Sponsored by:

TT v STi

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2002, 02:52 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Posted in correct forum this time!!!!)

Some time ago I put a post on here asking for pro's and cons of Audi TT225 and STI7 cos I really couldn't decide what to do.

Well.....I went for a TT.....and it's probably been one of the most expensive mistakes I'll ever make. Don't get me wrong beautiful car - decent performance. But even after day 1 of owning it I knew I'd got it wrong!! There was just no grin factor, it felt numb, build quality wasn't all I'd hoped for either - plenty of rattles and the most boring engine note you could wish for.

Last week I had a drive of my boss's MY01 WRX+PPP and it blew me away - handling is just superb.

So I bit the bullet and this morning picked up a new STi7 in WR Blue from Beechdales in Derby. And even though I'm now going through the agony of running in period you can just feel the potential. I was expecting a harsh ride but it's actually better than the current spec (18" wheels) Audi TT - no rattles - and MASSIVE grin factor. Downsides up to now? Would be nice if wheel balancing weights could be on inside of wheel - brakes don't seem brill- may just need bedding in.

Anyway I live in Teesside and work in the nort west during the week so look forward to seeing other North East and north West owners!!!!

Cheers

Ian
Old 08 August 2002, 03:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Welcome back from the darkside

Good choice old chap!
Old 08 August 2002, 03:52 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Ian

Good choice of car

Not lucky enough to own an STI yet...still on MY95 but still hoping!!!!!

Where in Teeside are you from?
I am from Hartlepool but have lived here in the north-west for 4 years.

May see you about at one of the meets

Paul

Old 08 August 2002, 03:57 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Hanley,

Yup - I'm also a Monkey Hanger!!!!! Drive to Merseyside every Monday and back home ona Friday - there's grooves in the M6 where I put my car!!!!!

Ian
Old 08 August 2002, 03:59 PM
uktony
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ian

From one new STi owner to another; good choice m8.

The grin factor definitely convinced me. I also tried a TT and (don't say it too loudly) an X type Jag. What was I thinking of?

I'm doing my best to get through the running in period; in for the oil change at 1000 miles after 6 days ownership!

I don't get up to the NE much, but if you're ever down my way.....

ukT
Old 08 August 2002, 04:02 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Dont start with the Monkey hanging,i wound a lad up from Sunderland saying wasnt it them that hung the monkey,lets just say he wasnt a happy bunny.(It made me laugh)
Hanley, you must have seen me in Prescott in my Siver MY01 large spoiler and all, ohh and the fantastically good looking driver.

Zippy
Old 08 August 2002, 04:03 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

They hung the monkey in Hartlepool not Sunderland.
Old 08 August 2002, 04:05 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I know that you doughnut thats why i WOUND him up.

Zippy
Old 08 August 2002, 04:07 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went to Uni in Teesside years back and live in the North West - oh how you will enjoy that drive over the Blubberhouses

I presume you do the A19 > Dishforth > Ripon route? The Dishforth road is superb.

DW
Old 08 August 2002, 04:25 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

UKtony - Mmmm - yeah I also tried Jag X Type too - all round about same price range I guess - but at end of day I guess its horses for courses. Was getting a bit put off by the car jacking stuff flying around but as others have said - can't spend all the time worrying about such things.

DreamWeaver - nah, I go A66, M6 - much more scenic - Kirkby Stephen Bank here I come!!!!

So other north easterners how do you rate Petch, Gilesgate, Dennis Common, etc fir servicing - oh and CD Bramall now!!!

Ian
Old 08 August 2002, 05:00 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest was it a brand new TT?

I have on and whilst an out and out sportscar it's a good little Gt and with a few choice mods its much improved- i chose it over over scoob etc for residuals/image/interior and build- aint had problems with rattles in mine and it gets a pretty hard life

Like scoobs it's just the lo rent interior that would annoy me on a 20+k car!

Old 08 August 2002, 05:07 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Foz - yeah it was a brand new one - lowered suspension, 18" wheels, titanium lights. To be fair, you'll occasionally come acrss a wrong'un in every car range. Totally agree with you - great image and interior runs rings round most other cars and residuals are superb (thank god - I didn't lose too much after 4 weeks of ownership!!!) - some importers are selling new ones for the same price as UK dealers!!!! And yeah I've heard excellent stories about AMD mods etc. And I will miss the DIS - very useful. Just at the end of the day that particular car just didn't 'do it' for me.

Ian
Old 08 August 2002, 06:23 PM
ScoobyT
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I also nearly made an expensive mistake when looking to change my 98UK Turbo. I test drove 5/6 Audi S3's in various specs & was waiting for a fully loaded Ebony Black model when I test drove the 1st WRX STi Type UK in the Highlands of Scotland & it was all I could do not to agree to buy it on the spot!!Apart from the 4 week wait & sqeezing a decent deal out of the local dealer in Inverness ( Talk to Bill Urquhart @ DICKSONS of Inverness)good people to deal with!! & also getting a day out at Knockhill driving Subaru UK's STi's on track(brilliant day out))The Scooby is far better to drive than the Audi which would only beat the Scoob in the build dept.On these perfect Scottish roads the Scooby is the car to drive you could not get any better for the money!! So you did the right thing m8. Long Live the King!
Old 08 August 2002, 10:22 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

I fancied a TT but plumped for the STi. I now think that it was the right decision - so do you.

I'm in the York area - you must pass by regularly - call in!

Korky
Old 08 August 2002, 11:41 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

re: tyne tees scoobys

look in the northen section,we meet every other monday night so you are more than welcome to come along to our next meet