Sponsored by:

Fastest ever MG (500bhp)!

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2001, 12:42 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, I've always fancied a lowered meatier looking 75. The rear wheel drive versions sound like they have a fantastic spec, especially with decent yank V8's in them...

Oh yeah, what was the name of the company helping out on those versions?

Erm...

Err...

"Prodrive"
Old 04 July 2001, 12:50 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I do remember the Top Gear feature a while ago, which had Peter Stevens on there (designed spoilers and bits for P1) and they showed the blue 75 saloon (ZT??) and the spolier on it looked very, very similar to a spoiler on another of the cars he designed, I wonder which one though

Hope that they drive as well as the spec suggests. I like the ZT-T, which is the Wagon, which is meant to be a M5 killer, or will at least bite an M5's ankles. Personally think it'd be more of a RS4 killer as it's a wagon and not a saloon, but I like fast Wagons
Old 04 July 2001, 10:43 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Rover reveiled the fastest ever production MG yesterday. 500bhp. 0-60 in 4.5 . Top speed 180 mph and estimated cost at least £03k Check out autoexpress.co.uk for more details
Old 04 July 2001, 10:49 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by brooks:
<B>Rover reveiled the fastest ever production MG yesterday. 500bhp. 0-60 in 4.5 . Top speed 180 mph and estimated cost at least £03k Check out autoexpress.co.uk for more details[/quote]

At only £3k, I might get one of those
Old 04 July 2001, 10:50 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

oopps spot the mistake! That should have read £30k. It is based on the Rover 75, but is rear wheel drive.
Old 04 July 2001, 10:57 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

30k for a rover, that will halve within the first week of ownership.

Do you get a free breakdown truck and mechanic to follow you around, in with the deal.....

Based on the Rover 75, that will be pants looking then. I really don't like the 75, it awful.

Cheers Phill C
Old 04 July 2001, 11:01 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

don't mean to rain on the parade, but....

the 30k is NOT for the big 500bhp monster, it's for the 256bhp V8, with the ultimate being more.

I do have a feeling that this 500bhp is not going to be a production road car, think it's in a similar vien to the MGF extreme that they showed recently, which was a one off, not for production, but shows what can be done.

Trending Topics

Old 04 July 2001, 06:51 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Thats nothing.

i helped prototype the engine that went into this, the MGX255. It used a rover 4.8litre V8 that was twin turbocharged. Janspeed did a lot of the work on the engine but I hand ported the first ever set of cylinder heads designed by my friend Ian Richardson of Wildcat Engineering that were then used as the basis for this engine. It was a totaly new casting design that still retained the basic layout of a Rover V8. We used 2.1" Diameter inlet valves. Just one week before the car was shipped to the USA Janspeed converted it from twin Superchargers to twin turbo's as the superchargers were going supersonic at 1BAR. The night before the first dyno run i had to strip the downdraughts off our esprit race car and take them to the rover powertrain engineers so they could use them to run the engine in, we had the only set of manifolds in the world that would fit!

Sadly the original 5 litre prototype we built blew up 2 weeks ago at croft in the back of the esprit. It lasted 4 years, not bad really. So now we are looking at building a 6 litre version with the latest production spec race heads Ian makes with his own throttle bodies, should be good for 600BHP naormally aspirated.

Shame the project was canned before it was allowed to reach its target of 255MPH.

And yes, that is Andy Green of Thrust SSC fame, he drove it at Boneville.