SIDC discount to cover my fuel

How are these discounts negotiatated by the way?Some dealers do, others don't.Any ideas?

Steve
Old 06 July 2001, 05:24 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

All,

We are all happy with our dealer in Bristol, Tileys. Please see this :-