ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2001, 02:39 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have always washed my car by hand and used wax wizard products which I have to say are excellent and give a brilliant result.

The problem is I am getting lazy and the thought of spending 4-5 hours washing and waxing my car is not very appealing at the moment. It's far too hot and because I live in a very hard water area the car always looks dirty due to the water marks unless I am fanatical about drying it properly. All that effort for a clean car and it looks dirty again in minutes.

So I was toying with the idea of just trying a car wash and seeing what the results are like. I always put all my other cars through a car wash and have had no problems but due to the rubbish paint Subaru use (did I mention it's a MY00 DBM ) I am a little nervous about it.

Does anybody here put their DBM car through a carwash and are happy with the results? (one of the ones that dries and waxes the car)

I am so scared that I am going to use a carwash and be absolutely gutted at the amount of swirl marks it is going to make and then constantly regret it everytime I see the car in daylight.....

[This message has been edited by JoeyDeacon (edited 03 July 2001).]
Old 03 July 2001, 02:51 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

A chap here at BMW used to put his MY00 through the company car wash and it was fine, but I wouldn't have tried it unless I saw it work... on someone else's scoob!!!!

conclusion: don't try it unless you saw another scoob go through the same carwash!
Old 03 July 2001, 02:51 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would not be pretty.

Mossman
(Wax Wizard EVERY time)
Old 03 July 2001, 03:00 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Dude, DON'T do it.

Word on the street is that the Blow Dryer Arm Thingy doesn't register the spoiler until it feels resistance (I.E. Touches it )especially on the return trip!.

I can vouch for this, though thankfully not in my Scoob, but I had a Vectra SRI and the spoiler used to always cop for some contact.

Also, i think that it would be a shame to have all those lovley layers of Wax Wizard Scratched off, just cos you is getting old and can't be arsed

Don't do it Man. If you really can't be bothered, get one of those mobile blokes round to clean ya car while you are at work. £10.00 but it's worth it.

MIKEY
DBM MY00
Loves It to bits
wouldn't entertain a car wash even if paid to do so!
Old 03 July 2001, 03:01 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Joey

I often use a jet wash, and use a sponge instead of the brush between the soap and rinse parts of the programme. Results are pretty good and no swirl marks. (No water marks either, but that's probably because our water is relatively soft.)

Either way, I wouldn't dream of using a drive-thru car wash on the scoob - strongly suggest you resist the temptation.

There's a lot of middle ground to explore between a five hour wash'n'wax masterpiece and a five minute drive-thru job.

Rich
Old 03 July 2001, 03:11 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Hi Joey
My first Impreza MY98 always went through Charlie Brown’s car wash. I never cleaned it by hand. The lads in the SW were horrified that I would do this but all must admit the car was always very clean and tidy. No marks on the car. I saw the car the other day at Tiley’s open day and all admitted the car still looked great and still went like a rocket. My 2nd and 3rd Impreza’s had very high spoilers so I don’t take the chance with the auto car washes now but use there jet washes. Unless the kids want to earn a few bob.
Old 03 July 2001, 03:29 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am really trying to fight the temptation but there is a Shell Petrol Station just round the corner and it would be so easy....

the problem I have is that I have nowhere in the shade to wash my car so by the time I have finished the car is covered in water marks and looks dirty. I have even tried to wash it after I get home from work (7 PM) in the hope that because it is cooler I won't get any water marks but it doesn't make any difference. Our water is so hard that the water that sits on the spoiler and dries in the sun leaves a white mark that you can feel when you run your hand over the paintwork. I filled a bucket with water yesterday and I couldn't see the cloth at the bottom as the water is so chalky.

I even started thinking about buying Tescos value water (29p for two litres) and using that to rinse it off but my girlfriend just gave me some funny looks when I said what I was planning to do one day when we were shopping.

The only other idea I have had is to maybe buy some sort of water softner/filter which I could use between the tap and the jet washer.

All I want is to be able to quickly wash my car and leave it to dry without it being covered in water marks....

Why did I buy bloody DBM when it shows up every single tiny mark. Silver cars for me from now on.
Old 03 July 2001, 03:58 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Joey,

why don't you give Mark Underwood a ring, he will have advice. Do that at least before deciding on a car wash. Do they have car washes in the UK where there is a bunch of people employed that wash the car by hand like they do in OZ? If so go there before going to an automatic carwash.

Just out of topic, is that chalkie water drinkable?

WREXY.
Old 03 July 2001, 04:13 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

The water is drinkable though a lot of people I know buy bottled water to drink instead. I have to say that when you pour yourself a glass of water and you can't see through it because it is so cloudy it does tend to put you off slightly...

I am beginning to go off the idea now anyway because I just remembered my last car when I left the Autoglym wheel cleaner on too long and it made the alloys all yellow (I would never use any wheel cleaners again) I came up with the good idea of using one of the green washing up scourers to try and clean this crap off (after all it's only plastic how could it damage metal??). Looked ok until the water dried and I realised I had scratched the alloy to pieces.... I am just thinking how gutted I would be if I got the car home and saw in the light that the car wash had covered it in swirl marks....

Come to think about it pretty much every scratch and mark on my car is down to me accidentally scratching it while cleaning it, maybe I should just give up and leave it until the dirt just falls off??
Old 03 July 2001, 07:00 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm with you - the dirtier the better!
Old 03 July 2001, 09:05 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Joey....

You should know better than this....

I have a car valeting business in Hull and the 1st thing I do when a private punter comes in for a valet is sting him for £40 for a machine polish to remove car wash damage

I LOVE car washes. They pay for my Scooby. Lol

Put your car through a car wash and if it does not damage your car on way through you will notice over time, which will be too late, dulling of paint, fine parallel scratching running up and over the car. Your alloys will have fine circular scratches running around them from the scrubbers.

how many machine polishes can Scooby paint take...

A bucket and sponge is by far the safest option but be warned!! Rinse off car thoroughly 1st to remove any grit in the dried on dirt.

Scotty
Old 04 July 2001, 06:30 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Pay some young urchin in your road to wash it for you.
Old 04 July 2001, 07:06 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

There's a new 'Wash Me' centre here in Northampton which is one of those conveyor type washes. The difference with this one is that the brushes are made of foam not the normal bristles, and therefore completely non-scratch.
CK1 isn't exactly going to win any show'n'shines so I've used it a couple of times. The results were stunning. Saw a DBM Scoob come out of it looking like he had spent 5hrs on his drive.
If any of you are passing, give it a look.
It's next to Westbridge garage near the train station.

Stef.
Old 04 July 2001, 07:09 AM
satori
Scooby Regular

Question

Whats the big deal with car washes??? Of course they will damage your paintwork over time but it take quite a long time. I quite often take my P1 into the local Texaco jobbie for a quick spray. Hmm never had my spoiler ripped off yet though LOL. On the whole though I use these american style hand car washes and they are pretty good especially as you get all your glass cleaned inside and out, a fair attempt at wheel cleaning by hand and a hoovering to boot, and only costs a tenner. Beware dash polish though bloody strange chemical that one!!

Another alternative is if you really don't want your Scoob paintwork to be damaged "at all" then you might want to consider sealing it in a vaccumm and put it into storage.

Oh yeah on other thing everytime you drive your car the suns rays are damaging your paintwork to some extent so a decent sunscreen might help!

Pete
Old 04 July 2001, 08:38 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

4 to 5 hours washing/waxing your car

I can get mine washed, dried and waxed in 90 minutes tops - what are you doing??

You only really need to wax every 4-6 weeks - even after 8-10 weeks water still 'beads', so it is not a problem just leaving the waxing to once every 2 months.

Hard water can be an **** - but get a californian water blade (from WW Mark), that will dry 90% of the car and not leave any streaks or 'milky spots'. Quick run arounf with a towel will do the rest
Old 04 July 2001, 10:39 AM
sgould
Scooby Regular

Angry

A couple of months ago I put my car through a good car wash (IMO). Well I thought it was good, I used it before with old cars and the Scoob. Other people say there good as well.

But on this occassion it wasn't. My car went through on the belt and the machine didn't start until the rollers almost went through the window. The brushes were dragged accross my car not spinning.

The car came out half dirty half clean, and there were scraches accross the bonnet.

To top it off the response I got from the person who worked there was, "If you can afford a car like this, then you can afford to get it re sprayed". Of course I wasn't happy and let off steam, but there response was, well it happens.

I have washed it by hand since and feel much better.
Old 04 July 2001, 01:31 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

I stuck my Scooby throch a car wash and have round scratches where the Wheelwash went. And not just little one, the paint is very dull! No way will I EVER use any Spinny thingy car wash again!

I have used a conveyerwash with hand pre and post stuff and it was well worth the dosh. Nice and Lazy.

However I jet washed my car last night. The sun is not a problem after 8.30 as its not too hot. Thats the only thing I can Suggest.
Old 04 July 2001, 04:08 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

In my town here in Greece the servo's (petrol stations) have a bloke employed to wash cars. Guess what they all use, a broom, would you believe it? And the people here think, that is the way to go. I have so many arguments with them about the marks they leave and they don't believe me, until they put their cars in the sun and I show them the marks. I must be one of two blokes here that wash our cars ourselves and polish and wax too. I freak out when I see nice brand new cars, even beautiful Mercs at all the car washes with the broom doing overtime. Those poor cars.

WREXY.
Old 04 July 2001, 04:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Joey,

Knowing you live in my neck of the woods, I don't use petrol station car washes, and I can only be bothered to do the Wax Wizard thing once or twice a year!!

There is a hand car wash place by the Hook roundabout, same road as the Shell Petrol station, opposite Surbiton Tyres.

I think they are called Ace of Spades Car Wash, or someting like that. I take my car there, I do the driving through the various bits, and pay my £15 for a special. (Wash outside, alloy wheel cleaner, windows inside and out, vacumm all carpets including the boot, tyre dresser, dried off, and air freshener) All done is about 10-15 minutes.

Depends on the weather as they can get really busy, with people queuing up on the main road!! Best time is 10am on a Sunday, catch them as they open!

Hope this helps
Andy

PS - No connection, but they always do a good job on my car!
Old 04 July 2001, 04:53 PM
lcha
Scooby Regular

I use a commercial truck broom type thingy. The one with the great big handle that you plug the hose into the bottom. The bristles are very soft and I allways wet the car down first to soften any crap stuck on. Havent had any problems yet.

Lee
Old 04 July 2001, 11:38 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Just to compare, to Aussie car wash places, the Ace of Spades Car Wash, Do they have many blokes there washing, vacuuming the cars to keep up with the busy hours? Do they have a cafe for the customers to sit and have a cup of coffee, while they wait for their cars? Do they also offer polish and waxing services? Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
WREXY.
Old 05 July 2001, 02:08 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Wrexy,

Yes, there are lot's of guys cleaning your car at once!

Up to 6-8 guys washing and cleaning your car!

They have a waiting area (nice and warm in the winter!), but it's better to chat to them, to make sure they don't miss anything!!

They do have a full valet, but you have to leave your car there for that. It can take up to 4 hours, but that's the full works!! - Never had it done, so can't comment, but seeing some of the cars as they leave it may be worth the money!

That said, if I wanted the works, I'd use the Wax Wizard, Mark Underwood for that!

Andy
Old 05 July 2001, 10:41 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Andy,

Yes I agree about giving the car the special treatment with Mark Underwood. I wish he was here in Greece. If he comes here for a holiday I will definately want him to give my two cars the works. I also have a couple more guys that would be interested too. I will be buying some stuff off Mark soon too. I'm using the Meguiars products myself that I brought with me from Australia at the moment, but I do want to try the Wax Wizard products.

WREXY.