Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Type R info please :)

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2001, 04:44 PM
memski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my arduous journey to find a standard Gti-R last week, I stumbled across(?) an N-reg WRX STi Type R. Seeing this car in the flesh made me want it more than a Gti-R Thing is I've spent a lot of time researching the Gti-R and I don't know as much about this model of car, which is why I'm here

Firstly I know this car had 25000 on the odo, it looked pretty solid as I would expect; the guy said it was a type RA, and it was 2 door, having done a bit of research later I found that Type R's were the only 2 door WRXs, RA's were made 4 door - so one of us has his facts wrong (I reckon it's him ). Now for a car in this condition (he says they don't ever import cars that score under 4/5 in the japanese car auction), and remembering its an N plate, he was asking £12995, does this seem like a reasonable price? I've tried searching but haven't found any similar cars to compare it with

Would I be better off looking for a different model if I'm buying at this price or a cheaper WRX? I'm not looking to buy right now, as insurance is a bitch (especially where I live) so I'm holding off until Jan 2002 when I have my 4 years NCB (I'm 25 in October).

What should I look out for when inspecting this car in particular, and also if I were to buy it what sort of things can go wrong? I won't bother asking if they will be expensive to fix, I think I know the anwer to this one already I'm not into mods, or upgrading, I just want to keep the car standard and have a reliable, enjoyable commute to work and as a social drive.

Any links will be much appreciated,
Many thanks,
mem

[This message has been edited by memski (edited 30 June 2001).]
Old 30 June 2001, 04:55 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Sounds pricey for an N-plate, even given mileage is very low. An STi V (half the age) can be had for 15k.

Type RA's were stripped out, and designed for rallying. Very short gear ratios, very hard, but the fastest scoob (in STi form). If you are holding off until Jan 2002, I would aim for an STiV, should be virtually within your budget by then

Best this is to look at the FAQ section at
Old 02 July 2001, 12:12 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

sti 2's were all 4 doors I think, I belive the two door was only available after the '96 facelift.

Jon
Old 02 July 2001, 10:11 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

If it is an N reg it will be a ver 3 at the latest and more likely a 2. A quick browse on the Autotrader site with reveal ver II for below £10k now. Insurance is a problem but there are many people who will quote.

If you have a bit more money, then V5's are priced between £15k and £20k, great if you can get one for near £15k.

This one looked good to me -
SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi VERSION
4, 1997, R reg. Finished in black, CAT 1 alarm, 4x e/w, a/bag, quick shift gears, new 17'' tyres, 280 BHP, any trial, find another V4 STi at this price, good cond. £11,750. Tel: 01142 845516 07775 993545 (P)

Or this one though my guess is it is a a V4 not a 5!

1998 R SUBARU Impreza turbo v5 sti coupe
, sonic blue met, 2 Door, MOT-full, 4x4, ABS, Air Bag, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Central Locking, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Full Service History, Luxury pack, One Owner, Power Steering, Rear spoiler, Sports trim, Stereo, Sun Roof. new 18alloys,waterspray,diff lock,stainless steel exhaust, engine prepared by Graham Goode racing.not to be confused with lesser examples first to see will definetly buy , £13495 (T) Birstall Motor Company Tel: 01924 445544

Jon
Old 02 July 2001, 10:15 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Memski,

Worth looking at
Old 02 July 2001, 11:04 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I am certain tere was an sti 3 type r too.
So it will most likely be one of these.

Even then, I am dubious as these were a minimum of a P reg I thought.

Either way, I would say it is still better to hold for an sti 5 for your money, by the time you come to buy teh car.

It might be a touch too optimistic though.
Old 02 July 2001, 11:12 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Memski,

I'm assuming you already know, but Hadleigh Car Sales in Leigh on Sea have two GTi-R's sitting on their forecourt.
Let me know if you need their phone number...

Terry
Old 02 July 2001, 11:28 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Can someone please show me a piicie of an sti 2 type r as I am sure it doesn't exist.

I have always thought the sti3 type r was the first 2 door.
Old 02 July 2001, 11:36 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Question

Memski,

By the way, what's the difference between a podiatrist and a chiropodist..??
Old 02 July 2001, 12:04 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

memski

2 door was introduced in jan '97 - type 4
there was a ver 5 and a 6 (and the 22b of course) with 2 doors - none were RA spec though there were some 'v-limited' edition 5 and 6 cars with different spec so maybe that's where the guy got confused?

price is good for a 25k mile car - I am assuming its a ver 4...
a 5 or 6 will cost 17k and 18k from a dealer with that sort of mileage -

your biggest problem will be with insurance though - most will not quote for anyone under 30 so you may yet be disappointed - if you get a quote it will be on the wrong side of outrageous - good luck

Paul W
Old 02 July 2001, 01:04 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Yes jon, thats what I thought, which is why I dont understand how it can be a genuine n reg 2 door.

memski appears to have seen it as a two door in the flesh and quite rightly pointed it out as a type r not ra, so how can it be a egnuine type r if it is of that vintage?

Old 02 July 2001, 05:49 PM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

Check out the applied model code on the passenger side suspension strut inside the engine bay. There is a table of possibilities in both the SIDC FAQ and on my website
Old 02 July 2001, 07:23 PM
memski-R
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Wow thanks for all these replies
Having read over them all, I think the general conscensus is to wait for a STi V, which I'm all in favour of (due to being 25 in 3 months and getting my 4th year NCB in 6 - oh and possible moving out of my scummy South east london address into a nice Kent postal code; which should bode well for my next insurance quote ).

Still, knowledge is power and I'm learning lots already, not sure if I will end up with the Gti-R or the STi; the dealer that has the Type-R has a Gti-R coming in soon so I will go have a look at that, whilst I'm there I will check out the model code on the Type-r , should be GC8D2DD if I'm not mistaken.

Insurance-wise I've been quoted £1400 on the Pulsar if I buy now (TP f&t), but STi quotes are on the wrong side of £2k (FC) and that's when I'm 25 Might have to look into moving house sooner rather than later... This is down to the Gti-R being low value compared with the newer scoob (hence TP cover making it easier to get lower quotes); looking for a £5k H reg Gti-R as opposed to a 96-98 Sti in the region of £12-14, Trade sales preferred.

Oh and Terry, a Podiatrist vs Chiropodist is like Snickers vs Marathon, both the same thing in essence, just a newer name out to replace the older one. Podiatrist are trained to deal more with Biomechanical problems (sorry no engine-out jobs here I'm afraid lads ) and are more sports medicine orientated, they're also more likely to be State registered which you should always look out for if you have a foot problem (very common especially after those track days ). Anyway that's enough about work, maybe you could mail me the number and address of Hadleigh car sales? And if you know roughly how much these 'R's are going for that would help too Thx mate.

Cheers all,
mem

P.s forgot my password and the e-mail doodah didn't work either heh so a slight name change is in order
Old 03 July 2001, 09:32 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm sure the seller just got confused between type R and type RA. There was no sti 2 type R. If its an sti ra, look for adjustable centre diff, water spray, roof vent, sparse interior (probably but not definately), low gearing and check the chassis number to be sure. Price is too high.

Mike